would a decathlon be better vs. boulevard for cloth dipared baby

lilmama

since the decathlon has the adjustable crotch strap?
I'm really confused on the merits of each of those seats...
Also, is the boulevard markedly safer in terms of side impact? Beacuse the TSIP is what was steering me towards the boulevard. But it seems that the decathlon is preferred a lot of times comfort-wise. :confused:

ADS

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
There are pros and cons of both.

I like the wings and infinitely adjustable harness on the BV. However, the DC has a lot of benefits too: slightly higher top harness slots, adjustable crotch strap, and push-button adjuster. The DC, however, has been linked with difficulties adjusting the harness when the seat is occupied, which would make me lean toward the BV.

For me, it is a toss-up.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The boulevard has the TSIP, which is better SIP than the Decathalon. That is true.

We cloth diapered, and we had no problems whatsoever with the Britax Advantage (a 40 pound FFing harnessed seat, it's not made anymore) and the Wizard (the precursor to the Boulevard). But we also have a peanut of a little girl who was out of cloth diapers at 2.5. We never had a problem with any kind of diaper she was wearing, though. Nighttime fuzzibunz stuffed full, thick premium prefolds, AIOs, nothing.

Wendy

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
We used cloth diapers and have a Marathon. It was really never an issue... He potty trained at age 2, so if he had stayed in them longer I'm not sure if it would have posed a problem or not. He's 4 now and he's close to getting squashed down there... :eek: I think he'll make it to the height limit of the seat (not the weight limit) without it being a problem, but there's not much room down there.

lilmama

Thanks for the replies.
It sounds like the big cloth-diapered bum shouldn't be an issue with the BV. Good! Because I really am leaning toward wanting the TSIP. My girl is tall and thin too, so will probably outgrow any seat in height before weight. :)

tchrgrrl

I have had my 2 and 4 year olds, both cloth diapered in both the MA and the DC - plenty of space in both. IIRC, we didn't even have to move the 4 year old's crotch strap out in DC - even in cloth diapers and even as a really big kid. I am one who has had enormous issues with the DC harnesses -- so much so that I returned the 2 I had and now have my 2 year old in a MA and my 4 year old (now in underpants) in a Regent.

Niea

I have a Roundabout, a Decathlon, and a Boulevard. DD is cloth diapered and we've never had a problem in any of our seats.

Personally, I think the adjustable crotch strap on the Decathlon is way over-rated. Sure, there are three positions, but the actual strap length is not adjustable and it's very short. We didn't buy the Decathlon until DD was 8 mos and went straight for the middle slot. In fact, she's still using the middle slot and probably will up until she's out of diapers. And since she fits fine in the Boulevard and Roundabout, it was just not a big selling point for us. If you'll be putting a small infant in the seat, then maybe the smallest setting will help, but a child who's already outgrown the infant carrier probably would do fine in any other seat, CD or not.

Splash

I think the BV would actually be better, because of the height adjustment.
With the DC, you have to choose from four slots, and rethread the harness every time. With the BV, you just turn the knob to adjust it 1/16 inch at a time, so it is always the exact perfect height. Since cloth diapers vary from day to day, that's easy to keep it right at their shoulders. My son can wear a thin pocket diaper, or a fitted diapers with three soakers and a wool cover, and I always have the straps right at his shoulder.

emandbri

My 3 year old was in cloth diapers and I put him in the decathlon with the crotch strap on the furthest setting because in the marathon it was a little harder to get to the crotch strap because he would sit on it. I had both seats thought, if I didn't already have the decathlon I wouldn't have gone out and bought it just for that reason. Now that he is potty trained I put him back in the marathon because I hate how hard it is to tighten the straps on the decathlon, I really wish I hadn't bought the seat. I got sucked into the "new seat" hype and bought one of the first ones, you would think I would have learned my lesson after buying one of the first marathons which also sucked!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC