Question Any thoughts on the kia sorento?

emars002

I really wanted to get a 2011 but the price is killing me! We want 4WD because we will hopefully be moving back to CT next Janauary. I also wanted the 6cyl. because the 2011s have a third row. I found a 2008 for $10,000 less and has 4WD and a 4cyl. I would loose the 3rd row but I don't think it is a huge deal. The problem I am having is it did poorly in the side impact testing for the driver white the rear passengers did very well.
http://www.iihs.org/ratings/rating.aspx?id=901 according to IIHS, yet or some reason, here it did well:
http://www.safercar.gov/portal/site...VCM1000002fd17898RCRD&vgnextrefresh=1&ID=4398
I am going to assume the test results that say poor are accurate but I am not sure

It do do pretty well in all other crash testing:
http://www.iihs.org/ratings/rating.aspx?id=184

http://www.jdpower.com/autos/articles/IIHS-Crash-Test-Report:-2008-Kia-Sorento

Would this discourage you? I want another vehicle that suits our needs and I really think this will but not if it is a death trap. the reason I am asking is b/c prior to this purchase, I have never looked up crash tests ratings. I just looked up the 3 we do own and they all did poor overall:eek:

So I guess I am wonedring if you think that P for the driver in side impacts should make it a definate no - aslo, the 2011s do not seem to have ratings yet so I would be take a chance with that year also. Does anyone have a sorento? Do you love it? Hate it?

ADS

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
If you like the sorento, why not go for a santa fe? They've had an optional 3rd row and awd for awhile, i think? And teh crash ratings for the 07=09 ,models are GOOD, GOOD, GOOD!

Melanie

One thing about Kias is that they don't hold their resale value well. That's good if you are buying used, but no so good when you are the first owner taking the big hit.

The 100k/10 year warranty is only for the original owner. Subsequent owners get something like 5 year 60k miles.

Can't help more on specific models...we've only been looking at big vehicles lately.

Heather98012

One thing I will say about the 10 yr/100K mile powertrain warranty is that it's kinda misleading. My sister's Hyundai Santa Fe started having problems & she had it in the shop 4 times in like 10 mos. Her warranty only had about 2000 miles left on it (due to high milage...it was only 3.5 yrs old) & they told her that the repair was covered but if her warranty was up, it wouldn't be covered. She asked about the powertrain since this was an engine thing. They told her that it wasn't part of the engine. Basically it was a part that connected TO the engine, not the actual engine itself, so it wouldn't be covered.

She traded it in because she was not thrilled with the prospect of a car having all those issues & the extended warranty was a joke. Moral of my story? The warranty may or may not be worth anything.

Oh yeah...my Hyundai had a problem with power locks 1 month after my 5 yr/60K mile warranty expired. I'm not loving Hyundai because of these 2 experiences. However, my mom, dad, & grandma all drive Hyundai's & they have been fine & problem free (gah, I hope I didn't just jinx them!).

emars002

If you like the sorento, why not go for a santa fe? They've had an optional 3rd row and awd for awhile, i think? And teh crash ratings for the 07=09 ,models are GOOD, GOOD, GOOD!

Thank you! I will check them out - I didn't think they had the option of a 3rd row so I never looked at them

One thing about Kias is that they don't hold their resale value well. That's good if you are buying used, but no so good when you are the first owner taking the big hit.

The 100k/10 year warranty is only for the original owner. Subsequent owners get something like 5 year 60k miles.

Can't help more on specific models...we've only been looking at big vehicles lately.

Very true - we have never bought brand new so i have never considered the value/warranty issue. I would much rather have used anyways because then you are not worried about that first scratch! Maybe if we can hold off awhile longer, more used with 3 rows will come up.

One thing I will say about the 10 yr/100K mile powertrain warranty is that it's kinda misleading. My sister's Hyundai Santa Fe started having problems & she had it in the shop 4 times in like 10 mos. Her warranty only had about 2000 miles left on it (due to high milage...it was only 3.5 yrs old) & they told her that the repair was covered but if her warranty was up, it wouldn't be covered. She asked about the powertrain since this was an engine thing. They told her that it wasn't part of the engine. Basically it was a part that connected TO the engine, not the actual engine itself, so it wouldn't be covered.

She traded it in because she was not thrilled with the prospect of a car having all those issues & the extended warranty was a joke. Moral of my story? The warranty may or may not be worth anything.

Oh yeah...my Hyundai had a problem with power locks 1 month after my 5 yr/60K mile warranty expired. I'm not loving Hyundai because of these 2 experiences. However, my mom, dad, & grandma all drive Hyundai's & they have been fine & problem free (gah, I hope I didn't just jinx them!).

Hmmm, see I don't know anyone with a Hyundai so this concerns me. I will have to look into some reviews and see what I can find

Thank you everyone - Now I came across the mazda CX9 too - but that sucker is really pricey! I don't know what to choose - It is overwhelming - I have a much easier time picking car seats than cars:p

Melanie

Thank you everyone - Now I came across the mazda CX9 too - but that sucker is really pricey! I don't know what to choose - It is overwhelming - I have a much easier time picking car seats than cars:p

The Mazda CX9 is more the size we've been looking at. If you are open to something that big take a look at the Honda Pilot. The Pilot was redesigned in 09. 09 & newer will have a little more cargo room, 3 full LATCH sets 2nd row and 1 full LATCH in third row. The other 2 third row spots have top tethers. Headrests and shoulder belts in all spots. The older generation had 2 full LATCH sets outboard 2nd row. I think it still had 6 top tethers but I'm not positive.

I'm no longer interested in the Mazda because there are no top tethers in the third row. So that row is pretty useless for forward facing car seats. It seemed like the Pilot third row was a bit roomier.

Have you seen the Ford Flex? Kind of a love it or hate it body style. My teenager describes it as a hearse. My dad called it a station wagon. He meant it in a good way, but ugh...station wagon makes me think Brady Bunch and wood panneling. I like to think of it as as styled after an old muscle car. Like the Nomad that was on Tool time.

Heather98012

Hmmm, see I don't know anyone with a Hyundai so this concerns me. I will have to look into some reviews and see what I can find

I should clarify, that I love my Hyundai. It's been great. I'm just annoyed that 5 weeks after the warranty exp. I had a problem. AND I had my car in the shop the week before my warranty was up to have the 35,000 mileage service & a once over & they said everything looked great. Dumb luck I suppose. But the whole "10 year" warranty thing is a bit misleading, IMHO.

Don't let it sway you. Just go in knowing that anything past the 5 yr/60K miles may or may not be covered.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC