Book recommendation for those with "older" kids...

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
If any of you are looking for a sweet book to read to your kids (not infants, toddlers, or preschoolers), I would strongly recommend The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by Kate Dicamillo. It is a heart-warming story of a china rabbit and his journey to finding the definition of "to love."

If you want to read it to youger children, of course you may. It just may not mean anything to them and may upset some sensitive children.

I read this book about two months ago and have passed it around to all the English teachers at my school. They all loved it too. Several read it to their children, who all loved it. I strongly recommend it!

0763625892.01._SS400_SCLZZZZZZZ_V45205628_.jpg

ADS

Amber

Thanks for the recommendation. My 7 year old loves to read and be read to. I will be getting this book!!:D

scatterbunny

I'll check it out, too! Hayley has learned to read basic books herself and LOVES me to read more difficult books to her. I'm thinking of starting the Harry Potter series with her, she loves the movies.

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
Thanks for the recommendation! I'm a children's book junkie so we'll have to look into this one when Nolan is a bit older. :)

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
Where do you teach - you don't have to say which school if you don't want the whole world to know, but what county? Just curious :)

If you're a children's book junkie, then our latest favorites are Zen Shorts and also The Three Questions. Absolutely beautiful books about life!

0439339111.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V46686648_.jpg

0439199964.01._BO2,204,203,200_SCLZZZZZZZ_V46687167_.jpg

Last edited:

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Where do you teach - you don't have to say which school if you don't want the whole world to know, but what county? Just curious :)

If you're a children's book junkie, then our latest favorites are Zen Shorts and also The Three Questions. Absolutely beautiful books about life!

0439339111.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V46686648_.jpg

0439199964.01._BO2,204,203,200_SCLZZZZZZZ_V46687167_.jpg

Fairfax County. I teach seventh grade English. :)

I have seen The Three Questions but haven't read it. I will definitely read it now! Thanks!

I LOVE Zen Shorts. It is a fabulous book, isn't it?!? :)

Thanks for the recommendations! :)

scatterbunny

We LOVE Zen Shorts, too!!! It was one of the first books I ordered for dd from the Scholastic book club (I am addicted to it--I order $40+ in books at least every 2 months :eek: ).

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
We LOVE Zen Shorts, too!!! It was one of the first books I ordered for dd from the Scholastic book club (I am addicted to it--I order $40+ in books at least every 2 months :eek: ).
That's great, though!!! What an outstanding gift you are giving Hayley!! :)

scatterbunny

I LOVE to read, it's my favorite hobby, other than carseats. :D I used to hide under my covers with a flashlight at night as a little girl, so I could read past my bedtime. :p

Hayley enjoys it, too, but so far not to the extent I did. Reading is almost ALL I did as a kid.

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
Speaking of Zen Shorts, I've learned to used Stillwater's philosophy some: today I was keeping a neighbor's son for the afternoon. I had to go turn in the rest of my employment application packet but it was waayyyy out in Manassas. I threw both boys in the carseats and took off, trying to beat rush hour traffic. Our little neighbor friend is quite physical and had been pulling Nolan's hair and poking him quite a bit. And the Outback's seat is so small that he could still get a good grip on Nolan from his carseat. I was dreading the ride out to Manassas b/c I was worried about being in rush hour traffic and trying to keep my child alive in the back seat. I got almost to 395 and realized I needed gas. Crud - running late, right? So I stopped to get gas. While it was pumping, I decided to make sure I had everything I need for the application/employment paperwork. Since the job is with an agency that's licensed by the state, I had to show proof of identity and proof of US citizenship - something I hadn't realized UNTIL I took the time to look through each piece of paper while pumping gas. So... since my purse was stolen a few years ago, I still don't have a replacement SS card. I had to go back home to get my passport - a 10-minute drive in the wrong direction. Bummer. Well, after getting my passport, I passed our neighbor's house on my way back to 395 - and she was home!!! So I called her and asked if she wanted to take the boys rather than me hauling them 1 1/2 hours or so to Manassas and back in rush hour traffic. She agreed :D In the end, Nolan chose to ride with me, but - if I had not had to get gas, then I would've gotten out there without the right IDs, which is why I was delivering everything in person anyway rather than mailing it in. And if I had had it with me, then I wouldn't have had to go back home and get it and I would've missed seeing my neighbor's car. So, if the perceived bad things hadn't happened, then I would have done something worse: drive 1 1/2 hours in rush hour traffic with two fighting boys - and for no reason b/c I would not have had the stuff I was going out there to take to begin with... I really did think of Stillwater! :D

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
Add me to the list of children's book junkies! I spend at least $50 a month ordering from Scholastic book clubs (I have my own account since I have a daycare), plus all the free ones that I get from it. We have so many books, my mom has actually refused to buy them as gifts for my kids when that's what I requested for them for Christmas, and she's a teacher, too! I've just started reading chapter books to my kids, so I'll be looking up the Edward Tulane book. I think they would love it. We love Zen Shorts, too - it sure is popular! :p

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I just want to warn anyone who decides to read The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane:

Sensitive kids (and adults) might have issues with it. There is a child death in the book.

I just want to warn you! I was crying A LOT while reading the book, but I am the type that cries at commercials.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC