Question My Friend has an 8p 05 Suburban, Install seats in the CARGO AREA?

2boys3girls

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=4444

eta: I did just find this thread, link above....

It doesn't seem even remotely possible to me, but my friend insists that her husband "found" a company that will install 2 extra seats in the cargo area (trunk) of their 2005 Suburban. Okay, I suppose "anything" is "possible". I suppose "anybody" could take a couple of seats from "where ever" (like, a junk yard, :jaw:) and bolt them to the floor & put a passenger there. But that doesn't make it an approved or "legal" seat. Am I right or wrong? But do you know if GM will "factory install" additional seats? I'm guessing that the answer is "NO" b/c that particular vehicle was NOT designed to have seats back there. The engineers did not BUILD the vehicle to have the extra seats. I mentioned it to my husband and he brought up the example of taking a Vehicle and converting it to a "handicap" van. Sometimes they take out floors, put in rams, ect..... Does anyone know anyhing about adding "approved" passenger seats to a vehicle? ...... or companies that do this? thanks!

ADS

skitle1802

Their FAQs page says they have passed Federal standards based on independant testing (AAA of Northern California). I don't know if I would put children in those seats since they say they are removable but what if you didn't tighten down the bolts on a re-install?

ETA: I believe as long as they are installed per manufacture's instructions, they are legal. Are they as safe as the OEM seats? Unknown. Would I put my kids in it? No. I'm just saying, no cop is gonna give you a ticket.

littleangelfire

wow. I don't see how the belts on the little seats can possibly be safe. They aren't bolted to the vehicle frame like factory installed belts, they are only bolted to the seat!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
wow. I don't see how the belts on the little seats can possibly be safe. They aren't bolted to the vehicle frame like factory installed belts, they are only bolted to the seat!

Lots of minivans and SUV's have seatbelts only attached only to the seat...

Not that I trust little seats all that much, though :whistle:

(better than riding loose in the cargo area...?)

littleangelfire

wow! I didn't realize that! We've never had a car where it appeared the belts are just attached to the seat.

lovemyfamily

In my 2001 Yukon XL, same as Suburban, all the seatbelts are on the vehicle seats, with the exception of the outboard seats in the middle row.. I believe it is this way on the newer ones as well.

There is a family at our church that has 10 kids. They have 4 rows in their Suburban, they can seat 11, their front seat is also a bench seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC