Is the combi coccoro a safe well made seat?

catamountgirl

Is the combi coccoro a safe well made seat? I want something that is light and wont take up much room especially rear facing in my small nissan sentra. My baby is only 5 months now and is almost too big for her snugride, and we are planning to have more kids in the future.

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
The Coccoro is one of my favorite seats ever. Being able to wrap the seatbelt around the back is a huge safety feature, IMO.

Because it's so small, though, it won't last as long as other seats. Most kids will outgrow it rear-facing around 2.

If you wanted to get it for your baby, then get him a new RF seat and pass the Coccoro down to the next baby, that could work well. It fits newborns beautifully.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
We aren't privy to how most seats are made, nor tested, and all of the testing is pass/fail, so if they're on the market they're considered safe.

The Coccoro is super cute, but small. As long as you're happy to pass it down and get a bigger RFing seat later, great! Enjoy it. :)

Wendy

armywife12

I love the coccoro and plan to use it from birth when we have another baby. The others are right though, they won't last very long. My 29 month old is on the big and tall side and he would have outgrown it RF by 18-20 months old. I tried him out in the seat a few months back and he was about 1/2 an inch under the top slots and that was with the seat uninstalled. Usually he has less room FF after the seat is installed but I know I can't say that for sure. Either way he would outgrow it very soon if not already.
I'm hoping for a petite little girl so the Coccoro will last us longer...lol. If you plan on having another baby around the time your 5 month old will be outgrowing the seat, I think it would be a great seat to pass down and to get the 5 month old another car seat that RF and FF longer. The Sentra isn't terribly small so there really isn't a need for such a small seat but they are just so cute I can't say not to get it...lol.

Laurette

I love the Coccoro. It is my DD's primary seat right now. She is just 20 lbs and has plenty of room above her head. It is a shorter seat than others so it's probably best to try your child out in it before commiting to it. Or at least buy from a online dealer that has a good return policy. Another thing you can do is measure your child's torso to see how much room he would have. The shell height is 22 inches. My DD has a 11 in torso and about 5 inches of shell above her head.

I find it to be very well made. It has tons of nice features that the cheaper convertables in it's class don't have.

Maedze

There's nothing wrong with the Coccorro but it's not the best choice you can make for a child outgrowing an infant seat. It's extremely small, and it won't keep your child rear facing as long as she needs to be (3-4 years).

You're better off choosing a child restraint that accommodates older toddlers and preschoolers in the rear facing position, but can also be installed up right, minimizing the room it takes up in the back seat :)

Jonah Baby

What year is your Sentra?

I had a '96...and nothing wanted to fit in there.
I know that the Sentra adopted more backseat room in model years after '96, however.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
How big is your baby now? We have a Coccoro and love it, but Olivia is 17# at 1 so not likely to get too big anytime soon, lol. She'll go rfing in another seat after she's done w/ this one.

catamountgirl

How big is your baby now? We have a Coccoro and love it, but Olivia is 17# at 1 so not likely to get too big anytime soon, lol. She'll go rfing in another seat after she's done w/ this one.

She is 17.5 at 6 months but has been losing weight b/c of not eating due to reflux and maybe a milk allergy.

catamountgirl

What year is your Sentra?

I had a '96...and nothing wanted to fit in there.
I know that the Sentra adopted more backseat room in model years after '96, however.
It is a 2000, when I rear face the marathon behind the passenger's seat (the seat has to be pushed almost completely forward) you are almost right next to the air bag which makes the seat pretty uncomfortable because you don't have much leg room and you are almost right on top of the air bag

Jonah Baby

Some manufacturers/seats allow for bracing against the seat in front of it, I think Britax may be one of them.
(Check the vehicle manual as well, however. I don't think that the Sentra will have an issue, but in some vehicles, advanced airbags will be negatively effected by a carseat braced against it.)

I think you may want to head to BabiesRUs or similar store and try some seats out in the car.

Also note that any seat you use can go at a more upright angle as the child gains head control (up to 30 degrees on some seats.) This saves a lot of leg room for the passenger.

Laurette

I have installed a MA in a 94 Nissan Sentra 2 door and it worked just fine. Can you install it in the center? There are tricks to get a more upright install which would be fine for a 6+ month old.

Any chance you have pictuers we can peek at?

Gabe360.jpg

Gabe359.jpg

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC