Does anyone's child successfully RF in one car but FF in the other?

decembercat9

DS1 (2.5 YO, ~31lbs w/o clothes, 35" high) RF's in my car in a Graco MyRide 65. Until we're ready to move DS2 (4.5 months) from his SafeSeat to the Britax Boulevard that USED to be DS1's seat, we've got the Blvd in DH's car. We've just realized that it should be turned FF'ing due to its 33 lb RF'ing limit.

Has anyone successfully had a child that RF's in one car, but FF's in the other? He rides in my car (RF'ing) 95% of the time. Rides in Daddy's car are occasional treats. He doesn't HAVE to do it, but he and his dad do enjoy it (DS1 is a car nut and LOVES his dad's car). I'm just worried he'll prefer FF'ing and we'll have a fight on our hands. It's not worth it to me if it's going to create a problem where one doesn't exist. Or am I just overthinking?

ADS

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I did it with two kids without a problem. My kids preferred rfing to ffing and sometimes protested a ffing seat, but I don't put a whole lot of stock in kid protests over safety issues.

amyd

My daycare kiddo rides FFing in his parents' vehicles & RFing in mine. He hasn't protested me putting him in RFing at all.

nmb

Mine does! He hit the 33 lb limit of his older Radian at 31 mos, his newer one goes to 40 lbs so he still rf's in it.

He's done it before too....before I knew that you could install seats more upright for older kids, we thought we couldn't fit any of the bigger seats RF'ing in DH's Neon...so we had a Triumph (old style not the advance) in that car, and DS outgrew that by height at 18 mos, and FF'ed in DH's car then and RF'ed in the (older) Radian in my car. He was about 21-22 mos when I learned you could put it more upright...then we were able to fit a Marathon or the Radian RF'ing and put DS back to RF'ing in both.

No complaints or fights at all....he just gets in the way the seat is. He *has* tried to sit on the regular seat and use the regular seatbelt to buckle...we've just told him that buckle is for Mommy and Daddy, and that DS needs to go in his seat. ;)

armywife12

Mine doesn't have a problem with it at all. He is 29 months old and hit 35lbs a few months ago. He rides FF in my MIL vehicle because she has a FF combination booster for him (I think it's an Evenflo Chase but not sure) and he rides FF occasionally when we go visit my family because they only have Sceneras and he's hit the 35lb weight limit. There are days where he goes back and forth all day and hasn't said anything about it. He tends to sleep much better while RF as well.

emandbri

Elizabeth is okay with it. Starting around 2 1/2 I put a FF seat in Brian's car and she would ride in it occasionally.

mommy-medic

Mine just started doing this in the last 2 weeks. My nanny drives a Nissan Xterra and because te vehicle seatback was so darn vertical, my almost 3 year old had her knees to her chest, so it was time to turn her around. I thought she was right at 30 lbs (bathroom scale) but at the Dr yesterday she is 32.6 lbs (in a 33 lb RFing MA). I ended up getting her a nautilus and LOVE it for the nanny's car. In my car she had been in a 35 lb BLVD, but I wanted to RF her longer, so I got an XTSL (see sig). She has no issues at all- and I am ok knowing that she ERF'd as long as possible in the nanny's car. (and happy that I own a Nautilus and have it on hand for whatever need I may have as well).

Heather86

Connor is 35 pounds so he is rf in the myride in my car and ff in an avenue with James and my mother. He doesn't have any issues with it at all. Some days he prefers one over the other but he mostly likes to ff at this point. At his age and weight I'm not too picky about how he rides. The myride has been ff for about 2 weeks we haven't decided if we are going to flip it back or not yet.

Jonah Baby

Another kiddo that didn't care.

J was actually forward facing by 10.5 months in all vehicles (bad Mommy!)
At 2 years, 3 months I learned of extended rear facing and bought a MyRide for my vehicle.
At that point he was in many forward facing only seats. We had a few months of ERF in an AOE and Scenera before he was 35 pounds, so he was riding in half his vehicles forward facing and half rear facing (whenever I could get him RF, we did.)
I now have one of the new Radian models that RF to 45 pounds. This lives in my car, where he rides the most. In DH's car, where he rides second to most, he's got 2-3 more pounds left RF in the MyRide. In my parents vehicles, which is not a common ride, he is over the RF weight limit and MUST FF.
Regardless of all the switching around, he just doesn't care all that much. He did protest a FF seat once. It was a seat new to him for DH's truck at the time (now in my parents car) and he was over the RF limit. He threw a fit and told us it wasn't safe to ride in, hahaha.

menfusse

Adding my vote in. My dd RF in our car until she turned 4. She had been FF in my MIL's car for about 5-6 months prior to that. She had her one day a week and it was easier on MIL to have her FF. E never mentioned it, let alone complained about it.

twinsmom

Mine ride RF in my car, and FF in daddy's car. They ride in my car most of the time, but don't have any problems or complaints switching back and forth. :)

rodentranger

ODS rides rf in our Altima and ff in any other vehicle. He had been ff for almost a year before I turned him back rf in the Altima.

decembercat9

Thank you so much for all the replies! I feel much better about letting him occasionally FF now! It's interesting (and awesome!) that so many kiddos prefer RF'ing. I'm a little bummed we bought the MyRide in light of the XTSL being released since. I'd RF him til college if I could! lol

Genevieve

CPST Instructor
Absolutely. My youngest is FF in daddy's car and RF in mine (primary car). He has no issues at all and has never made a peep about it.

DahliaRW

Yup. Ds2 rides ffing in dh's car and Grandma's car, but rfing in mine (primary vehicle and I can't buy 2 complete airs!). He sometimes will complain about being rfing in my car, but I think that has more with ds1 being ffing in a booster (he wants to ride in that seat as well) then how he rides in other vehicles!

Jillybean25

My daughter is 33 months old and is rfing in my car all the time but when she goes with her grandpa she rides forward facing because it is easier for him. She seems to like rfing the best but has no problems forward facing.

abacus2

No problem for us with Emily either. For quite a while she was forward-facing in Daddy's two door car and RFing in our main vehicle. No complaints at all. At first she was a little freaked out that we were going too fast when she first rode FFing, but she adjusted quickly.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
My kids for the last year or so have been all RF in my car, but the older 2 FF in other peoples' cars. They'd complain a bit about having to FF but the novelty of different seats won them over. ;) Soon they're going to be full-time boostered and FF though so I guess it will eventually not be an issue any more.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC