As I depart...how often should I do a car seat safety check?

DianaC

I like you guys so much!!

How frequently do you guys check over the seats? I wash covers, etc. usually once every 2 months or so and then reinstall/check. Of course, I always buckle them in so I make sure seats are secure, etc.

Is there anything more I should do on a regular schedule?

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Do you wash the harnesses? That's not allowed.

Just check it over as you put them in, and give it a shake. Though depending on the seat it may move just by putting the child in. In terms of an official inspection, you should get it done once. :) A good tech will make sure you know how to install your seats, so unless you get new seats, or turn them rear to forward facing, or get a new car and then you run up against problems, we shouldn't see you again for installations.

Wendy

Maedze

I pull the seats out at least once a month, check them over, etc.

As Wendy noted, you can only wash the covers, not the harnesses :)

Pixels

A nominal look-over every time the seat is used. No glaring problems, and a quick shake, and in she goes. Though one time the seat was still rock-solid and unbuckled. I only caught the problem because I heard the belt ratcheting back in to the retractor. In my car, I usually load from the driver's side, and the center seatbelt buckle is on the passenger's side, so I can't see it. I still haven't figured out how it got unbuckled, but the buckle is now twisted a half turn so the button is on the inside.

Other than that, I mostly ignore the seats. If they are full of crumbs, I'll pull it out, turn it upside down and shake it and put it back when I get around to it. Once DD got out of the puking baby stage, I didn't have to wash covers any more.

One thing I always, always do is take my time installing the seats. Double and triple check everything. I've made too many stupid errors by not even rushing, but just hurrying the slightest bit. Not worth it. Which is why DD can sit in a crumby seat for a few days until I have the time to reinstall the seat with leasure.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC