Thank you and final decisions/thoughts!

DianaC

I am going to be one of those visitors that pops up and posts a ton of questions and then disappears!! I hope that the regulars that belong to this site do not mind us here simply to seek information/answers. I wanted to say a BIG thank you to everyone!! I have learned a ton and not once has anybody made me feel that any of my questions were silly/ignorant.

This is what I have decided, subject to final thoughts from those with more knowledge than me:

I currently have a 2006 Odyssey equipped with 2 Marathons (for FF 3.5 year old, 38 lbs & RF 1 year old, 22 lbs) and a Frontier (5 year old, 41 lbs)

I am going to transfer the 2 Marathons to DH's vehicle for use with my 5 & 3.5year olds.

I am going to purchase to Radian XTs. One will be used for the baby RF, and the other for either the 3.5 or 5 year old (depending on pattern, the other child will get the Frontier). The Radians give me the option of putting 3 kids in DHs vehicle if ever we were to need that as the family vehicle (unlikely) or put all 3 kids in 3rd row of van if the need arose.

For my father's vehicle (3rd vehicle back up - emergency pick up from school or other favours for me), I am considering 2 Montereys. My Dad wants something easy, not too bulky and something that latches, i.e. won't float around his back seat. **The issue with this is that my current 5 pt harness for the 38 pound child is close to expiry and I am not sure when he will hit 40 lbs. So I might be in a situation where he seat is too old or he is to small for booster. I guess at that point, we can simply plan better and transfer one of the seats from my or DH's vehicle.

The other option is the Oobr booster for my Dad's vehicle, which states it can be used at 33 pounds, or simply get my Dad two Radians as well! But the cost of that vs. the Montereys :eek:

Final thoughts appreciated (though it might spurn more questions!!)

Thanks again!

ADS

Maedze

First of all, the whole point of us regulars being available on the forum is to answer questions from people such as yourselves, so it would be rather counterproductive if we were inexplicably offended :p

1. If you're going to keep your 3 year old forward facing, there's no point to the Radian (unless you need it specifically for space in DH's car). However, if you intend to turn your three year old REAR facing, that's an excellent idea (and highly recommended). The XTSL goes to 45 pounds in rear facing mode.

2. Your dad's car. Your three year old CANNOT ride in a Monterey or an Oobr. Even if the seat is rated that small, three year olds are too young to be safe in boosters. It's not even a debatable 'fine line'. Your three year old still needs a harnessed seat for quite some time to come. The Monterey may or may not be a good choice for the five year old...it tends to fit slim shouldered kids poorly.

If the seat MUST be LATCHed, the only dedicated boosters that LATCH are the Monterey and the Oobr.

Why not buy a Graco Nautilus for both your five and three year old? They should fit them both as harnessed seats very well, and remain secured to the car, either by LATCH or seatbelt, depending on your dad's vehicle :)

DianaC

That is a more affordable option that I didn't consider thoroughly. My friend told me that the Nautilus does not have an adjustable "between leg" strap, and my son complains about this in his Marathon as it is, so I struck it off the list. Any reviews on this issue?

I am certainly going to try to turn my 3.5 year old, though I am not sure how he will take to this after over 2 years FF (ignorance on my part!). My 1 year old will be RF to the Radian seat limit.

I suppose I am back to idea of the Radians for my Dad's vehicle, because if down the road I need him to transport all 3, he will have that option.

I can get the cheaper '09 Radians for his vehicle and splurge on the 2010 models for my car (as I like the idea of the super latch and Dad's vehicle is an 04 anyway!).

Sound better?

Maedze

My five year old is 48 pounds, 47", and is gloriously comfortable in the Nautilus. I honestly don't think it's a problem for most kids, especially petite to average-sized ones, and your kids don't sound huge at all.

The five year old doesn't *have* to be in a harness, but it definitely makes it easier for three-across :D

NannyMom

To echo Maedze because she is so brilliant, you're 3 year old is way to young for a booster. You 5 year old may or may not be ready for a booster seat. If she (or he? sorry) is mature enough, the Monterey may or may not fit well. I would suggest a Frontier or Nautilus for your 3 year old (unless you're going to RF him in a Radian) for Grandpa's car.

The Radian is a good choice for the possibilities of 3 across. Have you considered rear facing your 3 year old in the Radian? Itr can RF up to 45 pounds, and he'd still be safer RF.

all together ooky

The other thing that stood out to me was the Marathon for the 5-yr-old. Does he/she still fit? It is outgrown by height (most common way to outgrow a seat) when the shoulders go above the top harness slot.

The BARE minimum for safe booster use is 4yrs AND 40lbs. We like to see children harnessed longer than that. (My 6 year-old is still harnessed) A booster puts the responsibility on the child to sit perfectly 100% of the time. 5 yrs and 50lbs is a better goal for booster use. There are fairly inexpensive seats that harness beyond 40lbs available.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The Nautilus has two crotch positions.

Buying the older Radians for your dad's car sounds like a good plan. :) Having some at your disposal will probably come in handy at some point down the road. And they have eight year lifespans, so the baby can use them for a long long time as well.

Wendy

DianaC

I knew there was a nagging uncomfortableness about the Montereys!!

OK, so bite the bullet and get 4 new Radians. This gives us the most options should I need my Dad to take all 3 children, plus they fold nicely for storage as he is often in need of his back seat. I am assuming the Nautilus is too big for 3 across option.

My husband is going to die when I tell him $1000.00 in new car seats!! Of course, he doesn't understand why I don't turn the baby and why the other two can't sit in expired Eddie Bauer seats converted to booster.

As usual, I will give him the option of researching all of this as I have done, or fork over the $ and do as I say!:rolleyes:

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
LOL I love the way you handle your DH. :) Mine WOULD do the research (and come to the same conclusion I did, probablY), but it's great. :)

Plan sounds good.

Wendy

NannyMom

I knew there was a nagging uncomfortableness about the Montereys!!

OK, so bite the bullet and get 4 new Radians. This gives us the most options should I need my Dad to take all 3 children, plus they fold nicely for storage as he is often in need of his back seat. I am assuming the Nautilus is too big for 3 across option.

My husband is going to die when I tell him $1000.00 in new car seats!! Of course, he doesn't understand why I don't turn the baby and why the other two can't sit in expired Eddie Bauer seats converted to booster.

As usual, I will give him the option of researching all of this as I have done, or fork over the $ and do as I say!:rolleyes:

Just make sure you check out the deals section to find good deals. You don't usually have to pay full price ;)

libranbutterfly

For your dad's car, you might also consider Ride Safer Travel Vests They are less expensive that another set of seats, and could even be carried in a backpack should someone else need to pick up the children. You would have to show your dad how to use them, but It looks pretty simple.

Edited. I forgot to refresh. Radians are also a good plan for your fathers car.

How much room does the 5 yr old have left in the MA for DH's car. You may have to play "musical seats" for a while. You could put the 5 yr old in a radian in your husbands car and the baby in the marathon until someone outgrows one of the seats, then do more switching, or the oldest may be ready to try a booster part time.

DianaC

I ordered those yesterday, actually, for our travel purposes.

But they look too complicated for my Dad. I would forever be worried he wasn't donig it correctly.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC