Convertible for Chevy 2500 ext. cab, Chevy Tahoe & Cavalier? / was Re: need help selecting convertible car seat, please

U

Unregistered

Convertible for Chevy 2500 ext. cab, Chevy Tahoe & Cavalier? / was Re: need help selecting convertible car seat, please

We are in the same situation. Our son is about to outgrow his infant seat (Graco Snugride). He is 6 months old, weights almost 19 lbs. and is 27 inches long.

We too will be buying 2 seats, but drive 2 vehicles, sometimes 3. The main vehicle out son rides in is an 04 Tahoe with the split back seat with the 2 captain's chairs. The other vehicle he is in is an 03 Chevrolet 2500 extended cab pickup truck. Occasionally he is in my husband's commuter car, a 97 4-door Cavalier.

I am interested in mainly the recommended seat for his size that is good for our Tahoe and Pickup. Like the person who started this thread, budget is not an issue.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
ADS

Niea

Re: Convertible for Chevy 2500 ext. cab, Chevy Tahoe & Cavalier? / was Re: need help selecting convertible car seat, ple

At his age and weight, you'll definitely want a convertible seat that has a high rear-facing limit (at least 35lbs). There are a lot of seats that meet this criteria, but some include the various version of the Sunshine Kids Radian, the Learning Curve True Fit, the Safety 1st Complete Air, and the Graco My Ride.

I am not familiar with Chevy truck, but I am with the Tahoe and the Cavalier. The Tahoe was owned by my DD's babysitter so I've installed seats in it and it did not have LATCH, but it's possible hers was an 03. Does yours have LATCH anchors? In any case, the Tahoe is really wide and roomy and will accomodate nearly any carseat. I had no problem installing a Britax Roundabout both RFing and FFing and a Alpha Omega Elite FFing. If you have LATCH in your Tahoe, the install will probably be even easier. So, I want to leave this open for other Tahoe owners to chime in, but I would be surprised if you had any problem, with the exception of maybe the Radian when installed with the seatbelt.

Now, I owned a 97 4-door Cavalier myself, so I'm well acquainted with this vehicle. I used a Britax Decathlon (very similar to the Marathon) in with with zero trouble. I'm assuming you'll be installing the seat in the center position? Since there is only a lap belt and no shoulder belt, the install could not be easier. There is no LATCH anchors in this vehicle, but there is a top tether (though you won't be using it for a long time since it's only for FFing seats). The Decathlon is a fairly tall seat and it fit easily RFing, so any of the above seats should work. The advantage of installing the carseat in the center is that it can go between the drivers and passengers seats, if need be.

Babies R Us carries a lot of seats and they'll let you try them out in your car before you buy. That way you'll know how they'll fit. The important thing is to buy one that has a high weight limit (RFing, 35lbs or higher and FFing, 65lbs) and a tall shell that comes with it. This way you can keep your son RFing as long as the seat allows, which is the safest thing to do, and then afterwards still give him plenty of room to grow while FFing.

U

Unregistered

Re: Convertible for Chevy 2500 ext. cab, Chevy Tahoe & Cavalier? / was Re: need help selecting convertible car seat, ple

Thanks for the info. The 04 Tahoe does have the lower anchors.

I am probably going to order my seat online. There is not a Babies r Us nearby. The closest one is 2 hours away. The nearest Toys r Us doesn't carry any.

Lenae

I don't know if this will apply to you, but the outboard seats in my sisters '02 Chevy Tahoe have a loop on the seat belt that prevents the forward facing lockoffs on a TrueFit from closing. The loop serves no function except to keep the buckle from sliding all the way down the belt. I was told the loop may be removable, you could check with Chevrolet to find out. It installs super easily with LATCH and seatbelt rear facing, and with LATCH forward facing, but once your son reaches 48 lbs (I believe) you'd have to install FF with the seatbelt. If you decide this seat is a contender, I'd check in out in person if I were you. HTH

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC