1993 Topaz help please!

selinajean

I am doing a seat check tomorrow morning and had the mom email me with their vehicle and seat info so that I know what to expect.
Where can I look up info on what seat belts a vehicle will have, how/if they lock, and where top tether anchors are? I know that I will be able to look it up in the vehicle manual tomorrow, and will do so anyway to show them to do that....but it's nice to know in advance too.
They have a newborn (one week old) and an older toddler who I guess will be FF (just because that is the norm around here) but I am not positive of that.
This is what she sent me for the vehicle and seat info.

1993 Ford mercury topaz
Graco infant car seat
Alpha Omega Deluxe 3 in 1 car seat

ADS

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Wow, girl..you need to get yourself a LATCH manual!

Their local dealership can give them the TA bolts, there's pre-drills in three locations across the back panel. Or, the dealership will install one free of charge for them (most likely.) Seatbelts.. Domestics usually lock at the latchplate for older cars, but anything pre-1995 there's no guarantee it'll lock. For 1994, maybe. For 1993 I'm pretty sure they do not. Have a LC handy. In the Topaz/Tempo and Sable/Taurus you need to twist down the buckle stalk, usually three full 360 degree rotations, for most FF installs. Generally not as much of a problem RF, but sometimes requires one to get the buckle out of your beltpath.

Sometimes I'll pull up for sale ads to look at seatbelts ;)

-N.

selinajean

Wow, girl..you need to get yourself a LATCH manual!

Their local dealership can give them the TA bolts, there's pre-drills in three locations across the back panel. Or, the dealership will install one free of charge for them (most likely.) Seatbelts.. Domestics usually lock at the latchplate for older cars, but anything pre-1995 there's no guarantee it'll lock. For 1994, maybe. For 1993 I'm pretty sure they do not. Have a LC handy. In the Topaz/Tempo and Sable/Taurus you need to twist down the buckle stalk, usually three full 360 degree rotations, for most FF installs. Generally not as much of a problem RF, but sometimes requires one to get the buckle out of your beltpath.

Sometimes I'll pull up for sale ads to look at seatbelts ;)

-N.

Thank you!!!!

And yes, I need a LATCH manual desperately. Where do I order one from? I'm on my own here, as you know, and I'm trying to put together a supply kit of stuff that I need. The LATCH manual is on my list but I don't think that it's something I can just pick up at Zellers. :p

QuassEE

I'll see how many I have in my seat check kit. If I can spare one I'll send it your way.

-Nicole.

snowbird25ca

I know that my neighbor's 96 Ford has switchable retractors. Going back to around 94 I know that Ford was using sliding latchplates in many of their vehicles - minivans, sedans, etc.

I've gone searching for a picture of the backseat of a 93 topaz, but have come up empty, and it's old enough that there aren't any manuals online for it anymore. I would expect there to be a sliding latchplate though, and you'll likely need to use a locking clip. Looks like the last year it was made was 1995, so it never would've had to meet the locking seatbelt requirement. My friend with a 94 minivan had to use locking clips with all her lap/shoulder belts, so I wouldn't hold out hope for them locking on their own in a 93.

I'd bring a couple locking clips with you just in case the seats no longer have them. Just check the storage on the seat before using your own - or ask the mom to pay you for them. ;)

So far as the AOE - depending on the age the top headrest position can't be used with the harness. It was Dec 2008 that the first seats appeared that allowed that top headrest position to be used, so if it's older than that, they definitely can't use the seat in the top headrest position. The old 3in1's did have only 15 or 15.5" top harness height depending on the model, so it's possible it may be outgrown.

canadiangie

IIRC you're going to find a little sticker sewn onto the actual seatbelt with note saying you need to use a locking clip. I can see it in my head, yet I can't recall what it says. Again, IIRC there will be a picture of a locking clip right on the sticker. This of course if the sticker isn't completely faded and impossible to read. ;)

Best have a LC ready. And as Q said you'll need to twist the buckle stalk to shorten.

Good luck, :)

selinajean

Thanks ladies! I appreciate the preparation help. :thumbsup:

Maybe they'll drive in with two rock solid installs, perfectly locked and all this will be for nothing. (I can dream, right?)

At least I have the firehall, so we don't have to wrestle with cold locking clips outside.

selinajean

I'm jealous. My firehalls all refused to allow checks :(

-N.

It took them about a week to look into insurance and a lot of me explaining that I am not a seat installation service. Once they realized that their liability was zilch, they were really happy to be able to offer the space. Our department here is almost completely volunteer so they don't have the manpower to do seat checks themselves...they are just excited to have checks happening at all in town (this time last year there was nowhere to go.)

My hubby was a little worried about me hanging out at the firehall though! LOL

selinajean

Rock Solid! :D

The AO we didn't move at all. It was in perfectly so there was no need to do anything with it. (Other than checking for recalls, etc.)

The infant seat was installed so tight too, but the locking clip was on the wrong side of the seat, which is the main thing that she came to check on....she just didn't feel that it was right. She had it on that side though as it sits on the edge of the belt path when on the buckle side. We twisted the buckle stock down three times but there was still not enough room to put the LC on the outside of the seat. The only way to lock the seatbelt in that combination was to have the LC laying flat in the belt path. It is about 2 inches away from the buckle at that point but the only way to keep it or the buckle itself from hanging out on the edge of the belt path. It does not interfere with the seat at all, we took the seat in and out numerous times to check that.

The only other things that she needed to check/change were the handle position on the seat, and a bundle-me. I explained how to check if it is interfering with the harness when she gets home. She is going to do that and put it away anyway....and pick up a shower-cap style cover. :thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC