Moved: Our RSTV arrived! Lots of Pics!

TnT's Mom

I tried DS#2 out in it today when I picked him up from school. He was excited to give it a go. Some observations and concerns:
He said he felt like he was tipping side to side.
I didn't use the tether since I was using the lap/shoulder belt...maybe that would help with the tipping?
The tether strap and clips are heavy...we tried attaching it in the house and he said the clips felt heavy on his shoulders where they attach. Also it is a narrow fit for his neck between the two tether strap clips...hopefully the pics will explain what I mean.
The crotch strap isn't very long...he says it feels rather snug but it helps keep the shoulder part of the vest from riding up towards his ears...however I am not sure how long it will fit???

Here he is from the front...from the front the lap belt looks a little high.
100_5286.jpg

Here is a side view...from the side the lap belt looks like it is positioned well. Upon further review of this pic, I think he could have scooted a bit further back in the seat. He insisted on using the pillow thing that came with the vest...I don't know that it is that helpful.
100_5291.jpg

Another shot of lap belt fit...
100_5285.jpg

Where the shoulder belt goes...
100_5287.jpg

Tether strap attached...when his head is up straight he says the strap rubs on his neck...he was definitely not a fan of the tether strap but I want to use it if it will make him safer while wearing the vest...any thoughts?
100_5298.jpg

Side view of the tether clip by his neck...
100_5297.jpg

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Re: Our RSTV arrived! Lots of Pics!

Lap belt looks fine to me-- it's not quite like a booster, it distributes the forces differently.

That clip on the shoulder is way different from the old style one!

If the tether is uncomfortable for him I'd skip it when he has a shoulder belt. I sometimes use it because my daughter doesn't complain and it should reduce head excursion some-- but the numbers are so low already that I wouldn't consider it ESSENTIAL when used with a shoulder belt if comfort or convenience are really impacted by using it, unless in a car with a REALLY short distance between him and stuff (seats etc.) in front (and especially if he was behind a chair in front, not just in the middle behind open space.)

scoutingbear

Re: Our RSTV arrived! Lots of Pics!

Hmmm....might now have to get a new style for my 3.5 year old as his "spare" seat. We have the old style for my other child and this one looks a bit simpler, especially the shoulder belt part!

tl01

How long does it take to put on? Could you see using it on vacation for a week at a time or so?

TnT's Mom

How long does it take to put on? Could you see using it on vacation for a week at a time or so?

I actually took a shot and purchased the vest for our upcoming vacation. We are going to use it for a little while now to see if he really likes it and is comfortable in it.

It really doesn't take much time at all to get on...he put his arms through then I velcroed it and buckled it shut and then did the crotch strap. The seatbelt actually slid into the belt guides where it is supposed to go very easily. This afternoon he wore it upstairs from the car and then took it off without undoing the crotch strap...he just stepped out of it after taking his arms out. We tried it this evening in the car with the tether attached and when we got home we were able to take it off in the car and leave the shoulder part attached but I did unhook the tether clips from his shoulders so he could lean forward and get his arms out easier.

I don't think I would want to use it everyday forever...but I think it will be fine for a week's vacation. I have to climb in the back seat to route the seatbelt through the belt guides so it isn't as fast as having him in his Nautilus but it isn't terrible. I think after a couple tries he will be able to route the belt through the guides himself, but I don't think he will be able to get a snug enough fit on his own.

On a side note, he really didn't like it with the tether attached..he said his back hurt??? Also, he didn't like that I couldn't figure out a way for him to use the little pillow/neck/head support thing with the tether. If I don't use the tether with it, is it more like a booster seat (lap/shoulder belt) with the crotch strap acting as an antisubmarine device?

Last edited:

steph_s

Try the tether without the head support thing! I haven't had a single kid yet that actually likes that silly pillow thing and I find that it just causes more complaints (ex: The top tether). Also it will reduce the side to side movement a lot! The lap belt does seem a bit high even for the RSTV. Try buckling the crotch strap tighter so it's down lower on his body, that should help the fit.

TnT's Mom

Try the tether without the head support thing! I haven't had a single kid yet that actually likes that silly pillow thing and I find that it just causes more complaints (ex: The top tether). Also it will reduce the side to side movement a lot! The lap belt does seem a bit high even for the RSTV. Try buckling the crotch strap tighter so it's down lower on his body, that should help the fit.

I didn't use the pillow thing with the tether because it just didn't fit. He says he likes the pillow thing but I thought it looked awkward when we used it even when we didn't use the tether. As far as the crotch strap...I pulled it pretty snug...it's really short though! I think it would be better if they made that longer! I am going to continue to play with the vest and have him ride in it this week to see if he is still likes it as much as his initial response.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
It's not that it's more/less like a booster seat. It's that the tether further limits head excursion, period. It still functions the same way (as long as you have the shoulder belt-- if you use it lap only without tether, there would be nothing restraining the torso.)

nmb

That tether would drive *me* nuts!

Is it at all possible to put the tether straps on the outside of the headrest so the clips aren't against his neck?

Thanks for the pictures! We had been considering getting one of these for travel too...but between that tether thing and the fact that it can't be used on a plane, I don't think we will. At least not for awhile....I bet they end up redesigning that tether piece...maybe not...but I imagine that'll bug almost any kid. It doesn't *feel* very safe to me to have the metal right next to his neck either. I know it had to have been tested that way...but they can't test for everything...dummies only "feel pain" in a few specific locations, a real kid can get hurt on every spot of their body. (thinking of the Touriva notches that must have also passed testing.....)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I don't know that the tether would make the tippy feeling go away, that's just 'how it feels to sit on the vehicle seat'...we're just used to it, he'll be ok with it after a trip or two :)

steph_s

Is it at all possible to put the tether straps on the outside of the headrest so the clips aren't against his neck?

Thanks for the pictures! We had been considering getting one of these for travel too...but between that tether thing and the fact that it can't be used on a plane, I don't think we will. At least not for awhile....I bet they end up redesigning that tether piece...maybe not...but I imagine that'll bug almost any kid. It doesn't *feel* very safe to me to have the metal right next to his neck either. I know it had to have been tested that way...but they can't test for everything...dummies only "feel pain" in a few specific locations, a real kid can get hurt on every spot of their body. (thinking of the Touriva notches that must have also passed testing.....)

I was in a fairly severe accident with a child in the RSTV and 2 other children in car seats. The child in the RSTV was the only one who didn't have back, neck, and hip pain! There was no pain because of the top tether points, nor have I had a child complain about the top tether when used without the neck pillow! I use my RSTV A LOT!! I have my friends children here and there, some foster kids here and there and sometimes the RSTV is the only option. It also helps that I can just throw the size small and size large in my trunk for when I might need it!

mommycat

I was going to ask about the top tether routing as well - I guess your vehicle wants the TT over the headrest as opposed to under/around? Or is that a vest-specific thing? We don't have these vests in Canada, but I sort of wish we did. Looks like a great option for a backup or travel. :thumbsup:

nmb

I was in a fairly severe accident with a child in the RSTV and 2 other children in car seats. The child in the RSTV was the only one who didn't have back, neck, and hip pain! There was no pain because of the top tether points, nor have I had a child complain about the top tether when used without the neck pillow! I use my RSTV A LOT!! I have my friends children here and there, some foster kids here and there and sometimes the RSTV is the only option. It also helps that I can just throw the size small and size large in my trunk for when I might need it!

Old or new style?

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I was going to ask about the top tether routing as well - I guess your vehicle wants the TT over the headrest as opposed to under/around? Or is that a vest-specific thing? We don't have these vests in Canada, but I sort of wish we did. Looks like a great option for a backup or travel. :thumbsup:

We do have a vest available in Canada, but it's only available with a prescription as a special needs seat. (I think it's the 86-Y that we have, but I don't remember for sure)

TnT's Mom

I did just manage to fit the headrest pillow thing between the tether straps and clips and the next time we head out in the car I am going to try it that way and see if he feels more comfortable. I still think the pillow looks awkward when he uses it...almost as if it is pushing his head forward slightly.

Is there only one chest buckle now? The vest looks like it fits him well, what size is it?

He is wearing the size small vest and yes there is only one buckle on it. Under the buckle inside the vest is the velcro...it has 2 horizontal pieces of the prickly side of the velcro on the right and 1 vertical strip of the softer side of the velcro on the left.

I actually routed the tether strap under the headrest when we tried it. The "v" portion of the tether isn't wide enough to go around our headrest like our Britax tethers were able to do. I don't think it would work going over the headrest of my car based on their shape?

mommycat

We do have a vest available in Canada, but it's only available with a prescription as a special needs seat. (I think it's the 86-Y that we have, but I don't remember for sure)
Yes, I did know that (but thank you for clarifying so that if anyone is reading along, it's there), I just meant as a regular option for 3 across, carpools, etc. Especially if it performs well. Would you know what the reasoning is for these not being allowed in Canada? Is it just lack of regulation for it, or something more?

tjham

Thanks for the pictures!

I just got mine too! Same color - my granddaughter picked it! I thought she might go for one of the girly colors but she didn't. But the blue will work out better for use later with my grandson. (BTW, do these have an expiration? Mine was made 9-09)

I thought it came without a manual, but when I went online, it said where to look for it. It was hidden in a pocket inside the front. It is only a piece of folded paper, not very informative. It doesn't even have a good picture of what the top tether hook up looks like.

I haven't had a chance to try it on her, but the tether worries me as well. I wish it wasn't so close to the neck. I wish the hooks were a few inches higher on the shoulders. I can't see ANY way to use the neckrest. It doesn't look comfortable anyway. I think that will just disappear so she doesn't have the option.

She still fits in the Radian so I may wait to tell her this arrived. But once she outgrows the Radian, this will be the only choice for back seat center in her dad's F250 with the stinkin' lap belt. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

TnT's Mom

Thanks for the pictures!

I just got mine too! Same color - my granddaughter picked it! I thought she might go for one of the girly colors but she didn't. But the blue will work out better for use later with my grandson. (BTW, do these have an expiration? Mine was made 9-09)

I thought it came without a manuel, but when I went online, it said where to look for it. It was hidden in a pocket inside the front. It is only a piece of folded paper, not very informative. It doesn't even have a good picture of what the top tether hook up looks like.

I haven't had a chance to try it on her, but the tether worries me as well. I wish it wasn't so close to the neck. I wish the hooks were a few inches higher on the shoulders. I can't see ANY way to use the neckrest. It doesn't look comfortable anyway. I think that will just disappear so she doesn't have the option.

She still fits in the Radian so I may wait to tell her this arrived. But once she outgrows the Radian, this will be the only choice for back seat center in her dad's F250 with the stinkin' lap belt. :rolleyes:

It took me a few minutes to find the manual. At first I was thinking, "Huh, I am just supposed to look at the pictures on the box and wing it?" Then I located the little folded manual in the pocket. Mine was made in 9/2009 as well.

I think you are on the right track to just remove the neckrest thing before she knows it exists. My son was just wandering around the house with his vest on...tether strap attached and trailing behind him...I managed to get the neckrest between the tether straps/clips and he is saying that he thinks that helps the uncomfortableness of the tether but we'll see when we actually try it that way in the car. It's too bad they couldn't come up with some type of cover to go over the metal clips that wouldn't affect the clip function...

My DH has an F150 and while I do love the truck for a lot of reasons and we do have three lap/shoulder belts in the back...the middle seating position in the back has no headrest which really bugs me.

InternationalMama

Does anyone with a new style vest have/know a child close to the 30 lbs lower weight limit they could try it on? I would love to see pictures of the fit for kids in the new lower range!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC