Boosters until 4'9

NannyMom

Has anyone seen a 4'9 child that didn't pass the 5 step test? Just wondering, since that's what some are advertising. :)

ADS

emandbri

Jacob is 5 foot 2 and still doesn't fit well in my van, the shoulder belt is still on his neck. He has a long legs and short torso. I don't fit well in the back of our camry and I'm 5 foot 8. :whistle:

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
My dd is 4' 6" and there is no way she will pass the 5 step test in my captains chairs in 3".

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
It depends on the vehicle, but sure. I'm 5'5" and there are some I might not quite pass in (close enough that I'm not cramming my gigantic butt into a booster, but not well).

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Thanks. I guess I won't be sharing the video I saw on FB that says Booster to 4'9.
It might not be a bad idea anyway. You can always add a caveat that it's still possible not to fit at 4'9" tall. I think the average kid is 4'9" tall around age 10-11 so it's still WAY better than age 8 or 6 or 4 or 2 that plenty of people do now.

natysr

Thanks. I guess I won't be sharing the video I saw on FB that says Booster to 4'9.

I wouldn't let that stop you. If it keeps a child in a booster longer than they would have otherwise, then it did some good.

The only way it could possibly do harm is if someone with a 4' 10" child saw it and took their child out of a booster because of it. The likelyhood of that is extremely slim.

I'm 4' 10". I don't pass the 5 step test in all seating positions in all cars. I also never ride in a booster. It is what it is.

3acorns4Christy

I am 5'1" (on a good day lol) and do not fit well in the backseat of many vehicles. If I had to ride in the back of our truck for an extended amount of time, I would find a no-back booster. But other then in our truck, I wouldn't bat an eye.

I would post the video, because most kids getting to 4'9" will be into their preteen years.

APmama2MAK

Im 4'8" and I have only fit in a seatbelt maybe once ever? Lap belt fits a lot of the time but I am always fighting the shoulder belt, up until a few years ago I always put it behind my back, I dont do that anymore but I do need to find something to fix the issue it gets ridiculous when I am driving.

myliljunebugs

DS is and 4' 3.5" I seriously doubt he will pass at 4'9" since he is not even remotely close in my car. My brother has an extended cab pickup that he fits fine in with no booster (in fact better than with a booster in this instance). He never ever rides in that vehicle, but it just goes to show that just because they fit fine in one vehicle doesn't mean to get rid of the booster either :)

sirrahn

My DS is 4'10" and although he hasn't been in a huge variety of vehicles, he does consistently pass in the ones he rides in. The shoulder belt does tend to bug him a little in DH's car, but if he scoots toward the buckle a little, it's ok. The lapbelt is good, his knees easily bend over and his feet are firmly on the floor and personally, that's my biggest concern.

Last edited:

skaterbabs

I have seen MANY children who did not pass the 5 Step Test at 4 ft 9 inches. Most are close to 5 ft or even taller.

susanx4

wow, DD1 is 4' 9" and has passed 5 step test in my van for over a year! ( grand caravan, and in a mazda3, mpv, focus, impala....) i guess its torso height maybe then ? cause she isn't a big child in anyway!

apsupermom

I'm 5ft 1 and I don't pass in my car, even with the adjustable seat belt height...my 15 year old daughter is 4ft 10 and she does...her torso is 3 inches longer than mine...

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I've met many. Especially in SUVs and minivans' captains chairs (minivans' last rows are sometimes better, but sometimes the geometry is awful for EVERYONE back there, and some sedans will fit better than some captains' chairs. Just depends.)

I'm 5'5" and really there are many vehicles I could use a booster in!

menfusse

I haven't measured A in awhile but I don't think she's quite 4'9 yet. She passes in the center of my MIL Cavalier. She passes everything but the shoulder portion in our Commander. That being said, I'm 5'7 and the shoulder portion in our commander cuts my neck. I doubt she'll ever pass that portion. There are others she doesn't however. She's nowhere close in my mom's car.

She still rides in a booster in all vehicles though.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
To a less-nervous eye, my kids fit most cars by about that height, but I'm happier waiting longer so the belt rides even lower on the lap and the hips are even more developed. I think Germany and some other Northern EU countries have a better idea, it's 12 or 4'11", and that seems to be when my kids fit larger cars (like, captain's chairs) better.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC