School Pick up/Drop off Line Policies

Minniemouse

Senior Community Member
I can't remember if it was on the parentsplace board or the CPS Yahoo list... but at some point in the past few years there were a few policies posted of elementary school pick up/drop off line policies.

A friend of mine is facing a new "rule" in their line where they are ONLY allowed to exit the vehicles on the curb side in order to "expidite" the movement of the line. Problem is her youngest child's convertible seat is installed there (mini van) and the two elder siblings can't climb over him and need to use the driver's side door.

The school is pushing back, telling mom that her only alternative is to park a block (and a crosswalk) away and walk the kids in and out every day (dragging youngest sib back and forth).

I get the impression from mom that there really isn't a set "policy" and they are making up rules as they go. If I could give her one or two to peek at, maybe she could be the voice of reason in her conversation w/ the principal!

I'd appreciate any insight into line policies... thanks!

ADS

Splash

Well....

She could move the baby's seat, or walk.

Really, most schools aren't going to care if she is inconvenienced, their rules are their rules. Since very few schools really care about car seats and the like, they probably aren't going to accept any "my current configuration is safest" reasoning.

Methinks your friend has some walking ahead of her.

Why CAN'T she move the youngest child?

Dillipop

I would think that exiting on curbside would be safest. Why can't she move the child in the convertible seat to another location or have the children climb all the way through to the front passenger door to exit?

Minniemouse

Senior Community Member
Her two older kids have sensory issues and any change to their routine sets them off.

The younger one is on the passenger side so mom can see him, since they are in the car by themselves a good amount of time.

And.. mom isn't just letting them jump in and out of the van... she is getting out and standing next to the door...and guiding them onto/from the sidewalk.

This is a NEW rule at school, in fact only the second day of it. They don't have any written policy at all, which is what I am looking for. Something that outlines what good procedures for getting kids in and out of their cars are with some thought as to the children using proper child restraints.

I know it has been discussed before in one of the two places I mentioned... I just can't find it anywhere now that I need it.

becca011906

Senior Community Member
My kids school has a drop off line as well, i did have a rfing seat outboard passanger side, the older kids just crawled under it, not ideal but would that work??? I guess she would need to keep it fairly clean under the rfing seat... I also did this durring fall/summery months, after that i moved the rfing seat to the middle, so i still had one that had to crawl under but only for pick ups b/c she only goes 1/2 day.
My oldest has a few very mild sensory issues, and i can see how changing the whole routine could not be good, but moving the youngest can't be that bad would it???

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I would advise moving the seat. I know it could cause upset to the kids' routines, but it is the safest option.

sirrahn

I have to agree. My kids ride the bus now, but when I did pick-up and drop off, I parked and walked (toting both an infant and preschooler) when my DS's seat needed to be on the driver's side due to 3 across issues, rather than pull into the line. It's really unsafe to have kids walking around, even with a parent there, as other cars are pulling out and around to exit. I did it once without thinking about it ahead of time and although there was no apparent issue with it at the school, I didn't ever do it again.

Parking and walking isn't that bad. I popped the baby in an umbrella stroller, had my then 3 year old hold on to the side of it and it was a little bit of nice exercise for us. Plus it got me away from the school traffic and actually out of there a little quicker most days.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Our pick-up/drop-off line is meant for older kids only, parents are supposed to stay in the vehicle ... parents with young children are supposed to park in the lot & walk them in.

However, this isn't very well "advertized" so parents just do what they want: young kids walking in alone unsupervized or parents park in the line.

I agree with our rule & wish parents would follow it (it seems Leila & I have our sweetest moments together during the time that we spend unbuckling/putting on coats/walking in), but without a "parking monitor" it just doesn't seem as practical as it should be considering the current trend (kinda like trying to shovel the walk while the snow still falls)

beeman

If the drop off line is on the street it's public property and the school doesn't have control over it. If your friend feels it is safe at that location for the kids to get out of the drivers side, then she should fight it with the school. Just being out of high school, I've seen some wacky policies. The school I went to was K-12, and there was always the issue of using the tunnel under the highway to go to town rather than overtop. The school felt they had complete control over this issue and basically forced us to use the tunnel, even when it was full of mud and water. Now when the cold weather hit the smokers (who were underage), decided to go to the tunnel to smoke, and it would fill up with smoke. I brought this to administrations attention and they told me they couldn't do anything about it because it was off of school property. Schools have this habbit of controlling parts of the issue they wanted to.
Drop off wasn't an issue because most kids were bussed or walked. The issue with driving was us high school kids (don't get me started on that). Anyways, with your issue, it may not be school jurisdiction, so all they could really do is raise a stink. If the drop off line is on school property then she must follow the rule. Tell her to stand up for what she believes in.

OnTheBrink

I have 3 carseats in my back seat and drop two kids off each morning (my daughter and the kid we carpool with). Because the kids need to exit on the passenger side, I have John's seat on the driver's side. (John is the one who doesn't get out.) This makes the most sense for us and is the safest for everyone.

I get the sensory issues thing, but I think they should just make the change and then adjust. Safety is worth it. And I do believe the school's rule on that is about safety.

broken4u05

It is much safer for everyone to get out on the passenger side. I worked at a camp a few years ago and we had a "kiss n ride" and all the kids had to get out on the passenger side. We opened the door for them and closed them after than get a group together and walk them down to there groups. it was only 1 line and so you had to wait for the person in front of you to go so there was no just pulling out. it is just safer. I would say move the seat or walk.

Minniemouse

Senior Community Member
It isn't just a minor sensory issue, her eldest child has Asperger's.. here is a quote from mom...

It has taken him all year to not freak out over putting his school bag in the basket in the corner of the kitchen rather than on the hook by the door. Yes, he does have THAT much trouble with change. Honestly, if I were to all of a sudden say "R, just hop out across D." or "R, here get out up front on the passenger side." He would, most likely, violently refuse and shut down. Gotta love the rigidity and insistence on routine that comes with AS!

The other thing to add to this is mom is actually driving the kids to school because of bullying on the school bus that the principal said was, "beyond her control" :rolleyes:

So this situation is just snowballing on top of the past history of interaction w/ the school.

What I don't understand is what if "I" was driving my daughter to this school? I drive a sedan where my dd is outboard on the driver's side in a Husky. She can't buckle herself in or out so I would have to get out and assist her either way, even if I did go to the trouble of switching her seat w/ her brother's (which I also wouldn't want to do since I wouldn't be able to see him behind me). Thankfully her school doesn't have one of these car lines otherwise I would definitely be one of "those" parents that hold up the line.

I know there are real car line policies out there... I just can't find them. I've done a few general searches online and one of the ones that I found actually stipulated that the child should get into the car and the driver pull away and park the car before securing the child in a seat or seatbelt!!

There has to be a better way to do this.

flipper68

Senior Community Member
Ditto. Move the CR or walk. It's safer for everyone and should help keep the traffic moving smoothly.

If change is a big concern, move the seat on a Friday AFTER you pick up the kids and then spend Sat./Sun. rehearsing and adjusting to the change - even if it's just in the garage or driveway. [Not to be mean. . .but if the children have that big of sensory issues, I'm not sure if I would trust them to get to where they need to be when dropped at the door. Believe me, I "get" sensory issues BUT change is a fact of life, so learning to cope with minor changes is something that needs to be practiced continually. Who knows, the kids might not even care. A friend w/austism moved this summer and we were worried he'd freak. Turns out the family DOG had a harder time adjusting than he did. :rolleyes: ]

I'd love to have a POLICY at my school, it's just nearly impossible to enforce because some parents can't be bothered.

We have a parking lot with a loading area for buses and day cares and parents are supposed to move through the 1/2 moon drive in front of the school. Problem is, vehicles in both the loading area and the 1/2 moon have to enter and exit within spitting distance of each other onto a busy street. The traffic backs up. It a growing area (lots of construction) so one never knows when a big cement mixer or semi is going to come cruising through. We've had people drive through the GRASS of the 1/2 moon to get out. I've seen parents stand on one side of this street and call their child across (never mind that there are teachers in a cross way 10 feet away). Then there's the inconsidered twits that think the world revolves around them. THEY stop directly in front of the school and wait for their child or drop them off - despite the fact that you're supposed to park on the right, DRIVE on the left AND there are places available to park further up the drive.] Finally, there's my personal favorite: people parking in the handicap spots and waiting for their child. It was amusing to take my young friend in his w/c and "park" him in view of the driver. HE would shake his fist at the driver.

BTW: When I did a visual check 2-3 years ago, it was over 80% of the children who were a) not restrained or b) seating in the front seat as they left the 1/2 moon. [Since we're a K-5 school, there aren't many 13 year olds in the bunch.] I've spoken to PTA, two sets of 2nd grade parents, and kindergarten parents and had flyers up. I've only had 3 parents approach me for help (not including staff members - most of whom I sought out because of misuse I noticed).

Sorry. I'll get off my soap box.

OnTheBrink

What I don't understand is what if "I" was driving my daughter to this school? I drive a sedan where my dd is outboard on the driver's side in a Husky. She can't buckle herself in or out so I would have to get out and assist her either way, even if I did go to the trouble of switching her seat w/ her brother's (which I also wouldn't want to do since I wouldn't be able to see him behind me). Thankfully her school doesn't have one of these car lines otherwise I would definitely be one of "those" parents that hold up the line.

I do just that in my Camry. My daughter (kindergartner) is on the passenger side in her Marathon. I have to lean back and unbuckle her. (I unbuckle my own seatbelt to do this.) My 2 year old is behind me in a Roundabout. I actually prefer it this way because it's quicker to get him in and out when we are out and about during the day.

CrabbyBunchX3

At the elementary school I attended, there isn't even a drop off line. You park on the streets, then cross where the crossing guard is stationed right in front of the school. The following is c&p from the school's website

Please remember as you visit and PARK at Ashburton:
Our parking lot is closed to ALL automobile traffic between 8:30-9:00 a.m. and 2:45 –3:25pm
During arrival and dismissal only buses may enter and exit. This is for the safety of our students and is State Law.
When you park on neighboring streets, please park with consideration for the narrow streets and so that neighbours may use their driveways. Police will ticket if you park illegally on the streets, no parking zones, or in the circle at Ashburton.

The Middle School's pick up and drop off procedure

Pick up and drop off procedures
ONLY SCHOOL BUSES ARE PERMITTED TO ENTER THE
DRIVEWAY IN THE FRONT OF SCHOOL BETWEEN 7:15AM AND
8:15AM AND BETWEEN 2PM AND 3PM.
Parents dropping off or picking up students should do so by the tennis
courts between 7:30 and 7:45AM and promptly at 2:40PM. Do not park
in the fire lanes; tickets will be issued.

A side note, the drop off lane at the tennis courts is in the staff parking lot.

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
Would it be possible for her to drop him a little earlier, before the line gets going? Maybe the school wouldn't have as much of an issue with it if it's not during "rush hour"... :)

Also, as a child with special needs, he should be given extra consideration. As a School Psychologist, I think he should be allowed a transition period or something. There are a few ideas:
- ask the school if he can be allowed to get out on the driver's side for the rest of this year and then they'll switch him for next year, especially if she can get there before a certain time when all the other parents arrive.
- ask also if school personnel could meet him at the car to help it all run more smoothly. They usually have an attendant out there, right?

I know this may go against their current "protocol" but, come on! These are real people! From my experience with Aspergers/Autism spectrum kids, it would be a PITA to park, get out, get the kid out, walk across the street, etc - all with another child in tow. If he has a routine that works, then the school should be willing to bend a little, especially if the mom is willing to bend a little, too - getting there a little early and also promising to work on transitioning him to the other side as soon as he's okay with it - maybe over the summer or over spring break?

That's must my opinion from working in school systems before. I'm sure other school personnel here may have different opinions and that's fine ;) At some point you have to find a balance that incorporates a little humanity from both sides, especially regarding special needs kids...

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Schools can be funny about "Kiss-and-Ride" lines.

So far, I have worked at six middle schools and one high school (this is not including the schools I attended). They all had very strict rules for "Kiss-and-Ride" drop-off and pick-up. I believe that even the special needs kids were treated the same way.

I have not yet worked in any elementary schools, but I attended four elementary schools when I was a student. I believe they also had the same strict rules.

I agree with Maria that there should be a transition period allowed for a student on the Autism spectrum. This is probably going to be a very hard transition for him. Perhaps some accommodations can be made.

beeman

"The other thing to add to this is mom is actually driving the kids to school because of bullying on the school bus that the principal said was, "beyond her control" "
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
The school bus safety is partly the schools concern, along with the school division, the company doing the bussing (whether it is a private contractor, or the school division), and the bus driver. If the school refususes to do anything, then all of the other's listed here should be contacted. The child doing the bullying should recive appropriate punishment from the school, and if the behavior persists, the child should be banned from the school bus. Thats the way our school division runs, and there have been students who have recieved suspensions and have been kicked off the bus. The principal needs to get a firm grip of what is in her control, and what is "beyond her control", because it sounds to me as if she is mixing the two up :mad: .

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
"The other thing to add to this is mom is actually driving the kids to school because of bullying on the school bus that the
The school bus safety is partly the schools concern, along with the school division, the company doing the bussing (whether it is a private contractor, or the school division), and the bus driver. If the school refususes to do anything, then all of the other's listed here should be contacted. The child doing the bullying should recive appropriate punishment from the school, and if the behavior persists, the child should be banned from the school bus. Thats the way our school division runs, and there have been students who have recieved suspensions and have been kicked off the bus. The principal needs to get a firm grip of what is in her control, and what is "beyond her control", because it sounds to me as if she is mixing the two up :mad: .

I agree 100%. Bus bullying is NOT okay and should be dealt with immediately by the school administration. The children who is the bully should lose bus privaleges.

flipper68

Senior Community Member
"The other thing to add to this is mom is actually driving the kids to school because of bullying on the school bus that the principal said was, "beyond her control" "
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Since R (the child we're discussing) has Asbergers, he most likely has an IEP as well. THAT puts the bus issue firmly in the principal's lap, as transportation to/from school can be part of the IEP - a legal document.

I'd suggest setting up a meeting with the child's IEP manager and the school's special education coordinator to discuss transportation issues. If that meeting is unsatisfactory, keep moving up the chain of command. . .

Sounds like it's not just car line policy that's an issue here.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC