WHY we do what we do....

mommy-medic

Nobody can predict an accident. Sure, we all see distracted drivers, bad drivers, risk takers, heck maybe we do that ourselves sometimes. Nobody can predict when or where a wreck will happen, but we CAN keep our kiddos as safe as possible.

I wanted to share some wrecks we have had just here in my county. Some were more severe than others. There is no blood or guts or anything gory shown, but only one or two of these wrecks even made the news, and quite a few of them were fatalities. There is one picture of an older, dark red pick up truck missing the driver's door. That one was a fatality, but only because of lack of seatbelt- it would have been survivable!!! The point I am trying to make I guess is that horrible wrecks happen every day and you seldom hear about it- so thank you- to all the parents trying to keep their child as safe as possible!

slide show

and for the life of me I can't get it to play in a larger size on here- tried every code- it should be clickable to see it though. If it asks for a password, it is password9

ADS

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
That certainly confirms my wish to have more goods transported by train and have less semis on the road.

So many mighty scary looking accidents. The one with the missing cover on the car seat, I didn't get a super good look at, why was the cover missing from the seat?

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Whoa. Scary stuff.

Techno -- my guess would be that the parents installed/used the seat without the cover. It did appear to still be attached to the seat, so at least the install was decent?

rodentranger

Yeah. Probably shouldn't have clicked that.
That does not help with my driving anxiety. :eek:
I am glad that I was able to get a seat that allows me to rf my 3 yo though.

thepote

Nice illustration :thumbsup: People definitely forget that driving is the most dangerous thing we do all day.

mommy-medic

The carseat cover was ripped from it during impact. It can be seen in the lower left corner of this pic:
child20safety20seat.jpg

Child was NOT in the vehicle, but mom did lose her life in this wreck (the other part of the vehicle is under the front end of a semi).

What kills me is that I firmly believe if wrecks like this made the news more that parents would- as a general statement- take car seat use a lot more seriously. (Those coming here to educate themselves more aside, the misuse and gross negligence is entirely too high!).

Here is a link to the enitre album if anyone wants a closer look at any of the pics (password9)

http://s185.photobucket.com/albums/x193/angelawaagen/wrecks/

obamamama

Thanks for sharing. I want my oldest son to see these photos, he will be getting a learners permit this summer. :eek: But we all know that being informed as to what CAN happen is the best prevention.

Some of those wrecks were so bad, I couldn't even tell what make some of the cars were. And I pride myself on being able to tell a Chevy from a Ford 3 blocks away.

mommy-medic

That one was driven by a speeding 18 year old- you can see the rest of his car in the median of the parkway in the next pic or two. They cut the car from around him, flew him to the trauma center, and he lived 4 hours- long enough for mom and dad to make it to his side at least. His parents were extremely thankful for that 4 hours they got. :(

NannyMom

So, were some of those wrecks survivable? Would a child have survived in that carseat we see such a nice pic of?

daniele_ut

Your slideshow is also a sobering reminder that despite all of our best efforts, there are some crashes that are just not survivable. I don't envy you your job, but I am really grateful that you are willing to do it and do it well.

mommy-medic

No- There is no way a child would have survived that wreck (the car seat was in the middle of the back seat, and you can see all the stress marks on it- it's astonishing that it was still connected to the vehicle and the only other identifiable objects from that wreck are a muffler and a tire), and some of them were completely unsurvivable, but some of them had fatalities/significant injuries that would have been prevented/lessened by simple seatbelt use :( (the yellow chevy cobalt down the embankment- it hit sideways on the trees (missing the bark now) and the driver was very seriously injured- and unrestrained.

ntrenary

wow, those are some scary pictures. I always think I want to be a paramedic or nurse until I see stuff like that. I'm not sure I'd be able to handle it though.

Mae

In that picture with the naked seat, it looks like it's installed FF with the seatbelt through the RF belt path. Also, is the middle harness strap even usuable when FF?

I'm glad there wasn't a child in the car. :( How sad.

Were there any children in the wreck with the two seats on the ground? With the car upside down? I noticed the seats. :(

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC