Question DOM vs purchase date lapse...

brelza

Anyone know approximately how quickly seats get from the manufacturer to a store? Does it vary according to store or manufacturer? I was looking at a Lincoln print EFTA and was shocked it was dated 6-2009 at our local TRU. Surely seats over a year old normally aren't on store shelves or are they? Maybe it's just a TRU thing since we have a BRU nearby. I didn't get time to stop and check out BRU's DOM. We aren't due until Sept but have been eying up the new seats out there trying to figure out what we'd like to get. Also, does anyone know when new prints come out?

Last edited:
ADS

alamode

Re: DMO vs purchase date lapse...

I would guess it varies on supply, demand, and the manufacturer. I bought a Chicco Adventure travel system with the KF30 in 2008 and it was backordered due to demand. When it arrived, it had the same month/year as my purchase! That said, I just went to KMart to look at the Sceneras and they were dated July 2008!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
It probably got to the store not long after 06/09 (which is only 8 months before now, maybe 7 if it was late 06, which is actually not too, too bad :eek:), and then it may have sat in top stock for a few months before they finally got it downstocked to the point where it was on the floor and easy for you to see the DOM on the label. Newer seats probably came off the truck an got sold in the meantime, it's just sort of how that works, unfortunately. The Lincoln is a tru/bru cover only, I think, and it's only been out a couple months, so it could be a bit before new covers come out. Are you skipping the infant seat altogether?

brelza

It probably got to the store not long after 06/09 (which is only 8 months before now, maybe 7 if it was late 06, which is actually not too, too bad :eek:), and then it may have sat in top stock for a few months before they finally got it downstocked to the point where it was on the floor and easy for you to see the DOM on the label. Newer seats probably came off the truck an got sold in the meantime, it's just sort of how that works, unfortunately. The Lincoln is a tru/bru cover only, I think, and it's only been out a couple months, so it could be a bit before new covers come out. Are you skipping the infant seat altogether?

Gotcha. I was trying to figure out because I got my britax through the mail and they were only I think 2 and 3 months after DOM so I was a bit concerned. Most likely we are skipping the infant seat all together because I can't carry one around anyhow. I said MAYBE if I can get one off of freecycle that isn't old or grungy we might do that for a few months but we always had evenflo seats and they were generally outgrown at 3-4 months of age. I'd just leave the infant seat in the van. I use a sling or mei-tei when out most times and it's much easier on my back.

Judi's DH

Senior Community Member
Re: DMO vs purchase date lapse...

I would guess it varies on supply, demand, and the manufacturer. I bought a Chicco Adventure travel system with the KF30 in 2008 and it was backordered due to demand. When it arrived, it had the same month/year as my purchase! That said, I just went to KMart to look at the Sceneras and they were dated July 2008!

:yeahthat:
Time from manufacture to shelf can vary allot so it's always best to chk the box while shopping sort of like milk.

brelza

Actually, it's scarily common to have seats a year or 2 old on shelves in some places..even older sometimes.

Apparently so! I mean we used the same seat for my 1st as my 2nd and a family member gave us a seat for our 3rd which was then used by our 4th and we were good to go. We did buy our AOs which went though all our kids but they were all "new" to the market at the time and pretty new on the shelves. Maybe because there are more seats out there now than 8 years ago? I don't know. It just took me by shock to see that. Especially when they are saying seats can be used to 50lb and 50"....you'd think they'd have longer than 6 year lives or a shorter shelf life. My 5y/o still can fit easily in some of these seats and my 7y/o is too tall for them so it seems as long as I get a relatively recent DOM I'll be good to go to needing this seat and a booster. Although I will dearly miss my regents by that time I'm sure. :-(

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
Gotcha. I was trying to figure out because I got my britax through the mail and they were only I think 2 and 3 months after DOM so I was a bit concerned. Most likely we are skipping the infant seat all together because I can't carry one around anyhow. I said MAYBE if I can get one off of freecycle that isn't old or grungy we might do that for a few months but we always had evenflo seats and they were generally outgrown at 3-4 months of age. I'd just leave the infant seat in the van. I use a sling or mei-tei when out most times and it's much easier on my back.

Be very, very careful getting a used carseat from someone you don't know. Its not a place I would go. If you don't want to spend money on an infant seat or know someone you can borrow one from that you know and trust than I would just buy a new convertible to use from birth.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC