Makes my blood boil- Utah's news

ADS

MomToEliEm

That is really frustrating that the bill might actually pass. Have you contacted your local government official to see how they might vote on such a bill? I think this would be a good time to get all the Utah SafeKids coalitions involved in a letter writing campaign expressing that this bill should not pass.

christineka

I contacted my representative who said she was for the protection of children. I remember she gave me a similar response back when the original booster bill was going through. I don't know who is next up the line.

daniele_ut

The comments are right in line with what I saw when the booster seat law was passed initially. It's sad that it might pass and that so many people think it's a good thing. I get so tired of the carpooling argument. If you want the convenience of carpooling, then buy your kid an extra booster seat to leave in your neighbor's car, for crying out loud. I have 2 kids, I work full time, dh works 70 hours a week and yet we still figure out how to get our properly restrained children to and from school every day.

I think that Janet, who was quoted in the article was the tech who checked the installs on my Marathons when DS was just a baby. She's great.

jennzee

I brought the bill to Doug Wright's attention last Friday on Facebook....he's talking about it on his show in KSL radio right now if you want to tune in!

daniele_ut

I brought the bill to Doug Wright's attention last Friday on Facebook....he's talking about it on his show in KSL radio right now if you want to tune in!

Awesome Jenn! I'm listening to it right now. It's heartening to hear that there are some people who agree with us.

jennzee

Awesome Jenn! I'm listening to it right now. It's heartening to hear that there are some people who agree with us.

And absolutely maddening to hear people that so flippantly don't!

I just sent a seething letter to my representative, who unfortunately was one of the 5 votes in favor of the bill.

crunchierthanthou

watch the video!!!! that's Darren and his dd at the 1 minute mark. :D

Janet is the Safe Kids Utah Vice President. She serves on the National CPS Board, is the Child Advocacy manager at the local children's hospital, and is a frequent presenter on CPS at conferences. She is, in short, amazing. :love:

I'm thinking the beginning of the video where she is in red and tries that kid in two boosters is leftover footage from the IIHS booster fit ratings. :cool:

jennzee

I'm excited that Doug Wright is getting the word out about this. He had a good discussion on his show today, and it sounds like he's bringing in the health department (I think it was the health department anyway...kids were crying over the radio) tomorrow during his show to give visual demonstrations with a crash-test dummy to show people how dangerous it is for a child to be improperly restrained.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Whenever they said anything about having 'options' or 'choices' about strapping in their children, my brain inserted 'they want options in killing their children'. :eek:
I also think the major carseat makers are missing a major piece of the market by refusing to answer the portability and three across needs people have when it comes to carpooling. We need a Turbo Slim or something.

christineka

Actually, the Harmony Literider is a very slim booster seat. I think it could go three across in many situations. The plus is that it is only $13.50 and available in walmart stores which are nearly everywhere.

I also think people want the right to neglect their children, putting them in life dangering situations. The moms on my local group are for the law. They don't want to bother with car seats when car pooling or just going to school. I see this all the time despite the current law. There's a family of 6 who ride to church in a 5 person sedan. They have an 8-seater suburban. There's a family of 11 whose family vehicle seats 8. I don't look in the vehicle- just pray they are never in an accident. Kids are transported to school in the front seat, no seatbelt and an empty 5-6 seats in the rear. I don't understand. I want the law on my side and on the side of children's lives!

daniele_ut

Actually, the Harmony Literider is a very slim booster seat. I think it could go three across in many situations. The plus is that it is only $13.50 and available in walmart stores which are nearly everywhere.

But that's a backless booster. There needs to be a good high back option as well. I wouldn't put my 5yo in a backless, but he does occasionally ride in a Parkway.

Jenn, I think it's really great that Doug Wright is taking up the charge on this. It's awesome that you thought to tell him about it!

emandbri

There was a link" Utah's booster seat FAQ"

and there are already exceptions for lap belts and children over 100 lbs since at the time the law went into effect there were no seats that could be used over 100 lbs.

I was also impressed they said shield boosters were not an option! :thumbsup:

christineka

But that's a backless booster. There needs to be a good high back option as well. I wouldn't put my 5yo in a backless, but he does occasionally ride in a Parkway.

Any kid who is too small for a backless booster with the shoulder belt guide should be able to fit in a radian. For the average parent who wants to spend as little as possible on car seats, the harmony should be fine.

I agree that we need skinny high back boosters, but I think the general population would not actually use one because backless boosters are cheaper, less bulky, and less of a "baby seat". I don't know what I will do in a few years when the bodyguard expires. I may have to let the eldest go backless and ride in the literider.

Utah does have a bunch of unsafe exceptions and lack of legislation. I wish there were a rfing to age 1 law. I know you can't ff before age one per manufacturer instructions, but a lot of people say there's no law prohibiting ffing before 1, so they do. We also need to throw out that seatbelt loophole that says you don't have to buckle up if there are more persons than seatbelts. Common safety sense should tell you not to put more persons in a vehicle than you have seatbelts. Oh, well. It's survival of the fittest and the lucky, I guess.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC