Radian or Regent for 4yr.old

U

Unregistered

I am looking at the Radian or the Regent for my 4 yr. old DS. He is 41 lbs. and 41 in. his torso is about 14 in. I am needing the seat for my husbands trucks and my mom's truck. His trucks are a 99 Dodge Ram 3500 extended cab and a small Mazda single cab. There is not much room in the back seat in the Dodge we have a marathon installed RF for our 9 month old. My mom's truck is a Ford F150 extended cab with LATCH. The seat for husbands truck will be moved back and forth alot. I have heard the Radian can be hard to install will it work with these trucks? I need a seat ASAP he is in a turbo booster now and I want him in a 5 point harness. His main seat in my car is a Marathon. Any advice on this will be great. I am thinking the Radian for the Ford but not sure for the other trucks.
Thanks

ADS

LuvBug

how does he fit in the marathon? what slot is he using and how far is he from being even with that slot?
The radian lasts about 1" longer than the MA.
What about using the MA as the second and getting something different for your own car? The radian may not install well in both or be difficult to switch back and forth alot... and I definitely wouldnt recommend switching the regent back and forth a lot. Its so heavy and big! easy to install once you know how, but such a lug.
You would want to be able to test the radian out in both vehicles before buying it... or get it from target.com because they let you return it to the store if it doesnt work.

scatterbunny

Yes, how is he fitting in the Marathon?

The MA is much easier to install than the Radian, more compatible with a wider variety of vehicles.

I'd use the MA as long as possible in the Dodge and Mazda trucks (the ones that will be moved around a lot).

With LATCH the Radian isn't usually a problem, so it might work fine in your mom's Ford F150. You can order through Target.com and return in-store if you have to (if you can't find the Radian locally to try).

When you check his fit in the MA, make sure to stick your fingers through the holes in the cover and feel for the slots; sometimes the cover makes it hard to distinguish where the actual slot holes are.

In extended cab trucks (you're sure they aren't crew cabs, but the smaller extended cabs?), I'd want to harness as long as possible.

So I'd probably get a Regent for the main vehicle, use the Marathon for at least the Mazda and Dodge trucks, and possibly a Radian or just switch the MA you already have for the Ford truck.

Last edited:

Dragonflymama

You've already received great advice. I just wanted to let you know that we are expecting our new Radian65 to arrive today by UPS and will install it into my DH's 1999 Dodge 1500 truck tomorrow. I'll post back to let you know how our installation goes.

Good luck on your decision. We decided ot go with the Radian in the truck for space considerations. We might buy a Regent for my car, waiting to see how the Regent installs first. We will revisit moving the Regent to DH's truck when DD outgrows the Radian by slot height in a few years.

brayg

We have a Marathon for my van and just recently bought a Radian for the backseat of my dh's GMC Sierra because of the space issues back there. I wasn't in love with the fit of the Radian in the truck, but it was ok. Last night, I finally tried the Marathon back there and I love it. It would seem like the Marathon takes up more room, but honestly, I love how he can sit up a bit higher back there. As far as leg room for him, it was the same for both seats, as the Radian is just as deep as the Marathon.

So now I have the Marathon in dh's truck and the Radian in my van. HTH! :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC