Question Talk to me about a 9-pass.'97 Suburban.....please. :)

2boys3girls

My DH just purchased a '97 Sub. with the capacity of 9 passengers (yeah right to that middle seat in the front row) The last 3 times we've purchased "new" vehicles we've gone "newer", but this purchase puts us back several years. Anyway, it looks like a very nice vehicle & my 2 oldest kids are getting really big, ages 14 & soon-to-be 11. Safety; I'm wondering what you all know about the safety aspect. I did a search for recalls & I didn't find much.

What can anyone tell me about having TAs installed/retro-fitted? What is the process, based on your knowledge &/or experience? I called a GM dealer & the service/parts man told me "the kits are around $7 each, it's around $50 EACH for labor. GM will install ONE free of charge, more than one is at your own expense..." He couldn't tell me anything at the moment about "where" in the vehicle the anchors are put. As far as labor goes, my husband is an ASE Master auto tech who owns an auto business, I'm thinking he can install them for me. Anyone know what the installation of TAs entails?

Ideally, I would like to be able to tether 2 seats RF (RN &/Or Britax) and eventually I will need 3 seats FF tethered, given the number of kids we have NOW. I also need to find out the RULES for using D-rings. Can I RF tether my RN or Britax seat with a D-ring? Can I FF tehter my seats with a D-ring?
ALSO, with that 9th seat in the front row, in what situation COULD that seat be used?

Thanks for the help!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
ADS

skitle1802

Did the 97 come equipped with air bags? I would *think* that the TAs are basicly attached to the frame through the floorboard. So just knowing where the frame cross bars are and you are set. If your husband is certified, you could probably order the retro fit kits from the dealer and they would have the instructions. That's how we installed (per intstructions, tho) BedRyder seats in our F150. (Only Adults ride back there) I'd use the middle front seat for an extra adult or a dog, when all the other seats are full. But if you fill up all your rear seats with younger children, one of your older kids (passing 5 steps for seat belt) could use the middle front seat too. From experience, make sure who ever uses the middle front seat, they don't distract the driver. Most of the time you won't want someone there, it reduces elbow room for the driver.
ETA: Britax provides D-ring straps for RF tethering. I'm not 100% on the rules for using them FF, hopefully a tech can chime in.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC