Question Which would you get? <Pictures added>

kaleigh71

PICS and UPDATE: I thought I would look again at the amount of room DS has in his Wizard. In the first pic I used a pen to show where the harness slots are, in the other two, just of him. I couldn't tell if he slumped his shoulders when I had the pen or shrugged his shoulders when I didn't, he tends to be a real goof when I have the camera on. Posting the pics in a new post.

If the cost is not limited, but trying to get more bang for your buck. A Nauti or a Frontier? DS is 5.5 y/o, 44 inches, bouncing between 40-41 pounds. I want to keep him in a harness as long as possible. Is the Frontier (or the upcoming Frontier 85 specifically) that much taller as to make a difference? About how much more time would you get from the Frontier? Weight is definitely not an issue, he's one skinny boy. If it helps, I will measure his torso tonight, but he is maybe about 1/2 at the most below the highest harness height in his Wizard. Even if he doesn't outgrow it (which I know he will) it expires in January anyway.

Last edited:
ADS

NannyMom

Re: Which would you get?

I like the Nautilus. But I don't have much experience with the Frontier. I am very interested to see the Frontier85. It is supposed to have taller top slots, but we don't know how tall. It's also supposed to have nice cup holders and easier installation.

Did your WZ expired last month, or Jan 2011? If it was last month, you need a new seat asap.

NannyMom

Well, since he's not quite even with the top of the harness, than you have a little time to wait :) I'd wait and see what the FR85 is like. Nothing like buying a seat, then wishing you had the newer version.

Any of the seats you considering will likely get him to 7yrs in a harness, and that'd old enough for a booster. You might even be able to find a super deal on a FR when the new one comes out.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member

yeah, I'd wait. The Frontier currently has lower top slots than the Nautilus. But the new one may have higher slots (it should).

For a narrower kid the Nautilus will fit better. But again, we haven't seen the new Frontier 85. If you can wait, I'd wait. If you need to buy today I'd say the Nautilus.

Wendy

natysr

At 5.5 years old, provided both seats install well in your vehicles. I would let my child choose.

kaleigh71

yeah, I'd wait. The Frontier currently has lower top slots than the Nautilus. But the new one may have higher slots (it should).

I did not know that! Is the Frontier longer lasting in HBB mode though, or did I misread something? Also since the expiration is 9 years on the Frontier, I could probably pass it down. The only reason I was considering buying now is because Target has some Nauti's on sale and BRU has the trade-in thing going on.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member

The Frontier goes to 24" as a high back booster, the Nautilus to 21". However, the Nautilus becomes a backless booster, the Frontier does not (I don't know about the new version). The Nautilus' backless goes to December of the ninth year, the harness and high back go to December of the sixth.

Wendy

kaleigh71

I am going to wait for that Frontier85 and hope it has higher top harness slots, that might be the thing that seals it for me. I am usually a quick decision maker, but I'll probably be thinking about this far too often while I am waiting. :eek: Thanks so much for the opinions/info.

kaleigh71

I do not know if he 1) slumped his shoulder while I was sticking the pen in, or 2) shrugged his shoulders up as I was taking the other pics. He is a real goof when I have the camera on. WDYT? I sat him in a Nauti today at Walmart and was happy with the amount of room he would have left harnessed. Does the Nauti require the tether at any point? I would really like for him to stay in the 3rd row with his carpooling buddy, but I don't think I could keep the Nauti in the middle with the booster back there. It is tight as it is. Keeping him back there isn't absolutely necessary though. Also, I would love to wait for the Frontier85, and if I get the Nauti now I can pass it down or sell it.

ETA: After looking at the pics I want to get him out of it simply because of the ears! He doesn't complain about it, but the boy's ears stick out enough without having them constantly folded like that, lol.

This is where the harness slot is.
100_0030.jpg

100_0031.jpg

100_0032.jpg

Maedze

He just barely fits the WZ, and he'll outgrow it if he sneezes. LOL.

As for tethering and the third row, if you have a tether anchor, you need to use it. Convenience is not a reason for forgoing it. The tether anchor IS what keeps your child from suffering severe head and neck injuries in a high speed impact.

While the Nautilus does not 'require' a tether, I would never use (or suggest someone else use) a forward facing seat without one.

kaleigh71

I found two at TRU with DOM's in May and July 2009. Neither were in box on the shelf which I found odd. Walmart's DOM's were November 2009, but at least they were in the box, sealed. I guess it doesn't really matter though which expiration I get since they will both expire in December 2015. I have a trade in if I go to TRU, but I just don't like that they were just sitting on the shelf without the box. The girly ones were still in the box. Hmmm. :confused:

So, I think I will put DS in the middle row captain's chair so it can be tethered, then put DD1 3rd row center in the Marathon, tethered. That way there is still room for the booster. I just hope DS won't get too jealous that his friend will be talking to DD1 more. ;)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC