Command Start ?'s

JaRylan

Hello,
I'm going to be getting command start installed in my 2001 Chevy Malibu. It already has a key fob for the power locks, trunk and the panic alarm. Should I get everything programmed over to the command start and have one fob for starting, locks, trunk, etc? Any oppinions, comments,pros/cons, whatevers on this? It would be nice to have one thing to do it all.

Thanks,

ADS

Jewels

Senior Community Member
How fun! You are going to love it! Especially with all this cold weather we have been having. Let us know how it goes!

We have command start and had the locks added to the fob, we didn't do the trunk because it wasn't a power trunk (like the locks) and it was going to cost a lot (double the price of CS!). But if you already have a fob, then everything should already be set up to do them all.

If it isn't going to cost much more I would go for it!

southpawboston

yeah, i would go for everything on one fob. you're going to love it. in any cold, wintry climate, remote starting is such a nice thing to have!
thumbsup.gif

i installed one myself on my previous car, and i have one for our new car, but it's just sitting in a box waiting for a warm day for me to install it! :rolleyes:

JaRylan

Thanks for the replies. This is my Christmas gift to myself. :D One of the kid's parents that Rylan goes to school with is going to install it for me.

beeman

Yeah, put it all into one. Then you could save the old system and put it into another vehicle. Just remember to leave your car in neutral. My uncle had a command start and something messed up so it started in gear and it went through his garage wall. Enjoy your command start.

JaRylan

Yeah, put it all into one. Then you could save the old system and put it into another vehicle. Just remember to leave your car in neutral. My uncle had a command start and something messed up so it started in gear and it went through his garage wall. Enjoy your command start.

Is that the rule for both automatics and standards? I have an automatic.

Also, no garage, but I'm pretty sure my neighbours don't really want my car in their kitchen.

southpawboston

when installing these things, there is a sensor wire that is supposed to get hooked up to the gear selector switch, which indicates that the gear is in "park" (or in manual trannies, "neutral"). the remote starter will not activate unless the gear is in park (or neutral for standards). they are pretty failsafe actually. in almost every case where the car got started in gear with one of these things, it was installation error. :rolleyes:

for anyone who is having a friend install one of these, please make sure they know what they are doing!

beeman

Park and Neutral should both work on the Automatic tranny for starting. I think my uncles unit was installed incorectly, so thats what happened. The way the weathers warming up, try to get your start in before the cold weather hits again.

JaRylan

Thanks everybody, I hope to hear on Monday if/when my friend's husband can do it. My old neighbour called last week to say that he could paint and replace my fender this coming week (a curb hit my car)...but I can't be without a car this week (windchill is back up into the -30's on Monday)...but that gives me time to see if SGI will let him do my bumper claim from a hit and run...sigh...never ends. Might have to sell my Gretzky card to finance car repairs, lol.

beeman

If your friends husband is a good bodyman, he might do it fairly inexpensively. As for the bumper, check with one of the major autowreckers around here. I got a bumper for my truck for $100 from Amigos. If you can't find a mathching colour one, you could get your friend to paint it while he does your fender. On smaller repairs like this, it might be cheaper not to do it through SGI. Are you paying the deductable on the hit and run?
By the way, I love the plane. I've been thinking of going throught for my small aircraft pilots liscence (not commercial), but its pretty pricey. Looks like Rylan could have a good start on a fun hobby.

JaRylan

If your friends husband is a good bodyman, he might do it fairly inexpensively. As for the bumper, check with one of the major autowreckers around here. I got a bumper for my truck for $100 from Amigos. If you can't find a mathching colour one, you could get your friend to paint it while he does your fender. On smaller repairs like this, it might be cheaper not to do it through SGI. Are you paying the deductable on the hit and run?
By the way, I love the plane. I've been thinking of going throught for my small aircraft pilots liscence (not commercial), but its pretty pricey. Looks like Rylan could have a good start on a fun hobby.

The bumper is just barely a rub mark so it will be buffed out and painted. Going through SGI for the bumper because someone bumped me, the fender I'll be doing on my own.

The plane was given to Rylan by another boy named Rylan (but he is 18 now). It was originally the raffle prize for his Air Cadets Squadron so it has the insignia on the side. I need to do up a proper picture outside some day...and then charge kids two bits to sit in it, lol.

beeman

Well if SGI pays for the bumper work thats good. Once your fenders fixed your car will be good as new (as long as it doesn't go through any garage walls :D ). Sorry, I couldn't resist. It'll almost be like upgrading to a cadillac with all the fun aftermarket parts.

"The plane was given to Rylan by another boy named Rylan (but he is 18 now). It was originally the raffle prize for his Air Cadets Squadron so it has the insignia on the side. I need to do up a proper picture outside some day...and then charge kids two bits to sit in it, lol." Thats awesome. I bet all the other kids in the neighborhood would love to sit in it. You might make some good change :D .

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC