I don't get why....

chloebeansmom

Car seat manufacturers don't add features to their seats to reduce misuse?

After seeing DH's cousin's baby's bucket seat seat this weekend with a rear adjust, too loose straps and straps onthe highest slot for a newborn, I was thinking about the logic of seat design.

With everything we know about how 80% of seat are misused, why aren't things like, non rethread harnesses, front adjusters standard on all seats? i just think that if all seats had the sliding harness like an EFTA and a front adjust like the SS1, many issues would be reduced and many children would be safer. For people like us on this board, we may not need a sliding harness, since we know where to position straps, but it would take the thought process out of it for the non-seat obsessed population.

I know this is all just hypothetical, but does anyone else have these thoughts sometimes? I just think it seems like common sense.

ADS

Ninetales

There are some things that the manufacturers could do, but honestly I think a lot of problems are user related. I have a Graco as well (a 35, though) and the manual is very detailed and easy to understand. They explain which slots should be used and how to adjust them for size. I know people either don't read the manual or pay attention because I see people sitting Snugrides on top of shopping carts every day when it says in the manual specifically not to do that.

So while I think you are very right about the manufacturers making things easier, I can't help but think that people are lazy enough that it may not even help much.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Britax added the CS feature to some of their seats so it clicks when it's tight enough. Doesn't work. Clicks too soon.

The red tabs on the EFTA hurt some kids' shoulders.

And no matter how easy the seat is, you're still going to have people who think that plywood and carseats can go together.

Wendy

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
Britax added the CS feature to some of their seats so it clicks when it's tight enough. Doesn't work. Clicks too soon.

And no matter how easy the seat is, you're still going to have people who think that plywood and carseats can go together.

Wendy

:ROTFLMAO:

I know it really isn't funny, but no matter how much ya'll say it, I just can't picture an instal w/plywood.

I agree about rear adjust seats.. I can understand not all having a sliding harness (though the tfp is awesome, just sayin'). I am always tightening the harness on my coworker's rear adjust sr, and I've showed her how it is supposed to be and how to do it. Her dh loosens it everytime, he and I are gonna have words... Of course the other morning I'd already dropped my kids off at the door and as I was parking so was she. I went to help her unload and as I reached in her backseat to grab the keys she'd lost, I put my hand on the base and slid into the backseat... I tightened it down and showed her...:confused:

chloebeansmom

Yeah, I know it's kind of a losing battle. I think I just can't wrap my head around why people don't pay more attention to car seat safety. They'll install 400 child proofing gizmos in their house (that they really don't need), but they can't spend 20 minutes reading a car seat manual. :confused:

natysr

You also must take into account that carseat manufacturers are businesses. Businesses that compete for revenue. They sell consumer products, then people choose what they want to buy.

Some companies come up with ideas for new features (like the sliding harness). They may patent their invention. Other companies can't just start doing the same thing.

Then, there also is the reality that there is no one perfect seat that will work for every child, in every car, in every situation.

There is also the cost factor. Companies put money into R&D. They have to recoup that money by pricing the product appropriately.

It is also necessary that carseats be available in all price ranges, otherwise, there will be people who simply cannot afford to own a carseat.

It really boils down the the parents taking responsibility for the safety of their children.

I appreciate carseat manufacturers listening to to feedback from consumers, and making appropriate changes. But there simply is no substitute for a parent setting aside 30 minutes to actually READ the manual that came with the carseat, then taking the effort to use the seat correctly.

And, as a side note, I purposefully chose an infant seat with a rear adjust, because in the logic of my mind, I knew that I wouldn't remove the carseat from the base everytime I used it. I thought it would be easier for me to tighten the harness if it were in the rear, because it would be more accessible than shoved against the vehicle seatback. It made sense to me at the time. Unfortunately the seat I chose had a faulty harness system that would not remain tight and would loosen itself. The seat was later recalled for that very issue.

Shaunam

I think car seat manufacturers HAVE done a lot as far as trying to make it easier. Now obviously the cheapest seats aren't going to have handy-dandy features, but even a scenera is fairly easy to use. There's one piece that moves---the recline boot. Then there's a super simple standard harness...yeah you have to manually re-route it, but it's simple for the most part. A standard harness adjustment. And that's it.

Parents need to do their share too. I think a lot of the attitude is "how hard can it be?" so they don't bother with reading the manual so they never realize they need to adjust the straps. Hey you can get them around the child and buckle...who needs to bother moving them right?

I'm so thankful for the car seats we have now. They showed us some of the older seats in my tech class. *shudder*. One infant seat had a harness you had to slide off a bar in the bback and slip it on a new set of loops to make it tighter or looser, then put the bar back in. You could never get it perfect for the child since each loop was spaced a certain amount apart.

They've come a long way.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I had that infant seat with the bar in the back. Just glad I never lost it and stuck a pencil in there to take it's place. Ugh.

I've been around so long that the advances amaze me, but I've also seen some really fantastic designs disappear (like rigid LATCH infant and FF only seats... at least some boosters have that now)...it's a mixture of hope for the future and frustration for what's lost, I guess, that I feel.

brightredmtn

I wish all seats could install like the KeyFit base. The first time I installed that seat I just kept thinking that couldn't be correct if it was that easy. It was though!

steph_s

When I ask people if they read the manual that came with their car seat I hear one of three responses.
-My seat didn't come with one (meaning it was stored and therefore the owners didn't know where to locate it).
-My car seat manual had so many warnings it made my head spin so I didn't read it all.
-My car seat was used and I didn't know it was expired!

You want to really fix car seat mis use? Put the manual on the actual straps of the car so that parents can find it the first time! Stop putting warning after warning in it! The entire manual should be one giant warning! It doesn't need a million red boxes all over that say warning this warning that. A car seat manual should provide instructions on how to use correctly not a million warnings on what not to do.

The expired seat should have a do not use by date instead of a manufacture date! That date should not be hidden from view, it should be in plain sight! If the people aren't going to read their manuals then they aren't going to know when a seat is expired.

As for getting the word out about expired seats, places should not be allowed to sell used seats! I'm sorry I know it will make things hard for some of us who really want new seats all the time and need to fund our new ones with our old ones, but car seats should be like used mattresses. Not allowed to be sold used!

I don't think re-designing seats is the problem here! I think it's user error that could easily be fixed by taking a few little steps.

brightredmtn

The expired seat should have a do not use by date instead of a manufacture date! That date should not be hidden from view, it should be in plain sight! If the people aren't going to read their manuals then they aren't going to know when a seat is expired.

I've always thought this. People think the manufactures only have expiration dates to sell more seats but really they don't advertise the expiration date well, I really don't think this is the case.

Jennifer mom to my 7

Yes, but the chicco keyfit has a manufacture date, followed by a do not use after date. The radian manual IIRC is attached to all the other stuff on the straps, and really isn't that long (unlike the britax manuals that are hidden under the cover and at least twice as long). I think if we could at least get people to read the installation section of the manual, it would be a plus.

morninglori

What you need is one of those "Quick Start" instructions like they have for computers or other "complicated" electronics.

Convertible seats:
Sheet 1: How to setup and install RF out of the box.
back of Sheet 1: how to setup and install FF out of the box.

On both sides: Where to find the manual

This might help.

Laurette

I think the manuals should come in written form and DVD form. That way if the parent is too lazy, oops, I mean busy to read it, they can just pop the DVD in and sit for a few minutes.

TerisBoys

I know it really isn't funny, but no matter how much ya'll say it, I just can't picture an instal w/plywood.

For a mental image - replace a pool noodle with a two by four (or three).

I used to babysit a little girl who's child seat was BOLTED to the cargo area of her mom's Ford EXP. Because there wasn't a backseat.

Creativity at it's finest.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The SafeGuard Child seat practically installs itself with LATCH. Easy to use shoulder belt lockoffs. No-rethread, one-pull adjustment. DOES have a "quick start" DVD with VIDEO instructions on how to install.

We had an emergency situation and my husband couldn't figure out how to adjust it, so didn't use it (and, I later found out, had installed it with a locking seatbelt, completely ignoring the super-easy lockoffs and LATCH.) Yeah.

There are some things that the manufacturers could do, but honestly I think a lot of problems are user related. I have a Graco as well (a 35, though) and the manual is very detailed and easy to understand. They explain which slots should be used and how to adjust them for size. I know people either don't read the manual or pay attention because I see people sitting Snugrides on top of shopping carts every day when it says in the manual specifically not to do that.

So while I think you are very right about the manufacturers making things easier, I can't help but think that people are lazy enough that it may not even help much.

augh just today I saw a woman with an OLD evenflo infant seat, plopped on top of a shopping cart, straps so loose, chest clip touching the buckle, and i swear I could have pulled the baby right out, I saw the crash happening in my mind where the baby ejected right out of the seat, straps weren't even twisted but it was the worst most careless buckle job I ever saw, well other than the woman that didn't even buckle the kid in and thought the magic seat would just keep her kid safe.
I turned to Fiona, and sighed under my breath, "well that poor baby isn't going to survive a crash like that" half hoping the mom might hear and ask maybe.
Anyways I was so afraid the seat was going to fall of the cart and the baby was going to fly out.. just sent a shudder down my spine kwim.

Wendy

one of my favorite techs likes to tell me a story about the time a guy came to him with seats tied in with rope.. he just couldnt believe it.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
For a mental image - replace a pool noodle with a two by four (or three).

I used to babysit a little girl who's child seat was BOLTED to the cargo area of her mom's Ford EXP. Because there wasn't a backseat.

Creativity at it's finest.

Hahaha, yeah, that's why my dad did for my mom in her Karmann Ghia for me to ride in (2 seater convertible with a back shelf, bolt the seat to the shelf).

So happy to be alive....so happy....:eek:

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
The SafeGuard Child seat practically installs itself with LATCH. Easy to use shoulder belt lockoffs. No-rethread, one-pull adjustment. DOES have a "quick start" DVD with VIDEO instructions on how to install.

Yeah, that's one of the ones I'm sad we've lost already :( And the Britax Expressway Isofit (Isofix? I can't find the blog entry where Darren installs it by pretty much dropping it in the car, voila, rock solid).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC