Minivan Question - Quest vs Sienna

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
We're looking at minivans and need to do something soon. Yes, we just bought an Outback - don't ask why we're doing this now... :rolleyes:

Anyway, we're looking a 2004 Nissan Quest (fully loaded - leather, skylights, DVD - 32k miles) vs 2006 Toyota Sienna (13k miles and $2500 more :( ). We need to get something used - can't afford new. Other than premium gas, are there any other drawbacks to the Quest? This one is in mint condition as far as we can tell. Both of these have ESC/VSC and side-curtain airbags.

We'd consider a used Odyssey but can't find one in good enough shape around here - they've really been driven/used alot...:)

Thanks!!!

ETA: The Sienna does have LATCH/tethers for all 3rd row positions whereas the 2004 Quest only has LATCH/tether in the middle of the 3rd row... Don't really think this will affect us, though ;)

Last edited:
ADS

southpawboston

We're looking at minivans and need to do something soon. Yes, we just bought an Outback - don't ask why we're doing this now... :rolleyes:

Anyway, we're looking a 2004 Nissan Quest (fully loaded - leather, skylights, DVD - 32k miles) vs 2006 Toyota Sienna (13k miles and $2500 more :( ). We need to get something used - can't afford new. Other than premium gas, are there any other drawbacks to the Quest? This one is in mint condition as far as we can tell. Both of these have ESC/VSC and side-curtain airbags.

We'd consider a used Odyssey but can't find one in good enough shape around here - they've really been driven/used alot...:)

Thanks!!!

ETA: The Sienna does have LATCH/tethers for all 3rd row positions whereas the 2004 Quest only has LATCH/tether in the middle of the 3rd row... Don't really think this will affect us, though ;)

well even though the sienna is $2500 more, it does have a lot less miles, and it will hold its value much longer than the quest... when you decide to sell, you will undoubtedly recoup more resale value from the sienna than you will from the quest. if that extra $2500 is really going to hurt you in the short term, then go for the quest. if you can swing it, it will pay off later to get the sienna.

ETA: also, fwiw, the quest has a lot more character than the sienna, IMHO. :D

Last edited:

hsjwmom

ITA...except for the quest having more character! I have an '06 Sienna and love it!!

I just wanted to mention, there are only 2 LATCH/tether positions in the 3rd row: passenger and center. Probably WON'T affect you, but I thought I would mention it. ;)

lovinwaves

I would go for the Sienna, JMHO. Also, I think the Quest only has one sliding power door? You might look into that.

Check out safety ratings for both. I think the Sienna is going to give you a much better resale value in the long run. :)

southpawboston

i think both sienna and quest have good safety ratings... i think the quest edges out the sienna, safey wise, but that would be splitting hairs... they are both quite safe. but in addition to resale vaule, toyota also has legendary reliability... i don't think nissans are quite as reliable.

rachel3612

Senior Community Member
I have a Quest and really like it. I have installed car seats in the Sienna before and the one thing that the Quest is better for is the captains chairs in the middle fold flat so getting to the back seat is much easier.

We were able to fit a couch in the Quest with all the seats flat. Other than that, I like the look of the Quest more, less minivanish. I do have one MAJOR problem with the quest though. If you have a Britax Roundabout it will be a huge pain to get an okay install in the captians chairs. No matter what I do I can not get a great install with the RA because of the rigid buckle stalks. I have done all the tricks, DH and I are both cpst's so its not like we don't know what we are doing. LOL

I would try your seats in both cars before you buy then and maybe that will help decide. We didn't do it because it didn't really matter to us, the RA was only 7 months from expiring, Liam was about to outgrow it and we had another seat we could use but knew we would be buying him a new one soon anyway. For the test drive I just used a booster for him. So try your seats before you buy! LOL

Rachel
cpst

lynsgirl

i think both sienna and quest have good safety ratings... i think the quest edges out the sienna, safey wise, but that would be splitting hairs... they are both quite safe. but in addition to resale vaule, toyota also has legendary reliability... i don't think nissans are quite as reliable.

I think Darren has more info about this, but if the Quest has better safety ratings, it's after 2004, because for 2004/2005, the Sienna was the top IIHC rated mini-van, with the Odyssey just barely under it. They were about equal, all things considered (Sienna/Odyssey). I haven't kept up on the 2006/2007 ratings, other than knowing the Kia Sedona apparently did spectacularly on safety ratings last year.

We almost went with a 2004 Quest, but ended up with a 2005 8-passenger Sienna. The Quest we were looking at did not have side-curtain ABs in all three rows, so that and the 8-passenger capability is why we went with the Sienna. And I love having 5 top TAs/LATCH positions :D

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
Thanks, everyone!

Seems like there were different options for the Sienna... The one we're looking at has 3 LATCH/tethers on the 3rd row. The Quest has one in the center. The 2nd-row seats work the same on both. The Quest is the top-of-the-line model with all power doors (which I actually don't like and figured out how to turn it off :D ). The Sienna has one sliding door - passenger.

As far as getting the RA in, our MA fit really well with the belt/tether install when we took it for a spin... That was important to us - I love that seat (have I said that before? :p )

lovinwaves

Thanks, everyone!

Seems like there were different options for the Sienna... The one we're looking at has 3 LATCH/tethers on the 3rd row. The Quest has one in the center. The 2nd-row seats work the same on both. The Quest is the top-of-the-line model with all power doors (which I actually don't like and figured out how to turn it off :D ). The Sienna has one sliding door - passenger.

As far as getting the RA in, our MA fit really well with the belt/tether install when we took it for a spin... That was important to us - I love that seat (have I said that before? :p )

Why don't you like the power sliding doors? :confused:

Also, my aunt has a 2006 Sienna, and I have installed Peyton's MA Rear-facing in it just fine.

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
Why don't you like the power sliding doors? :confused:

I think it has to do with it taking soooo long to open/close on the Quest. I'd rather do it by hand. I guess it's nice to have if we ever want to use it, especially if we have another baby down the road and my hands are full. For now, I just prefer to open them manually... I also worry about having one more electric component to go wrong down the road... :rolleyes:

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Thanks, everyone!

Congrats on the van shopping, decisions decisions. :) The Quest indeed avoids some of the stereotypical minivan styling, but in your shoes I went with the Sienna while van shopping two years ago. :) Just wanted to clarify that the Sienna indeed has two sets of lower LATCH anchors in the third row, for center and passenger side positions only. It may appear at first glance to have a third row driver's side set of lower LATCH anchors due to the way the center position's lower anchors are positioned a smidge closer to the driver's side. The center lower LATCH anchor closest to the driver's side actually overlaps the driver's side seatbelt buckle anchor a bit. It's also possible you're seeing a cargo net anchor on the third row driver's side instead of a top tether anchor. The top tether anchors for the third row center and passenger side are located on the lower edge of the vehicle seat back.

I was resistant to power doors for the reasons you mentioned but ended up grudgingly with a power door on the passenger side to get the ESC option package. I have grown to appreciate the power door and I've been known to go out of my way just to use the power door side to load/unload kids, lol.

Happy car shopping.

southpawboston

I think it has to do with it taking soooo long to open/close on the Quest. I'd rather do it by hand. I guess it's nice to have if we ever want to use it, especially if we have another baby down the road and my hands are full. For now, I just prefer to open them manually... I also worry about having one more electric component to go wrong down the road... :rolleyes:

comforts and conveniences like this are a double-edged sword. i used to avoid things like power windows, locks, and other automotive features for that very reason-- more stuff to break. but now i could never live without those creature comforts. and my attitude toward "more stuff to break" has also changed over time. i used to afford only older cars with little or no warranty protection, so i was very concerned about unpredicted expenses (even though i did most of my repairs myself, parts can be expensive! a window motor can be $250 without labor!) now, i will never keep a car beyond its warranty period, so i eliminate the unpredicted repair costs...

i guess another consideration then for you would be how much warranty is remaining on each car...

jmm3

We have a Quest and love it! It's a 2005 with the leather, skylights, 2 DVD screens, 2 power doors, etc. The interior is so nice. Having 3 LATCH positions is fine for us, because we have 3 kids and one of them is already in a booster. We very rarely have other kids in seats (other than boosters) in our car, so it wasn't a factor for us. I really like having the power doors and the power hatch. It does take longer to close them, but my 7 year old can close them himself more easily, and if I'm picking him up somewhere I don't have to get out of the car to make sure the door is closed.

Something to think about if you will disable the power doors is that the door is harder to close than a door without power would be. My ds can barely close it manually, but we rented a minivan without power doors on a trip, and he could close it fine, there was less weight and resistance on the non power doors.
We looked at the Sienna and Odyssey also, and I just enjoyed driving the Quest more. It was also harder to find one of the others with the options we wanted (especially the Sienna). Maybe we just lucked out that there was a Quest just like we wanted, but we were having a hard time finding a place that had a Sienna with the options we wanted. The Quest has curtain airbags for all 3 rows, front side airbags, etc, all the safety options.

I don't know that much about the resale value comparison, but around here, slightly used Sienna are EVERYWHERE! I think that probably reduces their value somewhat. There is a big used car place near us, and they almost always have at least 15 Siennas and only 1 or 2 Odysseys and Quests. It kind of made me wonder also why so many people were turning in their Siennas after only a year or two. But, who knows where they get them, it could mean nothing.

Also, as far as I know, ours does not recommend premium fuel. I don't have the manual with me, but I don't think it does. We don't use premium fuel, and have not had any problem. I guess maybe the new ones (07) recommend it, but I'm pretty sure ours does not.

Last edited:

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
Thanks, everyone... We're heading out this morning to hopefully make a final choice and be done with this... :) Although now DH has thrown the KIA Sedona in there as an option. I did test drive one and didn't care for it, but we're going to go back again today for a second test drive before deciding. I think I'll check the manual in the Quest (if we go back to that one) and see what it says about premium fuel.

southpawboston

the sedona has fantastic crash ratings, but trust me, it will have horrible resale value... all korean cars still have poor resale value (which i learned the hard way with my elantra), in spite of the fact that they have caught up with the japanese in terms of reliability and durability...

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
The KIA is out b/c we can't find any 2006's left with the $4000 rebate. Well, we can but not in a color we want...:)

So I did something very bad that I knew I shouldn't do but I just HAD to :p : I drove a 2007 Odyssey. Boy, was that stupid! It was awesome! And now I want one...:mad: So I came home to debate with DH about finances. I think we could still manage but it would be tight. We could look for a used one, but like I said earlier, all the Odysseys around here have been driven to death, or cleaned to death by the dealerships with tons and tons of cleaners that just smell nasty and make me very unhappy... They all say, "Oh, it goes away" but I used that stuff once in a car and it never did go away.

I'll be driving about 30-40 miles each way for work when I start back part-time in a month or so, so I really want something that I enjoy being in.

Just wish I hadn't driven that 07 Odyssey!

lovinwaves

The KIA is out b/c we can't find any 2006's left with the $4000 rebate. Well, we can but not in a color we want...:)

So I did something very bad that I knew I shouldn't do but I just HAD to :p : I drove a 2007 Odyssey. Boy, was that stupid! It was awesome! And now I want one...:mad:

Just wish I hadn't driven that 07 Odyssey!

ROFL!! Yes, they are quite addicting aren't they? It really helped DH and I justify the payment, because we love our Odyssey so much!!! It has changed our lives, and made road trips a breeze. Being able to get the kids in and out of the van fast and easily, and knowing that they are extremely safe puts a smile on my face :D

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC