Flying Allegiant with two kids...what do I need to know?

jnamommy

I must be crazy...I will be flying with two kids and two carseats and only one Mommy in April :eek:.

Flying Allegiant out of Mesa...can anyone answer the following questions, or give me any advice I may not have though to ask for?

1. What are the easiest seats for me to take? I have multiple Roundabouts and Radians. dd usually RFs in a Roundabout and ds FF in a Radian or Nautilus, although I can make changes if it would be easier. I have one set of the backpack straps for the Radian and one GoGo Kidz. I planned on installing a Roundabout on the GoGo Kidz, wearing the Radian as a backpack, wearing dd in a Babyhawk on my front, and either carrying the diaper bag or putting it in the Roundabout, depending on if ds wants to ride or walk. Will also be pulling a small carry on with medical stuff I can't check. Any better ideas?

2. Will Allegiant (esp out of Mesa) allow me to wear dd through security? Would make my life easier...

3. Will they allow me to preboard with the kids/carseats?

4. Does Allegiant allow me to rearface dd? If they fight me on this, should I give in and FF her (she is not even legally allowed to FF in a car, but is a plane different?)

5. What documents should I plan on bringing (ie anyone have a link to Allegiants policy stating that I can RF my dd?)

6. Any tips or tricks I need to know to install a Roundabout and Radian on the plane? Any wierd installation quirks?

Thanks, I alternate between being super nervous about doing this on my own, and being confident that I *can* be a pack horse and it will all be great...

ADS

MomToEliEm

1. What are the easiest seats for me to take? I have multiple Roundabouts and Radians. dd usually RFs in a Roundabout and ds FF in a Radian or Nautilus, although I can make changes if it would be easier. I have one set of the backpack straps for the Radian and one GoGo Kidz. I planned on installing a Roundabout on the GoGo Kidz, wearing the Radian as a backpack, wearing dd in a Babyhawk on my front, and either carrying the diaper bag or putting it in the Roundabout, depending on if ds wants to ride or walk. Will also be pulling a small carry on with medical stuff I can't check. Any better ideas?
The roundabout was one of my favorite seats to travel with. I think the roundabout and radian would be just fine for you to travel with.

2. Will Allegiant (esp out of Mesa) allow me to wear dd through security? Would make my life easier...
I have always had to remove my child from the sling when I went through security, though others have not. Be prepared to remove her when you get up to security.

I don't have any experience with Allegiant Airline to know if they might allow preboarding. I haven't had luck with doing it on other airlines I flew on.

4. Does Allegiant allow me to rearface dd? If they fight me on this, should I give in and FF her (she is not even legally allowed to FF in a car, but is a plane different?)
5. What documents should I plan on bringing (ie anyone have a link to Allegiants policy stating that I can RF my dd?)
Print out these two documents to keep in your carry-on luggage. They contain information which states multiple seats can be installed in the same row whenever you are a family group and no one is blocked in (this will mean you need to have the rearfacing seat by the window, forward facing seat in the middle and you in the aisle). It also indicates that you can install the carseat rearfacing if your child still is within the rearfacing limits of the seat.

Official FAA guidelines on carseats on planes:
http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAdvisoryCircular.nsf/0/60d70126cf679d5a8625723b007841e7/$FILE/AC%20120-87A.pdf

New FAA clarification memo on carseats on planes:
http://www.faa.gov/other_visit/avia...afety/info/all_infos/media/2009/info09002.pdf

You should still rearface your youngest, especially since she is below 20lbs. There should be no issue with this (especially if you show the above documents stating it is allowed).

6. Any tips or tricks I need to know to install a Roundabout and Radian on the plane? Any wierd installation quirks?

With the roundabout, if you install it rearfacing, it should be really easy. Just make sure to know how to do a lapbelt install (especially important if you use latch to install the seat and are not familiar with seatbelt install). If you have to install the roundabout forward facing, make sure to flip the buckle on it so it opens toward the airplane's seat, not toward the front as it might be hard to loosten when it is tightened and pulled right up to the carseat's shell. You can ask for a seatbelt extender to help with the forward facing install as the extender helps get the buckle out of the carseat's belt path.

I haven't had any experience with the radian so hopefully someone else can give you tips there.

2BunniesMommy

Your plan sounds great. I wish DD2 didn't outgrow the Roundabout so fast because I was looking forward to using it on a plane. I have read that installing a Radian FFing on a plane is a breeze.

If they let you wear her through security will be hit or miss. It doesn't depend on the airline, it just depends on who is security that day and what they decide. So, plan on taking her out, but maybe you will get lucky and not have to.

I used to fly Allegiant a lot between Colorado Springs and Las Vegas. I don't remember them doing pre-boarding, but maybe I just don't remember and they really did. It won't hurt to ask if you can. If you let them know that you have 2 car seats to install yourself, they may just want you to get a head start.

rachelandtyke

1. Roundabout and Radian sound like good ideas. If the RA won't fit through the security scanner with the GogoKidz attached, you can ask them to do a handcheck. I have traveled with a Blvd on the GogoKidz and it will fit fine through the bigger machines, but not the small ones. You'll be a pack mule with all that, but you can do it! (our best pack mule story is DH and I each with a car seat on our backs, me also wearing DS in a Baby K'tan, each pulling 2 large rolling suitcases and DH carrying a backpack diaper bag and me carrying a tote diaper bag and DD holding on to one of us, lol! We had to do this through customs!)

2. As pp said, depends on the TSA people at the airport. I have found that with smaller, less busy airports, they will let me wear my DC through security whereas the bigger ones won't. If they let me wear them, they also let me leave their shoes on. Otherwise, their shoes have to come off, even if only Robeez.

3. The Allegiant flights I have been on have been good about preboarding, but it may depend on the specific crew - I can't tell if they have a specific polcy. I have found their online live chat with reps to be helpful in answering my questions.

4. DD flew lots rf those in the Blvd. I never got told that I had to turm her ff, although I did get questioned. I always said she was too small to ff in the car, so she needed to rf there and on the plane and they never argued. There should be plenty of room, too, since the RA has a shorter shell.

5. PP covered this one! Also, be sure you know where on your seat the stickers are that say it is allowed for air travel as sometimes they will ask to see this and verify you can use it.

6. I always ask for the extender belt as soon as I get on. I didn't need it for rf the BLVD, but did for ff. Not sure about a Radian install. For the part of the seatbelt that was attached to the seat already and was adjustable, I would shorten it all the way, then attach the belt extender to the other part and thread it through the belt path and tighten. You may want to install the Radian first as it may be a little trickier getting the belts situated whereas the RA will be a bit more straightforward. There have been a few times when I found it helpful to recline the seat while trying to install to reach things (usually I'm installing by a window) and then putting it back up before putting DC in.

aeormsby

We flew Allegiant a year ago with both kids (out of Ft Collins, CO). They let us preboard with the kids, I think the announced preboarding, we made sure we were visible with the kids and our stuff when they started announcing boarding.

The plane we were on had more room on one side than the other. I think it was 2 seats on one side, 3 on the other. I know on the way out I had to FF DS because there was no way the seat would fit RF (I think we had him in the Uptown). On the way back we were on the other side of the aisle and there was plenty of room to RF him.

I have flown other airlines with both kids on my own. We now have a Cares Harness & Safeguard GO for DD so that it's a little easier. I usually have the Uptown strapped to a cart or stroller and put one of the kids in that, or load it up with our other stuff and carry DS in the Ergo and DD is getting big enough to walk, last time we flew she was about 3y8m and she walked the whole way pulling her little carryon.

lanwenyi

I flew alone on Allegiant in Oct with 2 kids, 2 carseats, and 3 carry-ons (long story). It can be done. I'll do my best to answer.

Your idea sounds good to me. Travel as light as you can.

I had a stroller (with my 2 yr old in it) with the diaper bag and DD's backpack (with her toys) hanging off the back. The Roundabout was on a go-go kidz with the infant carrier balanced upside down on top of it (handle up and over the go-go kidz handle). The handle of the go-go kidz went on the handle of the maclaren stroller, so I didn't have to pull it. DS was in a sling on my front. One carry-on was on my back and the other was pulled behind me (I pushed the stroller with one hand). I was a sight to see in the airport. Look pathetic and people will help you.

That's not up to allegiant, it's up to TSA. I've always had to remove my child from the carrier, but mine has a metal ring. When I flew alone, the TSA rep told me I could wear it through. I pointed out the ring, and they had me take it off. If you have good TSA staff, they'll help you through security. If not, look pathetic and the people around you will help you.

NO, Allegiant does NOT preboard families. If you want to Pre-board, you have to purchase a seat assignment and priority boarding for each member of your party. I asked at the podium and again when they announced pre-boarding for both of my flights. They all said no. It won't hurt to ask though.

I rfed my 2 yr old with out a problem on Allegiant air. When I flew another airline, they insisted that DD be ffing and, even though I'd bought a seat for my 4 mth old DS, insisted that he had to be a lap child so that the person in front could recline their seat. That argument would be totally bogus on Allegiant, as the seats do not recline. If the seat fits, they likely won't say anything about it.

I plan to print out the FAAs policy before I fly again and highlight the section that says to follow the manufacturer's instructions. Then show any flight crew that gives me problems the sticker that says rfing to 35 (or 45, depending on which car seat I bring) pounds.

Just make sure that you can access the buckle to release it. Also, don't be in a hurry to get off the plane. You'll be last, accept it ;)

Good luck on your trip

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC