Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

time for a booster?

Should I be switchnig my daughter to a booster seat. She is almost 7 years old, is about 51 inches tall and 52 pounds. She is currently in a Britax Regent using the top harness slots.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: time for a booster?

She is definitely old enough and big enough. You could buy a booster and start "booster training" to make sure she understands about sitting properly for the whole ride, then she can go into the booster full-time sometime before she outgrows the regent.
    Shauna, mom to Adrian (9 yrs, 54" and 83 lbs), in an Evenflo Amp and Charlie (6 yrs, 42" and 35 lbs), in an Evenflo Titan 65.

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

You don't need to if you don't want. She's safe in either provided she sits properly in a booster. At her age I'd probably let her opinion weigh in a little bit.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

CPS Advocate

At her age, there's no need for a harness outside of physical or neurological delays or issues.

I'd switch her to a good booster at this point. You *could* keep her in the Regent, but there's certainly no safety-related reason to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Maedze View Post
    At her age, there's no need for a booster outside of physical or neurological delays or issues.
    I think maedze means harness here. (sorry don't want anyone to be confused!)
    Shauna, mom to Adrian (9 yrs, 54" and 83 lbs), in an Evenflo Amp and Charlie (6 yrs, 42" and 35 lbs), in an Evenflo Titan 65.

7. Thank You from:

CPS Advocate

Quote Originally Posted by Shaunam View Post
    I think maedze means harness here. (sorry don't want anyone to be confused!)
    Dear dog, that's a scary typo on my part Fixed it.

I agree.. it's just a matter of you and your kid being ready... age and size are fine... it's just a matter of when you're both ready... booster training first is great.

Check out my new hair blog - Ruthie-dos

Thanks everyone for weighing in -- any particular booster seat you like in particular?

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Sunshine Kids Monterey, Graco Turbobooster, Recaro Vivo, and Britax Parkway SG are the favorites, in no particular order.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785