Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Is a Clek really worth it?

I really like the Clek Oobr. Well, at least I do online. I've never seen one in person. Is it really worth it? What makes it so great that it is $275? If money were no object I think I would get one. As it stands now it isn't and I only need a booster as a spare seat.

Anyway, if you have one why did you buy it? Do you feel that the Oobr was worth the cost? Is this your child's primary seat? Would you buy one again?
    Amy,

SAHM to one, CPST, RN with BSN.

Looking for fun things to do with kids?? http://www.crazyaboutcarseats.blogspot.com/

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Is a Clek really worth it?

Anyone?
    Amy,

Looking for fun things to do with kids?? http://www.crazyaboutcarseats.blogspot.com/

CPS Advocate

Is it worth it? It's up to you

I think it's REALLY a nice seat. The design, the materials, the thought that went into it...blow other hbb out of the water.

Carseat Crankypants carseatcoach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Maedze View Post
    Is it worth it? It's up to you

I think it's REALLY a nice seat. The design, the materials, the thought that went into it...blow other hbb out of the water.
    I agree. I think the price is justified. However, that doesn't mean that I can afford it -- there are a lot of things that are "worth" their price tag but still don't fit in my budget, and this is one of them. I doubt I'll be buying one.
    CPST and Mama to a 13yo girl, 5-stepped at age 10 and 5'

Posted from my toaster using a PopTart

CPS Advocate

Yup. There's the rub. My son has a perfectly good Nautilus that fits him well in booster mode, and that's what he'll be using when he outgrows harnessed mode. I don't have the luxury of buying a 300 dollar booster. Even if I want to. LOL.

I preordered ours for just over $200. It is a great booster and dd loves it. I wouldn't pay $300 for it, but I do feel it was worth what I paid. When dd2 decides she is ready to give up her Regent, I'll have to see what other boosters are available. But, I have a feeling that dd1 may have to pass down her Oobr and get a Monterey because of the way she's growing. Unfortunately, I don't think the Oobr is best for kids with a booty.
    Abbysnail ~ 11 ~ Maui FR85 (booster mode) and Leopard Olli
    Chica ~ 9.5 ~ Pink Monterey and Julius Olli
    Loveybug ~ 3.5 ~ rfing in a Cranberry TFP and ffing in a FR85

Quote Originally Posted by chickabiddy View Post
    I agree. I think the price is justified. However, that doesn't mean that I can afford it -- there are a lot of things that are "worth" their price tag but still don't fit in my budget, and this is one of them. I doubt I'll be buying one.
    THIS... is exactly it. I had an Olli... I know that clek seats are worth every penny... the oobr just isn't in my budget at all.

Not even remotely.

Ruthie fits just as well in her Vivo as she would in the Oobr... and I just have to get over MY lust for the seat... lol.

Check out my new hair blog - Ruthie-dos

I have had the seat 1 full week now. I am training my daughter in it. I must say the price tag is hard to swallow, but when you see the materials it took to make the seat, then you understand the price tag. It is a heavy seat because of the magnesium back frame. What made me buy it, was the materials. I love how it has a Magnesium back frame and metal rods in the headrest that conects to the magnesium back frame. The head rest is super easy to adjust. You adjust it like you do on a vechile headrest. I know my daughter would be just as safe in any other booster with proper use, but I love the materials in this one.
    Olivia 4.26.04 Santa Fe
    Makayla 9.16.06 Kiddy Cruiser Fix Pro
    Abigail 11.17.11 RF Peg Perego Primo Viaggio
    Tobias 11.6.13 in Keyfit 22

I like ours a lot and yes I do think that its worth every penny. I also really like the Monterey but my daught is too thin and didn't fit in it correctly.
    DD1 10.5y/o seatbelt
    DD2 8y/o 45" 52lbs. backless
    DS 7y/o 51" 58lbs. ProBooster or backless

ok - but how do you go into a store and order one? I mean is it oobr like goober or what? Why on earth do they give them names that are near impossible to decipher. Of course, I also called Britax 'brit-tax' for most of my live, until the first time I called them up on the phone and was told welcome to Breyetax.

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus Jeanum's Avatar

Oobr is pronounced like "uber" and rhymes with goober. Clek picked that spelling because it was like how a kid would spell uber or some such cutsey rationale for the product naming, lol.
    Regards,
    Jean

DD1 Age 16, 66" Driver's Ed
    DD2 Age 12, 64" 5 steps

Click here if you wish to view the full size version of my avatar

I've always said Brit-tax too, because you say brit-ish.
    So it's really supposed to be brI(long i)-tax?

Senior Community Member thepote's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ntrenary View Post
    I've always said Brit-tax too, because you say brit-ish.
    So it's really supposed to be brI(long i)-tax?
    Yeah - long 'I' sound

Quote Originally Posted by hsjwmom View Post
    I preordered ours for just over $200. It is a great booster and dd loves it. I wouldn't pay $300 for it, but I do feel it was worth what I paid. When dd2 decides she is ready to give up her Regent, I'll have to see what other boosters are available. But, I have a feeling that dd1 may have to pass down her Oobr and get a Monterey because of the way she's growing. Unfortunately, I don't think the Oobr is best for kids with a booty.
    Where did you find one for just over $200??

Quote Originally Posted by littleangelfire View Post
    ok - but how do you go into a store and order one? I mean is it oobr like goober or what? Why on earth do they give them names that are near impossible to decipher. Of course, I also called Britax 'brit-tax' for most of my live, until the first time I called them up on the phone and was told welcome to Breyetax.
    My son is skinny too. So far I am just not wild about him in boosters. He is 5 and flirts with 40 lbs dressed. He has a tiny waist and can still wear size 3 shorts!! He is just about 44" tall though.
    Amy,

Quote Originally Posted by Callansmomma View Post
    Where did you find one for just over $200?
    It was a pre-order from Magic Beans. They had them discounted by $80! Good thing, because the release date kept getting pushed back over and over.
    Abbysnail ~ 11 ~ Maui FR85 (booster mode) and Leopard Olli
    Chica ~ 9.5 ~ Pink Monterey and Julius Olli
    Loveybug ~ 3.5 ~ rfing in a Cranberry TFP and ffing in a FR85

Quote Originally Posted by hsjwmom View Post
    It was a pre-order from Magic Beans. They had them discounted by $80! Good thing, because the release date kept getting pushed back over and over.
    Dang!! He really likes the Skurvy. If I could get it for under $200 I might be able to justify it. I really wish AAFES would sell them! Heck! I wish ANYONE nearby would sell them. Then at least I could play with one and maybe it would be coupon eligible.
    Amy,