Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!


 

Sponsored Ads

Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    CPS Technician Callansmomma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    378

    Is a Clek really worth it?

    I really like the Clek Oobr. Well, at least I do online. I've never seen one in person. Is it really worth it? What makes it so great that it is $275? If money were no object I think I would get one. As it stands now it isn't and I only need a booster as a spare seat.

    Anyway, if you have one why did you buy it? Do you feel that the Oobr was worth the cost? Is this your child's primary seat? Would you buy one again?
    Amy,

    SAHM to one, CPST, RN with BSN.

    Looking for fun things to do with kids?? http://www.crazyaboutcarseats.blogspot.com/

  2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads
    Join Date
    April, 2001
    Location
    Car-Seat.Org
    Posts
    Many
     
     

  3. #2
    CPS Technician Callansmomma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    378

    Re: Is a Clek really worth it?

    Anyone?
    Amy,

    SAHM to one, CPST, RN with BSN.

    Looking for fun things to do with kids?? http://www.crazyaboutcarseats.blogspot.com/

  4. #3
    CPS Advocate
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Invisible, but right behind you
    Posts
    9,820

    Re: Is a Clek really worth it?

    Is it worth it? It's up to you

    I think it's REALLY a nice seat. The design, the materials, the thought that went into it...blow other hbb out of the water.

  5. #4
    Carseat Crankypants carseatcoach's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    7,732

    Re: Is a Clek really worth it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Maedze View Post
    Is it worth it? It's up to you

    I think it's REALLY a nice seat. The design, the materials, the thought that went into it...blow other hbb out of the water.
    I agree. I think the price is justified. However, that doesn't mean that I can afford it -- there are a lot of things that are "worth" their price tag but still don't fit in my budget, and this is one of them. I doubt I'll be buying one.
    CPST and Mama to a 13yo girl, 5-stepped at age 10 and 5'

    Posted from my toaster using a PopTart

  6. #5
    CPS Advocate
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Invisible, but right behind you
    Posts
    9,820

    Re: Is a Clek really worth it?

    Yup. There's the rub. My son has a perfectly good Nautilus that fits him well in booster mode, and that's what he'll be using when he outgrows harnessed mode. I don't have the luxury of buying a 300 dollar booster. Even if I want to. LOL.

  7. #6
    Carseat Crazy hsjwmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    933

    Re: Is a Clek really worth it?

    I preordered ours for just over $200. It is a great booster and dd loves it. I wouldn't pay $300 for it, but I do feel it was worth what I paid. When dd2 decides she is ready to give up her Regent, I'll have to see what other boosters are available. But, I have a feeling that dd1 may have to pass down her Oobr and get a Monterey because of the way she's growing. Unfortunately, I don't think the Oobr is best for kids with a booty.
    Abbysnail ~ 11 ~ Maui FR85 (booster mode) and Leopard Olli
    Chica ~ 9.5 ~ Pink Monterey and Julius Olli
    Loveybug ~ 3.5 ~ rfing in a Cranberry TFP and ffing in a FR85

  8. #7
    CPS Advocate Kat_Momof3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Hampton Roads, Virginia
    Posts
    8,451

    Re: Is a Clek really worth it?

    Quote Originally Posted by chickabiddy View Post
    I agree. I think the price is justified. However, that doesn't mean that I can afford it -- there are a lot of things that are "worth" their price tag but still don't fit in my budget, and this is one of them. I doubt I'll be buying one.
    THIS... is exactly it. I had an Olli... I know that clek seats are worth every penny... the oobr just isn't in my budget at all.

    Not even remotely.

    Ruthie fits just as well in her Vivo as she would in the Oobr... and I just have to get over MY lust for the seat... lol.



    Check out my new hair blog - Ruthie-dos

  9. #8
    Carseat Crazy Citrine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Groton, CT
    Posts
    281

    Re: Is a Clek really worth it?

    I have had the seat 1 full week now. I am training my daughter in it. I must say the price tag is hard to swallow, but when you see the materials it took to make the seat, then you understand the price tag. It is a heavy seat because of the magnesium back frame. What made me buy it, was the materials. I love how it has a Magnesium back frame and metal rods in the headrest that conects to the magnesium back frame. The head rest is super easy to adjust. You adjust it like you do on a vechile headrest. I know my daughter would be just as safe in any other booster with proper use, but I love the materials in this one.
    Olivia 4.26.04 Santa Fe
    Makayla 9.16.06 Kiddy Cruiser Fix Pro
    Abigail 11.17.11 RF Peg Perego Primo Viaggio
    Tobias 11.6.13 in Keyfit 22

  10. #9
    CPS Technician firemomof3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    5,039

    Re: Is a Clek really worth it?

    I like ours a lot and yes I do think that its worth every penny. I also really like the Monterey but my daught is too thin and didn't fit in it correctly.
    DD1 10.5y/o seatbelt
    DD2 8y/o 45" 52lbs. backless
    DS 7y/o 51" 58lbs. ProBooster or backless

  11. #10
    CPS Technician littleangelfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    kansas city area
    Posts
    1,753

    Re: Is a Clek really worth it?

    ok - but how do you go into a store and order one? I mean is it oobr like goober or what? Why on earth do they give them names that are near impossible to decipher. Of course, I also called Britax 'brit-tax' for most of my live, until the first time I called them up on the phone and was told welcome to Breyetax.

  12. #11
    Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus Jeanum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    14,512

    Re: Is a Clek really worth it?

    Oobr is pronounced like "uber" and rhymes with goober. Clek picked that spelling because it was like how a kid would spell uber or some such cutsey rationale for the product naming, lol.
    Regards,
    Jean

    DD1 Age 16, 66" Driver's Ed
    DD2 Age 12, 64" 5 steps

    Click here if you wish to view the full size version of my avatar

  13. #12
    Carseat Crazy ntrenary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    northern Colorado
    Posts
    398

    Re: Is a Clek really worth it?

    I've always said Brit-tax too, because you say brit-ish.
    So it's really supposed to be brI(long i)-tax?

  14. #13
    Senior Community Member thepote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,543

    Re: Is a Clek really worth it?

    Quote Originally Posted by ntrenary View Post
    I've always said Brit-tax too, because you say brit-ish.
    So it's really supposed to be brI(long i)-tax?
    Yeah - long 'I' sound

  15. #14
    CPS Technician Callansmomma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    378

    Re: Is a Clek really worth it?

    Quote Originally Posted by hsjwmom View Post
    I preordered ours for just over $200. It is a great booster and dd loves it. I wouldn't pay $300 for it, but I do feel it was worth what I paid. When dd2 decides she is ready to give up her Regent, I'll have to see what other boosters are available. But, I have a feeling that dd1 may have to pass down her Oobr and get a Monterey because of the way she's growing. Unfortunately, I don't think the Oobr is best for kids with a booty.
    Where did you find one for just over $200??


    Quote Originally Posted by littleangelfire View Post
    ok - but how do you go into a store and order one? I mean is it oobr like goober or what? Why on earth do they give them names that are near impossible to decipher. Of course, I also called Britax 'brit-tax' for most of my live, until the first time I called them up on the phone and was told welcome to Breyetax.
    My son is skinny too. So far I am just not wild about him in boosters. He is 5 and flirts with 40 lbs dressed. He has a tiny waist and can still wear size 3 shorts!! He is just about 44" tall though.
    Amy,

    SAHM to one, CPST, RN with BSN.

    Looking for fun things to do with kids?? http://www.crazyaboutcarseats.blogspot.com/

  16. #15
    Carseat Crazy hsjwmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    933

    Re: Is a Clek really worth it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Callansmomma View Post
    Where did you find one for just over $200?
    It was a pre-order from Magic Beans. They had them discounted by $80! Good thing, because the release date kept getting pushed back over and over.
    Abbysnail ~ 11 ~ Maui FR85 (booster mode) and Leopard Olli
    Chica ~ 9.5 ~ Pink Monterey and Julius Olli
    Loveybug ~ 3.5 ~ rfing in a Cranberry TFP and ffing in a FR85

  17. #16
    CPS Technician Callansmomma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    378

    Re: Is a Clek really worth it?

    Quote Originally Posted by hsjwmom View Post
    It was a pre-order from Magic Beans. They had them discounted by $80! Good thing, because the release date kept getting pushed back over and over.
    Dang!! He really likes the Skurvy. If I could get it for under $200 I might be able to justify it. I really wish AAFES would sell them! Heck! I wish ANYONE nearby would sell them. Then at least I could play with one and maybe it would be coupon eligible.
    Amy,

    SAHM to one, CPST, RN with BSN.

    Looking for fun things to do with kids?? http://www.crazyaboutcarseats.blogspot.com/

Similar Threads

  1. Is it worth it?
    By devildogtigress in forum Carseat Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-22-2010, 09:25 AM
  2. Is it worth it?
    By agurlsride in forum CAR SEATS - General Child Safety Seat Questions, Help and Advice
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-03-2009, 11:32 PM
  3. Is it worth it for 5 lbs RF?
    By jubgulia in forum CAR SEATS - General Child Safety Seat Questions, Help and Advice
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-27-2008, 10:52 AM
  4. Is it worth it?
    By mcomommy in forum CAR SEATS - General Child Safety Seat Questions, Help and Advice
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-13-2008, 01:00 PM
  5. Would this be worth it to you?
    By arly1983 in forum Carseat Chat
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-25-2007, 03:47 PM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •