Travel questions

bigteamug

We're going to Disneyland in June (at least, we hope to...) and I was wondering about travel stuff.

I'm assuming that all US rental cars will have latch and top tethers? (I really wish they all did in Europe....)

What about shuttle services? Do they? Taxi's?

I prefer the radian for ease of use on the airplane for DD2, with the tray and all, and DD1 (7 years) will just be in a lapbelt for the plane, and then a RSTV for ground transport (we've one errand to do and need a rental for one day, but will walk to the park and probably take a shuttle/taxi to the airport).

BUT if I don't have latch, I'd really rather have the Blvd along than deal with a seatbelt install, esp if the people are waiting.

I'd imagine that the taxi guys will of course have the meter running whilst I'm installing? Talk about pressure to perform!

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Rental cars all will (unless you rent from a "rent a clunker" place rentals will all be fairly recent MYs.) Many shuttles will not (some hotels may use newer minivans as shuttles.) Taxis will depend-- you can call and ask for a newer model one to ensure they will.

If you are using exclusively Disney transport you will not need car seats at all at your destination, but if you are planning on using other transport, you can probably work it so you always have LATCH if you either rent a car or call and ask specifically for a taxi that is a 2004 or later MY.

NVMBR02

It has been awhile since my last trip to Disneyland so hopefully someone that has been there recently can answer...

Any rental car you get in the US should have LATCH. Most rental cars are only 1-2 years old at most.

Taxi's and airpost shuttles are hit and miss. I would say a good portion of taxis do have LATCH. Some are older and do not. I would guess that the vast majority of taxis in that area would have LATCH/top tethers.

Airport shuttles are harder. Most are 15 passeneger vans and are not required to have LATCH.

Another option would be to rent a towncar to get to and from the airport. My family has done this the last several times we have traveled and needed transportation to the airport. It is usually under $50 and it works out to about the same price as a taxi/airport shuttle, depending on how far you are traveling. So far every car that has picked us up has had LATCH and I was able to call and confirm with the compnay before they came to pick us up.

bigteamug

I called the Hojo, where we're staying, and the shuttle service they recommend also has a sedan service. The sedans do indeed have latch. Phew.

I still dread going to Europe next year - isofix was still very much an optional thing when we were there last time - don't know yet if I'll risk the radian there.

Thanks!

Oh, and the Disney Express (which for DL is not run by the Disney company), doesn't go to Long Beach. They do serve LAX and Orange County, but LAX is a longer drive away, with lots of potential traffic, and it looks like Orange County Airport will be under construction. Really don't want to deal with that.....

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Yeah, sorry, I was thinking Disney World for some reason. Disneyland is different. Sorry for my mistake!

Morganthe

I still dread going to Europe next year - isofix was still very much an optional thing when we were there last time - don't know yet if I'll risk the radian there.

I don't know when you were here last & in what country, but I'm in Germany. Isofix is standard with all newer vehicles. No troubles when we rented last year from Sixth (Budget) -- Passat wagon & a Merc A-Class. Both had top tethers too. Worked great with the Radian 65. :)

Today, I rode in a friend's 2003 Toyota little car of some type and she had ISOfix anchors in there too.

Don't forget, you can always use a locking/seatbelt clip with the Radian if there are no anchors. Mine came standard with one in its own little spot. But I really wouldn't worry about it. Unless you're renting clunkers, I suspect all new European vehicles have ISOFIX as a standard requirement in them by now.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC