Would you get the Radian 80 SL...

Raegansmom4

I posted before about my generous uncle giving us some money. We used half of it yesterday to put new tires on my car, which desperately, desperately needed it, and get a transmission flush for my car and a part for my dh's car. I am really, really tempted to use the last bit of it to get my dd2 a Radian 80 SL. I make heavy kids. At 23 months, she's right about 33 lbs. She's about on the same weight curve as my ODD who hit 40 lbs at 3 yo exactly and 45 lbs at 3.75 years. I have dd2 in a MR right now. Would you get the Radian 80 SL for a big toddler like I have? She's a shortie, so I know she will easily make 40 lbs in the MR before outgrowing it by height. Or, should I just skip it since the Radian would probably buy less than a year's worth of rfing time?

ADS

Shaunam

I'd be tempted to buy it but I'd also be tempted to wait it out and see how she grows. She may not grow as fast as your other DD.

How do YOU feel about turning a child around at about 3 years? If you are ok with it, I'd stick with the MR because it sounds like she'll get close to that. If you really want to get her closer to 4, then buy it.

ETA: Also consider that the radian will last longer ff'ing and you could re-sell the MR and make back some of that money.

Raegansmom4

I thought more people would weigh in for me? Is it worth it to get my dd from 3ish rfing to 4ish rfing (if she gains like her sister, which she has up to this point)?

kandamom

I thought more people would weigh in for me? Is it worth it to get my dd from 3ish rfing to 4ish rfing (if she gains like her sister, which she has up to this point)?

I hope more people can weigh in on this! I am in the same situation. I'm pretty sure a 40 lb. rf seat will get ds2 until his third birthday rf, but I'd like to keep him rf until closer to 4. He is tall though, so I think he'll be pretty close to outgrowing the height of the radian rf by the time he hits 40 lbs. (An inch of torso could last a year at that age, though. I need to get an accurate measurement without his winter hat one of these days.)

Like a pp said, you could think about selling the MyRide. As pp also said, you could wait and see how she grows. My DS1 and DS2 have had very different growth patterns. So far, DS2 has gained much more weight since his 2nd birthday than DS1 did between his 2nd and 3rd birthdays. You never can tell for sure. I would maybe set the money aside just in case and wait it out for now, unless you find a sale that is just too good to pass up.

Best of luck!

armywife12

I'd probably get the Radian. My son his on the heavy side too and he's tall so we bought the xtsl last month. We have a myride for him but he is close to the top of the seat and I didn't want to ff him in the next 6 months. Caleb was 33lbs at 22 months old and hit 35lbs at 25 months old. He has slowed down a lot thought. He is hovering around 36lbs now and is almost 30 months old.
I think its a wise investment and I would try to sell the myride so you get some of the money back.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I like to get my kids to 4 rfing, but I can easily b/c they're small. AJ went ffing at 33 mos and 34# (he's the not small one!) and I was fine w/ that. If I had the $$$ and didn't need it elsewhere really badly, I'd get the Radian probably. If it comes down to eating or getting a carseat, obviously eating would win.

abigaylebelle

If I loved the radian and it installed well in my car I would buy one for a child who will likely be 40lbs at 3. I wouldn't lose any sleep over a ff 3 year old, but at the same time if you think that you would rather have her rf until closer to 4 then I understand that too. Now that my ds is almost 3 I realize that I would rather keep him rf, not just for safety but because he loves to sleep in the car and rf is more comfortable for him.

celtic1885

*I* just bought 2. One for dd3 who is 34/35# at 21/2 - she had been FF for about 6months, turned her back RF in Nov. (we had a carseat playday she saw some of the other kiddos, asked to RF and loves it). DD2 has been asking to RF again, she's been FF for almost 2 years (prior to finding the board, then outgrew seats). DD2 is 41.4# and turned 4 on January 10th. If she hadn't been asking insistently since November to RF I probably wouldn't have. I also opened and installed only one seat for a week to see if the novelty would wear off..........nope.

In short - the final decision was to buy two because I have 2 seats/child. Once she outgrows her's it'll either be the backup for dd3 or I'll sell it. it's hard to tell if she'll have the same growth pattern as your other children. A pp had a good suggestion of selling the myride to offset the RN expense.......

Not much help I know. I would say yes, but what is your goal age to keep them RF? Does dd2 seem more proportionate (smaller/larger head), more mature - ok going forward?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC