Flying with RN

britfish

We are going to be flying next week with DD, she is 5.5. I will be taking the RN to use when we arrive. Would you recommend using it on the plane since we have it? If so, is it easy to install? Anyone have any pics. of one on a plane? DH said she may not be able to use the tray table w/ the seat installed, anyone know?

ADS

nmb

Actually, the Radian is the only seat that you can use the tray table with, because it's such a low profile.

I have pics if you want but they're rear-facing, since my son was only 29 mos when we flew w/ it.... I loved the Radian for flying, we had used a Marathon before that, the Radian was much easier. It's heavy...but if you're taking it anyway, might as well use it - that way you KNOW how it's handled and that you have it with you. No worries about it being thrown or dropped and damaged. We brought our stroller just to carry the carseat and bags. =)

The one problem that I did have w/ the Radian FF (we RF'ed on 3 out of 4 legs of travel, the 4th we were in a seat that it wouldn't fit RF'ing) is that the buckle ends up behind the kids back. Tried using an extender and the same thing. There is a plastic piece on the back of the cover over the belt path...but DS still complained about that. Maybe someone here will have better suggestions as to what to do about that, if there's anything? I ended up putting my sweater behind the cover over the belt for extra padding.

Here's my pics: (sorry I don't have an FF)
PlaneridetoUncleNicks.jpg

DSC00679.jpg

(yep, the straps are too high, had set it for FF since we assumed it wouldn't fit RF...DH installed w/out changing the straps during the "preboard" and I didn't feel it was important to uninstall, change, and reinstall while everyone waited for us, on the plane.)

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The FAA allows a forward facing seat to be anywhere, but you need to make sure you can get by it in an emergency. Plus kids tend to like the window. So I generally install my daughters by the windows.

Here it is forward facing, including a picture with the tray down:
957338440_86a01ad1ef.jpg

957337956_066bf884f6.jpg

2218913124_487b02d713.jpg

Wendy

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
does the car seat have to go next to the window or can it go in the middle seat?

My understanding is that it is allowed in the middle seat if it is FF and will not interfere with the window-seat passenger getting out. But I could be wrong.

britfish

wow, it looks like it fits really well. I'd love to be able to put DD in the middle seat, does the radian over hang the airplane seat much? It looks like the RN might actually make it easier to use the tray table.

mamaemily

I've flown with two FF radians, and they worked great installed next to each other in window and middle seats (the flight attendants didn't give me any trouble about it).

They are so easy to install forward facing that I did it while my husband held our newborn and got them both installed before everyone was even on the plane (it helped to go straight to the back of the plane so that nobody was trying to walk by us as they got on).

The previous poster was correct that the buckle winds up right behind the kids' backs, but neither of my kids complained about it at all.

An unexpected plus for me was that I could rest my head on the side of the middle radian while I was in the aisle seat and sleep a little!

Good luck on your trip!

NVMBR02

wow, it looks like it fits really well. I'd love to be able to put DD in the middle seat, does the radian over hang the airplane seat much? It looks like the RN might actually make it easier to use the tray table.

It doesn't overhang the airplane seat (at least not any of the seats I have flown with it on)

Morganthe

The previous poster was correct that the buckle winds up right behind the kids' backs, but neither of my kids complained about it at all.

An unexpected plus for me was that I could rest my head on the side of the middle radian while I was in the aisle seat and sleep a little!
I leaned & slept too. :D :thumbsup:

To prevent the buckle from being right in the center (and it did bug dd), I just twisted the male or female side to put it more offside & on a corner instead. :shrug-shoulders: Made it easier when the male part was twisted to reach through and tighten the strap from the side. Then pull up the airline seat to make everything snug in there.

It doesn't overhang the airplane seat (at least not any of the seats I have flown with it on)
:yeahthat:

I put photos of the Radian + luggage cart & dd using an airline tray table on this post
She outgrew the seat in August. So no more travel with it. :(

Pixels

Forward facing, it installs easily. If you keep the seat pushed back, you can use the tray table and it doesn't overhang the front of the seat. I pulled the bottom of the seat forward to give my daughter some added recline, and when I did that, the tray table was unusable.

Rear facing, you'll need a buckle extender. (I know you're not considering rear facing, but in case anyone else reading this thread is considering it.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC