Update 2 on the updated AO/AOE/Eddie Bauer seats

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I had a chance to go through the manual at work today, and there are 2 major changes.

1st - the seat must be in position 4 - full mechanical recline for rf'ing. I had initially been under the impression that it was either 3 or 4 but I was wrong. (I was going off the bulletin, now I've read the manual. ;))

2nd - The outer-most crotch buckle position can no longer be used rf'ing. Any one can be used for ff'ing, but only the 2 closest can be used rf'ing.

AND - the lines on the belt guides for level to ground are wrong on the seat. Anyone who follows that line level to ground - at least the ones we have in store, are going to have the seat over-reclined. So looks like another batch of bad belt guides have made it on to Canadian seats. :thumbsdown: Definitely something to keep in mind when talking with parents and when checking seats.

(I put this as a new thread so that this info wouldn't be potentially missed in the other one.)

ADS

tiggercat

AND - the lines on the belt guides for level to ground are wrong on the seat. Anyone who follows that line level to ground - at least the ones we have in store, are going to have the seat over-reclined. So looks like another batch of bad belt guides have made it on to Canadian seats. :thumbsdown: Definitely something to keep in mind when talking with parents and when checking seats.

This is endlessly frustrating to me. I hate seeing seats come in lying flat on their backs (or FF with crazy recline, not even on the vehicle seat) because of those stupid lines. I'd rather they just take them off altogether.
Isn't this a compliance issue?

snowbird25ca

This is endlessly frustrating to me. I hate seeing seats come in lying flat on their backs (or FF with crazy recline, not even on the vehicle seat) because of those stupid lines. I'd rather they just take them off altogether.
Isn't this a compliance issue?

Unfortunately, it's not. Canada doesn't have anything in it's standards requiring that the level indicator be accurate. Canadian standards actually don't even require any kind of level indicator be added on the seat. On the other hand, US standards do require that a level indicator be on the seat. So end result is if they mess up on belt guides, they stick them on Canadian seats because it doesn't matter on our seats. :rolleyes:

I'm going to query BB on this a little further though and get her input. I know that the seats do very well in terms of downward rotation, so it's possible that they're not actually failing even if installed with line level to ground - but it's PITA in terms of fitting in the vehicle, and there is still the fact that the seat is going to rotate further than it otherwise would which may influence injury risk to the child in a severe crash. But from a standards perspective, 55* vs 65* downward rotation is still a pass...

mommy-medic

Thanks! (I know it's canadian but still nice to stay on top of things- or at least try!)

I tried to give you some rep but it said I have to go spread my reputation around before giving it to you again?? :confused: Off to spread my reputation around.... :D

snowbird25ca

Thanks! (I know it's canadian but still nice to stay on top of things- or at least try!)

I tried to give you some rep but it said I have to go spread my reputation around before giving it to you again?? :confused: Off to spread my reputation around.... :D

I know that you guys have the 3in1's available with the non-removable base now, so I'm guessing there's the same change with it. I try and keep up on US seats though too - never know when one might make it's way to Canada. :love:

amyd

Trudy, do you know what DOM these start with? I checked a 11.09 3-in-1 tonight & expected it to be one of the new ones, but it wasn't.

mommycat

So frustrating with the level indicator because the few parents who actually read their manual try and try to make those lines work and they really are next to impossible to achieve in most vehicles I have seen these seats in, making parents feel like they've failed, or they make the seat overreclined which is equally frustrating all around. Grr.

Twinklefae

That just sucks... I always think that the only two things most parents seem to know about car seats is that they should a) be in the middle of the car and b) the line should be level.

Friends of a friend had their ff toddler practically laying down, because 'the line had to be level, right?'

I can foresee some disasters....

snowbird25ca

Trudy, do you know what DOM these start with? I checked a 11.09 3-in-1 tonight & expected it to be one of the new ones, but it wasn't.

Our display model at work is Dec 31/09. I expect that there may be a gradual phase-in though. I saw the wal-mart model tonight and I think it's a new color - but it's the removable base and 3 recline positions. (I didn't think to check the DOM on it.)

So it's possible we'll continue to see both versions of the seat depending on what store the person shops at for awhile. All I know for certain is that the 2010 models at TRU/BRU are all the new design.

That just sucks... I always think that the only two things most parents seem to know about car seats is that they should a) be in the middle of the car and b) the line should be level.

Friends of a friend had their ff toddler practically laying down, because 'the line had to be level, right?'

I can foresee some disasters....

The manual has been udpated and color coded, and there were a few things I liked about it. One was that it is stated multiple times the 1yr age minimum for ff'ing - not just in the warning section like the old manual, but also in the ff'ing installation section. The other being that it says right in the ff'ing section that the line level to ground is not to be used when ff'ing. The same rule about ff'ing recline applies as with previous models - the recline adjustment can only be used if needed to make the back of the carseat flush with the vehicle seat.

I have yet to see a vehicle where this would be needed, but maybe that day will eventually come... until then, every one I see partially reclined gets put fully upright. ;)

Now that I've seen the new pattern at Wal-mart tonight I'm wondering if only the elite and EB models are going to have the new base? Would be nice if the seats could be more standardized... but maybe the old 40lb seats won't be made anymore now and they'll just be replaced by the 35/50 seats with the removable base. One can hope anyways.

canadiangie

Our display model at work is Dec 31/09. I expect that there may be a gradual phase-in though. I saw the wal-mart model tonight and I think it's a new color - but it's the removable base and 3 recline positions. (I didn't think to check the DOM on it.)
So it's possible we'll continue to see both versions of the seat depending on what store the person shops at for awhile. All I know for certain is that the 2010 models at TRU/BRU are all the new design.

The manual has been udpated and color coded, and there were a few things I liked about it. One was that it is stated multiple times the 1yr age minimum for ff'ing - not just in the warning section like the old manual, but also in the ff'ing installation section. The other being that it says right in the ff'ing section that the line level to ground is not to be used when ff'ing. The same rule about ff'ing recline applies as with previous models - the recline adjustment can only be used if needed to make the back of the carseat flush with the vehicle seat.

I have yet to see a vehicle where this would be needed, but maybe that day will eventually come... until then, every one I see partially reclined gets put fully upright. ;)

Now that I've seen the new pattern at Wal-mart tonight I'm wondering if only the elite and EB models are going to have the new base? Would be nice if the seats could be more standardized... but maybe the old 40lb seats won't be made anymore now and they'll just be replaced by the 35/50 seats with the removable base. One can hope anyways.

Was it the pink/brown/white pattern you saw at walmart?

Also, I was at TRU today and saw the new AO base. It reminds me of something. Why do I feel like I've seen it on a different seat? :confused: It's flat and little, the seat tilts back from it. Where have I seen this before?

My first thought was that as long as the narrowness and flatness of it doesn't make installation tippy I think it will be good. A move in the right direction, I hope. Too bad about the mandatory recline #4 for rf'ing though. Then again with the smaller base I can see how with a little tweeking the seat could be installed at a more upright angle while still having it in recline position #4.

Anyway, just some ramblings...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC