Youtube video (not carseat related)

ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I didn't like it. Their point is loud, but it could be so much more clear. How about showing some POSITIVE kids see/do :confused: :( It was just depressing & seemed hopeless.

southpawboston

wow, how true that our children learn from imitation. unfortunately we have a very needy elderly cat who expresses his neediness at the most inopportune moments (like when both kids are screaming). we've resorted to yelling at him to "go!" or "get out!" (i know, it's horrible) a few times even when a kiddo has been within earshot... shock of shocks when we witnessed maggie one day yelling at him and shaking a finger! it was bittersweet-- sweet in the way they so innocently copy what their dear parents do, bitter in that it is negative behavior, and they don't realize it. needless to say, we haven't yelled at him since. :)

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I didn't like it. Their point is loud, but it could be so much more clear. How about showing some POSITIVE kids see/do :confused: :( It was just depressing & seemed hopeless.

The very last scene was positive. The man and his son helping a woman pick up her dropped packages is positive, IMO. I can see what you are saying, though. The majority of the video is negative.

Sorry you didn't like it.:eek: :eek:

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I love the point they're making & am glad you shared ... but I was close to tears watching most of it :eek:

skaterbabs

I agree with Tiffany. While the last clip was positive, I think the point could have been gotten across much better if there had been MORE positive examples, even if it were just a couple more. And some of the negative ones really skeeved me out, especially the one with the kid drawing back to punch the woman and the little girl with the lit cig in her hand.

southpawboston

yeah, but it's the shock value that makes it stick in my mind... i am so shocked at the examples i see that it makes me acutely aware of how influential i am on my daughters' behavioral development. it there were only "cute" examples of child imitation, i would have thought, "aw, cute" and then forgotten about it.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Positive does not have to be "cute"....

Likewise, I do not believe in such grotesque scare tactics to educate parents -- it just adds to the stress level of those for whom such stuff is already a high risk & gives no LASTING example of how to actually live life better. Awareness is awesome, but awareness alone doesn't make things better.

Michi

I have seen it before.
Actually the one that bothers me the most is the kid giving "the finger."
I know they are trying to make a point, but I wonder how this affected the child actors that made the video. No way would I have let my kids be in something like that!

skaterbabs

I know they are trying to make a point, but I wonder how this affected the child actors that made the video.

I think that's why the two that bothered me did so. These are very young children - who are not developmentally ready to understand the difference between real and pretend all the time.

Patriot, don't be sorry for sharing the video - I agree that it raises awareness in a needed area, I just think it could have been done in a better way.

lovinwaves

Wow, all I can say is WOW!! What a gripping and emotional video. I was almost in tears at the end. I think it is great! It really makes you think about your actions before you do them.

The one with the Mom yelling at the baby screaming is what made me in tears. I remember a few select times with DS when he wouldn't stop crying and I would raise my voice with him and Peyton would be standing right there. (I am ashamed, but it is the truth...:() It sickens me that Peyton saw that, and saw mommy at her worst, but it is also reality that we all lose our cool sometimes.... I later sat down with her and told her what mommy did was very wrong, and that I shouldn't have done that.

I think if we do do bad actions and words in front of our kids accidently then we need to go back and explain to them it was wrong and apologize.

Haileys_mommy

haha i find this very funny. my daughter just turned 1, 3 days ago and she is already mimicing people...its quite funny. but makes ya think twice b4 doing stuff.

JaRylan

Sorry if I shouldn't have shared it. :eek: :eek: :eek:

I'm glad you shared it too. As sad and shocking as it was this is reality for many children - anything that makes parents stop and think and reconsider thier actions has benefits. If nothing else it has given us something to talk about.

I'm betting that some of the images were digitally enhanced...so maybe the little boy giving the finger was really pointing until they changed it to a digital flip-off.

southpawboston

I remember a few select times with DS when he wouldn't stop crying and I would raise my voice with him and Peyton would be standing right there. (I am ashamed, but it is the truth...:() It sickens me that Peyton saw that, and saw mommy at her worst, but it is also reality that we all lose our cool sometimes.... I later sat down with her and told her what mommy did was very wrong, and that I shouldn't have done that.

I think if we do do bad actions and words in front of our kids accidently then we need to go back and explain to them it was wrong and apologize.

i think situations like that happen to the best of parents, and i agree that the kids need to be told what happened and that it was wrong of the parent. that not only teaches them it was wrong, but it also teaches them the concept of "owning up" to and acknowledging that you've done something wrong.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Sorry if I shouldn't have shared it. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Aw, hun, I'm not upset that you shared it! I'm glad you shared it :) The intent behind the video is awesome ... it's stuff that does need to be understood -- but understanding only the negative half while forgetting to build up the positive is just near sighted ... not on YOUR part: on theirs ;)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC