Question Chest Clip broke...safe to use seat?

nevaehsmommy

I have a safety 1st 3-1 seat. The chest clip will not stay closed. I called Dorel and they are sending me a new clip. It will take up to a week or more to get the new clip. In the meantime my sister is have a c-section on Wensday and the bucket seat my neice rides in will be passed to the new baby. Issabella was going to move into the 3-1. SO do we need to buy a new seat and then use it as an extra or is it ok to use for now?

Dorel said use my discretion. I know that It is only a pre crash postioner but what do you think?

ADS

TerisBoys

If her c-section is Wed, chances are you might have the clip before she's released from the hospital anyway.

I'd wait and see.

nevaehsmommy

That is a good point... Also Tuesday we are having a tech install all the seats in her( sisters) car. Will the tech install the seat with out the chest clip? and how hard would it be to put back the new one in a rear facing situation w/o removing the seat.

Pixels

Techs should not be installing seats for you, they should be teaching you to install the seat. If you don't know how to install your own seats when you leave a tech, the tech didn't do their job.

A tech shouldn't have much of a problem with the chest clip. Just explain to them that you know that it's a problem and have a new one on the way from the manufacturer. It will be noted on the paperwork, that's all.

That said, usually you can adjust the harness height on rear facing seats without uninstalling. (Replacing the chest clip requires unthreading and rethreading the harness, hence my comparison.) Loosen the harness all the way. Take the harness off the splitter plate in back, pull it out of the shell, and replace the chest clip, all while making sure that the adjuster strap and splitter plate don't get twisted. Then rethread the harness and put the harness back on the splitter plate. I strongly suggest doing only one side at a time to make sure you don't get twists.

nevaehsmommy

I do know how to install all of the seats independent of each other. the problem is trying to get all three seats to play nice with each other. the main bully is the evenflo discovery that both my sister and I hate. We are most likley going to gift it to some one in need and buy a myride for the new baby. Scrounging up the fund will take a few pay periods.

I have a true fit for my daughter, and evenflo Chase.
DN uses the Discovery seat and the 3-1

So since we need to use the bucket seat to keep Issabella rfing in the 3-1 we are in a pickle hence the trip to the tech....I would hope that she would not do the install but give me and sister pointers on how to get the seats to work....If I let Issabella in the True Fit then DD will be in the chase which is a back up seat used and NEVER taken out of granmas car becasue it is so hard to install. DD has outgrown the 3-1 by height but has a little over and inch in the chase. Anyway most of this is way OT

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC