Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Sienna question: seatbelt attached to seat?

This is one of the things that's worrying me: the 2nd-row passenger shoulder belt comes out from the seat. It is not attached to the car. Since these seats fold up, come out, etc, then I'm concerned that it's not safe *not* to have the seatbelt bolted to the car somehow rather than just to the seat. I'm sure the engineers have tested it, etc.

Anyone have any comments on this?

Thanks!

Oh, also, can I add another rear tether to the third row?

DS|2002|FF in Britax Frontier 85 and Graco TurboBooster
    DD|2007|FF in two Britax Frontier 85's

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member sirrahn's Avatar

Re: Sienna question: seatbelt attached to seat?

I have an 8 passenger so my seat with the integrated seatbelt is the center one. Although it is smaller than the other 2 middle row seats, it is *heavy*. I was told that was because of its being reinforced to hold the seatbelt. I assume that the passenger side seat in the 7 passenger is similar. Really if you think about it, you want yourself coupled with the seat anyway, not so much as the vehicle frame.

No you cannot add a 3rd tether anchor to the back row. HTH!

Senior Community Member canadianmom2three's Avatar

My van also has seatbelts attached to the 2nd row (modular) seating. I got to see firsthand just the other day where they are attached - and really I was expecting something more - they are held on by one bolt through a piece of the metal seat frame...Although I've never really seen how belts are attached to the frame of the car, so perhaps it is just the same.

Carseat Crazy

Not that it is really relavent but Chevy and GMC has a lot of there SUV seatbelts designed this way. My dh Volvo wagon is this way as well. I never really questioned it.
    There was a recall on 04 and 05(not positive) Sienna's for the seatbelt. If you own one I would be sure it was corrected. It was a small piece that they fixed during an oil change.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    Not that it is really relavent but Chevy and GMC has a lot of there SUV seatbelts designed this way. My dh Volvo wagon is this way as well. I never really questioned it.
    There was a recall on 04 and 05(not positive) Sienna's for the seatbelt. If you own one I would be sure it was corrected. It was a small piece that they fixed during an oil change.
    I think that the Chevy/GMC's are still bolted to the car frame and just comes through the seat...? Or is it actually just attached to the seat frame itself?

So I feel hypocritical here, advocating that parents trust the engineers/manufacturers of child seats and car seat belts to work properly, and then I question what they're doing...!

Carseat Crazy

It's in the removable third row seats that remove in a similar way to the Sienna seats.

If the link works you can see a picture.
    http://www.familycar.com/RoadTests/G...irdRowSeat.jpg

Thanks for the pictures Yes, that's very similar what the Sienna belt looks like on the 2nd-row passenger's seat - not sure how they look in the 3rd-row...

Carseat Crazy

We have an 07 Sienna and the third row seatbelts are attached to the sides of the car, not the seat. It is just the passenger side captains chair that does this in ours. I think it is because you can move it to the center position. I thought about the safety aspect of it too.

Katie
    Katie - 34
    Taylor - 5/8/05 Nautilus, Monterey and Parkway
    Sam - 4/5/07 Nautilus, Safeguard and Frontier