2005 Prius... enabler's come play!

autumnlily

Grandparents want their own seats to keep at their house. I can give them some of my currently owned seats and they will pay for new seats for my vehicle. OR, they will buy the seats I recommend for them.

Vehicle: 2005 Prius
Installers: grandparents on occasion, me (tech) for the most part
Children:
4 year old (HWH), 33lbs 38.75" short torso (JUST fits in RA... tried today)
22 mo old twins (ERF), 22 & 24lbs, both short torso and under 33" (still fit RF in RA)...same growth pattern as big sister

I'd like to select long term seats, but obviously have extra seats to play musical car seats in the future (it would be nice to teach them just one harness system... they can get overwhelmed - (seriously, they nearly cut the straps off my Valco stroller because they couldn't figure how to release the buckle)

Seats to work with:
(1) Roundabout
(1) Radian 65SL
(2) Marathons
(1) Frontier
(1) Graco Nautilus
(1) Coccoro*
(1) Maestro

*RF Coccoro install may be too challenging for them to do on their own. Buckle might be challenging. We can give it a shot though! 4 year old won't fit much longer FF..

Seats I'm curious about and would like an excuse to purchase:
Avenue
Scenera
Titan (have one on loan to friend)
Priori (if it can be RF longer than RA)
Symphony

I am concerned about RF space and comfort of driver to see over seats out back window (grandparents are 65 & 77)

COME PLAY!!!

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I have installed a nauti. I does limit the seeing ability through the back window. Did you check the three across thread? I am thinking 2 symphony and a titan would be nice, if they will fit.

autumnlily

Thank you Judi! I've been thinking more on this...

I saw three combo's on the three across thread.

RN's & CCO

RN's & keyfit

and I've personally seen RN/MA/RN

I'm more concerned about a RF seat blocking rear view space vs the height of a FF seat blocking the back window. This is why I :love: my CCO and RA - the short shells definitely play a role for a niche seat (and thankfully I have had kids that can).

I'm afraid a RN would take up to much room RF space....

Am I nuts to think that the upright install of a My Ride rear facing or maybe a Complete Air behind the driver (if it can leave enough room or driver... I find the high shell does not interfere with vision when there) could be a part of the scenario? It would be nice to keep one seat permanently installed (currently, MA is installed FF behind passenger for weekly rides (4 yo)).

I'm off to look at Symphony RF posts. Does the surelatch work in RF too?

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
The surelatch is not all it is cracked up to be. Also, if doing a three across, you are going to want to use seat belts. It gives you more room. If you can fit the RFing seat behind the driver, that is great.

autumnlily

:doh: I knew that about the LATCH... slipped my mind. I was just looking at the Evenflo site and it looked fun to play with the surelatch - especially if I would do well for when the grandparents are forced to install.

Thanks!

oxeye

Two of the 3-across entries for a Prius are mine. (My sister has a 2005). How tall are the driver/passenger? The RF Radian behind the passenger seat (not touching as required) gave me plenty of room to sit comfortably. I am 5'6". My BIL drives with a RF Radian behind him and while he's not as far back as he would like to be, he's not uncomfortable either. He is 5'10".

The RF Coccoro was a very easy install in the center if you are worried about that. My BIL can do the RF Radian/RF CCO/ RF Radian combination by himself no problem. FF Radian in the center was easy as well if you know a few tricks.

Two Radians don't work well side-by-side RF. I tried that to give BIL more room driving.

I didn't try any other combinations so that's all the help I can give unfortunately!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I just put a RF Avenue in an 04 or 05 Prius. Center. Involved twisting the buckle down 2.5 times and a locking clip, because of those massively strong Toyota retractors that caused major tipping. Also unless it was puzzling with something or next to something way narrow, I don't think you would get it in with something else next to it-- it was a tight enough fit in the center that it was pretty much overlapping the other buckles. And that is NOT a wide seat.

When we did 3 across in a Prius I ended up using the RSTV because it was just easier than taking all day to figure out what would go in there. I did try a few things but we wanted to go to lunch. ;) I do recall not being able to put 3 Radians in (FF FF RF) but I didn't use seatbelt because at that point I was hungry. With seatbelt it might just have worked; FF RF FF might have worked even better. I think probably you're looking at at least one Radian or Coccoro.

autumnlily

Thank you ladies!

I thought about a vest. My 4 yo is quite the sensory girl - but, can be convinced with something new and cool to try...

I think I need to spend some time with my CCO and the Prius. If I can get them to install easy enough for my parents... I could see us using two CCO's and then keeping DD in her MA or RN. A radian is nice and low and would make loading one of the twins RF in the center doable.

What do you think of Scenera/RN/Scenera (RF/FF/RF)? Or Titans? I don't want the CCO's outboard with 4 yo in center... because I'm afraid she could bump them out of place when tring to get to her seat.

Drivers are 5'6" and 5'11" I think.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I don't know, worth a try, right?

My eldest has a sensory disorder and LOVES the vest. The old style (we don't have the new, so I'm not sure) really hugs and has enough weight to it that it actually functions a lot like a weighted therapy vest. She behaves better when wearing it. She'll actually, when having a difficult sensory day, ask to put on the vest, just around the house.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC