Opinions on what seat to buy please

stefplus3

My dd will be 5 in April and weighs 49lbs, height 47 inches, and her torso is 16.5 inches.

She's currently in the integrated seat in my minivan and a nautilus in dh's car. She has plenty of room left height/weight wise in the nautilus but is getting pretty close to the buckle. At that point she can't use it in harness mode anymore right?

What are my options? As far as boosters go I think it's between the monterey and turbo booster right? Would you put a child her size in a booster? She is very mature so I'm not worried about her not sitting still. I'm worried about her not being safe enough.

ADS

2BunniesMommy

She can still use the Nautilus. It is fine if she is on the strap a bit. As long as it is not all the way under her, no biggie.

mum2two

Are you looking for a seat to use in your minivan rather than the integrated seat? I had always heard but can't say for certain that they were not the greatest.

I think at her age and stats a booster would be fine as long as you find one that fits her well. The Monterey, Turbobooster, Vivo, Safeguard are all boosters that I hear a lot of positives about (some allow you to latch the seat inplace as well).

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
At not yet 5, I'd encourage you to keep her harnessed a bit longer. :)

There is no booster called the Safeguard (unless you mean the Safeguard Go, now discontinued, which converts to a backless.)

PP, you may mean the Parkway SlideGuard?

Also, the Parkway, Vivo, and TurboBooster do not LATCH.

The Oobr does.

mom2acrew

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Check the vehicle manual to see what the max weight is on the integrated seat, she may have outgrown it. By close to the buckle do mean crotch strap under her bum?

As long as she is under 65# and shoulders below harness slots she can continue to use it.....I believe unless there is an issue about the crotch strap. I can go check the manual at www.gracobaby.com or you can :)

Girls can be good booster riders before boys, typically 5 is the minimum I like to see, harnessed longer is best practice. IF you think she can stay seated properly positioned at all times (won't reach for a toy on the floor) a nice high back booster may be okay, especially for shorter trips and the Nautilus for longer trips when she may fall asleep?

stefplus3

Thanks for all the quick replies!

To answer a few things:

yup, new seat for my minivan (2002 chrysler voyager)

yes, I was talking about the crotch strap being too close to her little booty, I'll go check the online manual. I could be pulling that fact (or non fact) out of the air, lol.

I can't find the weight limit of the built in harness anywhere!!! I've even called the dealerships and they couldn't tell me. She is super tall and has a few more inches before she reaches the slots but I'm guessing the weight limit isn't high, hence my need for a new seat.

I'd love to keep her harnessed for a long time but something like a regent isn't in our budget (i don't think). We are actually on the waiting list thru the Kyle David Miller foundation but I'm not sure how fast that list will move up.

stefplus3

back again....the manual says use the crotch strap slot closest to but not under your child. Would that mean just not totally under? Or not under at all? It's not clear :rolleyes:

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
A graco rep came here and cleared it up when people were panicking last year. It cannot be completely under the child. They can sit on it a bit. Basically, by the time it would actually be a problem your child (both male and female) would have complained about comfort enough to get a new seat.

Wendy

stefplus3

reading all the threads on this site makes me wish she was itty bitty again...there are so many pretty seats out now! she had a pretty blvd but outgrew it height wise :(

obamamama

Stefplus3:

I have a 98 Voyager with the integrated seats. I don't use them but for emergencies but the weight limit is in my manual-- it's 50lbs.

mum2two

At not yet 5, I'd encourage you to keep her harnessed a bit longer. :)

There is no booster called the Safeguard (unless you mean the Safeguard Go, now discontinued, which converts to a backless.)

PP, you may mean the Parkway SlideGuard?

Also, the Parkway, Vivo, and TurboBooster do not LATCH.

The Oobr does.

Yup, I meant the Parkway Slide guard...thanks for the correction.

mom2acrew

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Many sites now have the Regent for $159, Albeebaby did. Not a lot more than another Nautilus, in case you want to go that route.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC