Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Kid Y Harness for a 71 Impala with lap belts only

I posted a question about what to do with my 7 year old, that has outgrown the Nati in booster mode and likes to ride in Dad's Impala in the summer. Someone suggested the EZ on harness for him, but I also found the Kid Y one. This will only be used a few times in the summer, not at all on a regular basis. I noticed that the Kid Y one said that it will work with any FMVSS213 booster, and I am assuming that the Nati would be. Would this be a good buy for us? My son would be broken hearted if he could not ride with Dad this summer.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member Evolily's Avatar

Re: Kid Y Harness for a 71 Impala with lap belts only

The 86 Y had a larger weight range (and I think the Kid Y is discontinued anyway?). You would use the 86 Y with a booster. Graco does not allow its boosters to be used with the 86 Y, so if you chose to do so it would be a parental decision on your part.
    Formerly known as CelticLabyrinth
    Big sister to
    A, 5/06 and C 11/04
    Riding in Safety 1st Incognitos

It looks like I can still order the Kid Y harness on Safety Angel. http://www.safetyangel.com/products.pl?f=product&p=84 I really do not know what else to do.

Senior Community Member Evolily's Avatar

The Kid Y harness is made by the same compnay that makes the 86 Y harness. Both can be used with boosters. The companies who make the boosters may or may not want you to use them with the booster (this goes for both harnesses no matter what the manufacturer of the harness says).

The difference will be the weight range.
    Formerly known as CelticLabyrinth
    Big sister to
    A, 5/06 and C 11/04
    Riding in Safety 1st Incognitos