Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

advice moving front facing toddler back to rear facing

I admit I was not educated enough about carseats and I switched my first child to front facing at 20 months. I regret it to an extent, but I am lazy and dont want to fight it. It's been over a year of her front facing. And now that we're moving the baby into a convertible car seat (still rear facing, I have learned to keep that as long as possible!), I was thinking about switching my first child (now 2 1/2 yr old) into a convertible booster. But then I think I should keep her in her convertible and return her to rear facing.

The problem is my patience I guess. We have tried to rear face her for about 2 weeks with lots of screaming and tantrums. Is it worth trying to force her to be rear facing now that she's been front facing for a year? Do you have any advice to ease the transition back to rear facing. I think the main problem is she can't see around much. And it's a hard for me when she's asking for snacks, drink, etc and I can't reach back to her without getting out of the car.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crazy

Re: advice moving front facing toddler back to rear facing

We recently switched our 3.5 year old RF again after being FF for a year and it went shockingly well. He got a new seat (his sister outgrew her SS1) and I hyped up his new seat and that he got to RF just like his little sister who moved into his old seat. He was so excited about it. My DH was absolutely shocked that he agreed to it and even more shocked that he actually likes it.

In our case he can actually see fairly well (but obviously that depends on your car and your child's height). We talk about the cars behind us and we have a tonne of construction that we drive by everyday which he loves. I think I can actually hand him things easier RF because he's closer to the front and he can reach to take something out of my hand (when he was FF I had a hard time reaching that far back). He's also been trained to accept that I can't do anything unless we are stopped but that hasn't been the easiest thing to learn. If it's a longer trip (or I know they are hungry) I get them all set up before we even move.
    DS 06/2006 - Diono Monterey, Turbo Booster (for now - still shopping)
    DD 09/2008 - FF Marathon, Diono Monterey

I also turned my dd back to rear facing recently. She'll be 3 in April. I talked it up riding backwards just like her little sister and how much fun it would be. I turned her car seat around and she loves it. For the first week she kept asking me every time I told her we were going bye bye if she could ride backwards.
    April Senior checker / Special needs trained
    DD1 10.5yrs Harmony cruz
    DD2 6.5yrs PKWY SG
    DD3 5yrs FF GN

CPS Technician

I let my 3 yo pick his rf seat-he chose an orange CA. I hate orange. It really clashes with the green car... But he loves it and he knows that he can only ride rf in it.
    Jessi, CPST: 2003 Honda Pilot, 2010 Toyota Corolla
    T 12/12/06 49" 55 lbs D 1/8/09 44" 50 lbs
    In Use:2 PKWY SGLs, FR80, GN, HB TB Teaching seats: Titan 65, Lite Rider Retired: Wizard, 2 33 lb MA's, 2 50 lb CAs, 3 XTSLs, Regent
    PetBuckle Review Here

Could you maybe put him rear facing with someone else? I know that my middle daycare girl was forward facing with her parents, but rode rear facing with me til she outgrew the seat with little complaint.

If you could put him in a friend's car or the grandparents rearfacing and then send him somewhere fun, you could talk up the experience.

"Wow! Look, your seat is backwards, just like in Grammie's car! You had a lot of fun at the playground with Grammie!"
    3 kids riding across in a Nissan Altima - how did that happen? Orion in a Britax Parkway, Alice RF in a Safety 1st Complete Air and Terran in a Graco Snugride 35!

I agree with let her pick the seat - and tell her it only works RFing. Something pretty and pink
    Home daycare provider sometimes using: Truefit, Maestro, Radians, Graco TB, Chase, Apramo and a Clek. Canadian CRST
    Expecting a surprise someone in Sept 2012.

I just put my daughter (4.5 yrs old, 41lbs) rearfacing in the XTSL we just got, and she didn't say a word. I just installed it in the car, and the next time we got in, she just climbed in and I showed her how to cross her legs. She thinks it is really funny to ride facing the back like her brother, and she likes that she can rest her head and pretend to sleep in it.

I think it is worth it at your child's age to try rearfacing again, and I like the idea of letting her chose the seat (or a new cover for the seat maybe?). Can she explain why she is upset facing the back? Have you tried sitting next to her so she has someone to talk to back there to ease the transition?
    Natalie, CRST-I, mum of Greg (15), Megan (10), Benjamin and Samuel (6).