Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Important question about rear facing vs forward facing

My husband and I were talking about how safe rear facing is. I read a report that police recommend rear facing for as long as possible and are trying to get doctors to agree. My pediatrcian told me to turn her around at 11 months, because she is so long. He said even though 12 months is the law, he would give me a note saying he recommended turning her around due to her length.

My husband says he sees why rear facing is safe in all accidents, with the exception of rear end accidents. He says then she is safer forward facing and that rear end accidents are the most common. He wonders why they don't test these seats in rear end accidents.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member scatterbunny's Avatar

Re: Important question about rear facing vs forward facing

You dh is misinformed on the actual statistics. Frontal crashes are the most common, by a landslide. Rear-end crashes are actually the most rare.

You need to print out the American Academy of Pediatric's own policy statement on carseats, which has said since 2001 to keep kids rear-facing to the maximum limits of a convertible carseat. So many peds seem to not stay up-to-date with their own information!

http://aappolicy.aappublications.org...cs%3b109/3/550
    ~Jenny

"When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people." ~Abraham Joshua Hesche

Senior Community Member unityco's Avatar

'kay, there are people here MUCH better suited to respond, but I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that even in a rear-end accident, (whether you rear-end someone, or they rear-end you,) the majority of the crash force is going to send you forward. If you rear-end someone, the car rapidly decelerates while your body does not, so you move forward faster than the car until your belt and/or airbag stop you. If someone rear-ends you, it's probably because you're going slower or are stopped. Again, you will be thrown forward by the sudden force from behind. In both situations, your child is better to be thrown against the back of their seat than against their harness. The only application I can think of where this would not be true is if you got into accident while backing up. Side impacts are another story, but RF is better for those too.
    Last edited by unityco; 02-08-2007 at 03:53 PM. Reason: clairity

CPS Fanatic

i'd be tempted to print off the pics of spinal development and take them in to the ped. and ask which he'd rather repair - a leg or a spine.
    Kelly, mom to Aaric (7.5 and 65 lbs), Mikayla (6 and 52 lbs), and Xander (20 mo and 25 lbs)
    No more Huskies due to a wreck...
    Xander's in a MA, Mikayla in a GN, Aaric is temporarily in the pink Vivo...
    Graco SS1 due to come out of retirement in Jan 09

...and "for children in car seats, forward-facing kids are four times more likely to be injured in a side impact than rear-facing kids." -www.carseatsite.com/statistics.htm

If you look at the difference in the crash tests of RFing versus FFing (if ou haven't already) that will probably make a big impact on your decision as well. It is very powerful.

Personally, I was uninformed and turned my daughter FFing at 12 months and 20/21 lb. When she was almost 1.5 I was doing some research and ended up turning her back RFing till she was over 2.5 and at the rear-facing weight limit. I just wrote a story in the coffee break forum about hos she climbed into her "old" RFing seat that I had installed for a baby I was watching and wanted to ride home that way. She's 3.5 and definately knows what is comfortable!

Also, are you concerned about keeping her rear-facing because of her comfort or do you think that somehow her legnth would make her unsafe? Just curious so we can help you more.

9 yr old in a pink zebra NBB and 5-stepping
    6 yr DS1 old in a Harmony
    4 yr old DS2 in a Nautilus and Radian
    18 mo DS3 rfing in a MyRide65

You all rule!!!! Thanks for the info. I couldn't believe my ped said that and in front of dh at that!! I pretty much make the decisions though, he lets me as he knows I read up on it and know more than he does about this subject.

Quote Originally Posted by skipspin View Post
    ...and "for children in car seats, forward-facing kids are four times more likely to be injured in a side impact than rear-facing kids." -www.carseatsite.com/statistics.htm

If you look at the difference in the crash tests of RFing versus FFing (if ou haven't already) that will probably make a big impact on your decision as well. It is very powerful.

Personally, I was uninformed and turned my daughter FFing at 12 months and 20/21 lb. When she was almost 1.5 I was doing some research and ended up turning her back RFing till she was over 2.5 and at the rear-facing weight limit. I just wrote a story in the coffee break forum about hos she climbed into her "old" RFing seat that I had installed for a baby I was watching and wanted to ride home that way. She's 3.5 and definately knows what is comfortable!

Also, are you concerned about keeping her rear-facing because of her comfort or do you think that somehow her legnth would make her unsafe? Just curious so we can help you more.

Yes, that definitely was a concern of mine as they look so cramped with their legs hitting the seat. And of course, my mom and sisters think I am crazy for wanting her rear facing. My stupid sister turned her boys around at 4 months cause she said they just cried and got bored rear facing.

I have been told by ped and many others that her legs are already touching the seat and she will be able to turn around soon. I don't want her front facing, I want what is safe for her, and I know you all will help me with that!!!!

Smile Re: Important question about rear facing vs forward facing

Quote Originally Posted by unityco View Post
    'kay, there are people here MUCH better suited to respond, but I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that even in a rear-end accident, (whether you rear-end someone, or they rear-end you,) the majority of the crash force is going to send you forward. If you rear-end someone, the car rapidly decellerates while your body does not, so you move forward faster than the car until your belt and/or airbag stop you. If someone rear-ends you, it's probably because you're going slower or are stopped. Again, you will be thrown forward by the sudden force from behind. In both situations, your child is better to be thrown against the back of their seat than against their harness. The only application I can think of where this would not be true is if you got into accident while backing up. Side impacts are another story, but RF is still better.
    This is backwards. In a rear-end crash, you will be thrown backward initially (bodies in motion stay in motion and all that...) Your car will be thrown forward, but you, being a body at rest, will tend to stay at rest and the force acting on you will push you toward the rear. The reverse will be true if you are in a frontal impact - including if you rear-end someone. The best way to visualize is to take a couple of matchbox cars and balance a peanut on top. Crash them into each other and see which way the peanut goes.
    Last edited by o_mom; 02-08-2007 at 09:46 PM. Reason: 'cause I can't spell and sometimes it's important....

Quote Originally Posted by o_mom View Post
    This is backwards. In a rear-end crash, you will be thrown backward initially (bodies in motion stay in motion and all that...) You car will be thrown forward, but you, being a body at rest, will tend to stay at rest and the force acting on you will push you toward the rear. The reverse will be true if you are in a frontal impact - including if you rear-end someone. The best way to visualize is to take a couple of matchbox cars and balance a peanut on top. Crash them into each other and see which way the peanut goes.
    That is what I thought.

Senior Community Member unityco's Avatar

Oops, sorry. Knew I should have left it to the experts You mean, though, you will be throw backwards if YOU are hit in the rear, right?

Quote Originally Posted by unityco View Post
    Oops, sorry. Knew I should have left it to the experts
    It's ok...thanks for the effort {hugs}

Sadly (frustratingly & infuriatingly) too many Pediatricians are not current with their own Policy Statements as per the American Academy of Pediatrics -- Jenny supplied that document ... I have printed it off & brought into Ped offices before & I suggest you do the same.

Also, if you click my signature images you'll be taken to my website: I recently updated the carseats page with detailed RF information + other informative links, one of which is full of printable materials to share with medical professionals!
    TIFF ~ doula & all hours childcare provider
    SCARLA: winter '02 . . . Jr. Roller Derby level III
    BEAR: spring '11 ... Recaro Sport + Clek Oobr
    RAHNE: summer '17 ... MicoMax30 + RadianRXT
    childcare: 0-7yrs... Contender + Frontier Clicktight
    {emergencies: Scenera Next, Highback, Topside}

Yes, I missed an "r" there. :-) Second sentence should read:

"Your car will be thrown forward, but you, being a body at rest, will tend to stay at rest and the force acting on you will push you toward the rear."

off to edit.....

Unregistered

Question Re: Important question about rear facing vs forward facing

Quote Originally Posted by o_mom View Post
    This is backwards. In a rear-end crash, you will be thrown backward initially (bodies in motion stay in motion and all that...) Your car will be thrown forward, but you, being a body at rest, will tend to stay at rest and the force acting on you will push you toward the rear. The reverse will be true if you are in a frontal impact - including if you rear-end someone. The best way to visualize is to take a couple of matchbox cars and balance a peanut on top. Crash them into each other and see which way the peanut goes.
    I've been thinking a lot about this recently. I live in a city with over 2 million crazy drivers. I see at least 2 Rear-end crashes every time I travel, even if it is just to go to the store. Here they are WAY more common than front-end. My huge concern is all the videos we see of mock crashes with rear-facing vs. forward facing, well, my child would be thrown just as terrible if someone (which they sure will) slammed into the back of me while he rear-faces. Then, not only that but then glass from the windshield (if hit hard enough) will go flying in his face. I just witnessed this when I went to get gas last night. So now what do I do?

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I've been thinking a lot about this recently. I live in a city with over 2 million crazy drivers. I see at least 2 Rear-end crashes every time I travel, even if it is just to go to the store. Here they are WAY more common than front-end. My huge concern is all the videos we see of mock crashes with rear-facing vs. forward facing, well, my child would be thrown just as terrible if someone (which they sure will) slammed into the back of me while he rear-faces. Then, not only that but then glass from the windshield (if hit hard enough) will go flying in his face. I just witnessed this when I went to get gas last night. So now what do I do?
    In less severe crashes, rear-enders are indeed more common. These kinds of crashes can still cause serious whiplash injuries. This is generally not as much of a concern for children in a harness or high back booster, as they have the necessary head restraint. The forces in these crashes are also much less than in a frontal crash, and not nearly as much of a concern for a child in a properly installed and used 5-point harness, regardless of which direction they are facing.

In crashes with a fatality or serious injury, they are much less common, accounting for less than 10% of all severe and fatal crashes year after year.

http://www.car-safety.org/rearface.html

Moderator - CPS Technician safeinthecar's Avatar

I live in a city with over 2 million crazy drivers. I see at least 2 Rear-end crashes every time I travel

Except, every time you see a rear-end crash, you are also seeing a car that crashed frontally. The car in the back.

A rear facing seat pivots toward the back of the car in a rear impact. This means the car seat and child travel together, eliminating the pull of the child's head on his neck. And the back window is made of safety glass designed to shatter in a way that does not leave shard shards.
    Kimberly
    Proud mommy of Becky 18! Danny 15 Hope 12~Auntie to William-14, David-10, and Logan 2~

Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by safeinthecar View Post
    A rear facing seat pivots toward the back of the car in a rear impact. This means the car seat and child travel together, eliminating the pull of the child's head on his neck. And the back window is made of safety glass designed to shatter in a way that does not leave shard shards.
    Wait, so what does this mean for those of us who tether rf?

Admin - CPS Technician LISmama810's Avatar

Wait, so what does this mean for those of us who tether rf?
    I think safeinthecar was referring to the strain that a child's head and neck would receive if forward-facing during a crash.

It's true that a rear-tethered seat won't rebound toward the back, and there is some thought that for a young infant, that might increase strain on the neck. Even so, that force is much less than the force of the initial impact and the strain a forward-facing child would experience.

Except, every time you see a rear-end crash, you are also seeing a car that crashed frontally. The car in the back.

The statistics don't count a rear-ender as 1 frontal and 1 rear end crash, nor do they count head-ons as 2 frontals.

Moderator - CPS Technician safeinthecar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LISmama810 View Post
    I think safeinthecar was referring to the strain that a child's head and neck would receive if forward-facing during a crash.

It's true that a rear-tethered seat won't rebound toward the back, and there is some thought that for a young infant, that might increase strain on the neck. Even so, that force is much less than the force of the initial impact and the strain a forward-facing child would experience.
    Yes, that is what I was trying to say, the neck loading we see in ffing facing children is eliminated. Sorry I wasn't clearer.

Quote Originally Posted by CPSDarren View Post
    The statistics don't count a rear-ender as 1 frontal and 1 rear end crash, nor do they count head-ons as 2 frontals.
    I was responding to the PP statement that rear end crashes seemed more common because PP sees them daily. I just wanted to point out that there was another crash that was going unseen there.

But that is interesting information. How do the statistics count crashes then?
    Kimberly
    Proud mommy of Becky 18! Danny 15 Hope 12~Auntie to William-14, David-10, and Logan 2~