Someone please, tell me I'm going to grow to appreciate it.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
So, I got a rip-roaring deal on a Mountain Buggy Urban Double. Bought it, sight unseen. Got it. Couldn't find the instructions, finally found them ripped almost in half. Had extreme difficulty assembling it (had to use a wrench to pop off one of the covers on the rear axle. Find the instructions WAY poorly written. Don't like the fabric. Find the harness height so difficult to adjust I can't actually do it. And, my 1 1/2 year old is almost too tall for it. :eek:

I got it for walks with the 1 and 3 year olds around the neighborhood now, and for now-1-year-old and new baby (came with the carrycot) when next one comes. Not jogging, more an all-terrain stroller. I think I'm not going to love it. :( I'm really disappointed in the quality for the prices they charge, and even though it will probably work better than what we had, and I did need something different, I just don't think I'm in instant love with this stroller like I instantly was with my Mac, or in car seat land, my Radians or SGCSs.

Someone, please tell me once I push this thing around the neighborhood with 2 kids in it, I'm going to appreciate it and it will be worth what I paid (even at 60% off...)

ADS

daniele_ut

I LOVE my Mountain Buggy. I mean seriously love it. I actually bought one used right after DD was born and and used it for a year and then sold it because I thought that the P&T Sport was going to be a better fit for us. I was wrong and ended up stewing about it for months until I ended up buying another MBUD (mine is the Urban Jungle). Mine also came with the carrycot that we haven't had occasion to use yet.

It's the only stroller I've found that I can push one handed with my 45lb 5 year old and my 23lb 2 year old in it. It just bounces up over curbs. It has a gigantic basket. It folds flat enough that I can fit it in the trunk of my Malibu with room for other things. I mostly use it for walks around the neighborhood, but that means I can take it to the zoo and other places as well. It's orange, and I love orange.

Give it some time, I think you'll really like it!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Ours is the Urban Jungle too. My hand is still itchy where the fabric rubbed against it (I have a sensory disorder.) I really hope I will love it.

If not I take consolation in the fact I can recoup my cost on CL.

So it does well with your 45 lb. kid in it? My box says it's intended for kids up to 15 kilos (which is only 33 lbs! My 1 year old weighs more than that!)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Good to hear. I did check Craigslist and in good condition MBUDs are listed for about $150 more than I paid, and don't include the carrycot or rain cover. In well-worn condition not including the carrycot or usually rain cover, they're listed for what I paid. So it really was a steal... Just hoping to like it.

Misty-Bug

I don't like the feel of the handle on mine.

not sure why yours says such a low weight? Because when I look it says seat capacity of 120lbs. Even if that is divided by two per seat you still have 60lbs. My single is good until 77lbs. I pushed my friends and her three year olds fit nicely in it. So does her 5 year old. Easy to push too. I don't like how small the sun shade is but the UV cover is nice.

http://www.joggingstroller.com/Mountain-Buggy-Urban-Jungle-Double.pro#pp-tabs

I am sure you will love it. Just give it a bit of time and take it out for a test drive. Mine is a single with a fixed wheel and I really like it. Even though I don't normally like fixed wheels!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I don't know why the box says that, I too thought it was 120 lbs. total weight.

I really really hate the harness height adjustment. I think it is the stupidest idea EVER to make them so inaccessible.

I still don't love the fabric on the stroller. That said I got the carrycot open and the fabric in that is nicer. And I guess I can live with it. I like the way the handle feels okay.

I sat all 3 kids in it. Maggie is awfully close to the top but I think she'll last another year or 2, hopefully. Bridget JUST fits. Probably only another 6 months or so for her. Emma is a bit scrunched. However since neither of them would be in it full-time-- more taking turns in it when they're tired, with Maggie in it most of the time-- I guess I can live with it, IF I can get the stupid harness up to the top. I think I need pliers and I can't find them.

I do love the rain cover. It's drizzly today, if I can get the danged harness adjusted I might walk down to see my dad play at a local coffeehouse tonight (if I can find Emma's rain gear.)

Misty-Bug

you can kind of feel the ends of the harness through the other side of the fabric. You can pull back the slots a bit and stick a finger in there. I basically flipped it from the back while pulling from the front. I also can't stand the harness adjustment. Yeah the fabric is a bit rough but I think that is because it is weather proof. My friend has twin three year olds that ride in it just fine and their 5 year old brother sometimes sits on the front on the foot plate. lol. Works for them!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
You have to remember, I have the mondo torsoed kids.

The clip thingies for the harness are so fat and the slots so thin, I actually can't wiggle them through the fabric on 3 out of 4 of them, and the 4th I can't get back in. Grrr. There's no way to get a finger in-- it's just about the size of a piece of paper or two, and there's no give to it. I have to turn the stroller upside down while open, put an arm all the way up, and use the other hand on the other side to get any kind of traction with them. Did I mention I have a bad back? Yeah, not helping. My arms and legs are all bruised up too. :mad:

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Okay, found a pair of pliers and a hammer. That did the trick. But seriously, stupidest design ever and I look like I got in a wrestling match with a Gammorrean (oh wait, probably not Star Wars freaks here like we are in my house... Suffice it to say I'm covered in bruises. Looks bad.)

I bought mine used and love it. Pushes/glides like a dream with my 5 y/o and 3 y/o in it. Yes, the harness straps are hard to adjust, but at my kids ages I don't even use them, sometimes only over the lap. Mine too says up to 120 lbs. Give it a try for a while, and if you still don't like it, sale it.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
LOL! After walking (in the rain and wind-- what was minor drizzle when we left turned into hard rain and wind about 2 blocks out) to see my dad play last night with the kids, I do like this stroller better, I have to say. Also I did not notice until 3 blocks out that one of the tires was low-- I think fully inflated it would have worked a lot better! So I think it definitely will do what I need it to do-- it's definitely easier to push up a hill (even in the rain with the wind in your face) than my Twin Techno.

Misty-Bug

Also I did not notice until 3 blocks out that one of the tires was low-- I think fully inflated it would have worked a lot better! So I think it definitely will do what I need it to do-- it's definitely easier to push up a hill

oh yeah! The stroller will totally preform way better once you have all the tires inflated!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Love my 2004 Grape MBUS... love it so much I want to rig it up to make it into a carrier for my dogs when they get older and can't walk anymore :eek: The height of the back is fine, to me, Leah still has room, but the short drop to the footplate has been my only complaint for bigger kids. Oh well, I can push it with one hand and hold a drink in the other, so I still like it, though yeah, the BOBS and BabyJoggers are cushier and easier to fold and all... it's just a no-nonsense machine, the MB is, great for pushing easily...like one of those real Humvees that run on any kind of fuel, lol.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
It didn't come with a pump (the manual seemed to indicate it should have. Oh well. Pumps are cheap.) Good to know to keep it with me though. Luckily the nice big basket will make that easy. ;)

daniele_ut

The tubes that come with the MB tires are crappy, really crappy. 2 of mine had leaks out of the box. I replaced the tubes and haven't had a flat since. You can get new standard 12.5" tubes at bike shops or Wal-Mart and they are cheap. I have a small pump, but the head doesn't fit on the stems so I have to use dh's bike pump that has a smaller head on a tube.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC