Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Community Member

Anyone else never completely happy with a seat?

I just can't do it. There is always something I just can't stand. So I want to buy a new seat but then there is something I don't like so I get a different one. And then a different one. And so on. I've had (for convertibles) Uptown, Titan, EFTA, MA, BLVD, RNXTSL. The Titan is our backup and DH has MA in his car and I have the RNXTSL in my truck. I like the leg room in the XT but when putting DS in DH's car yesterday I realized how much I miss the MA. But I do like the XT. But not as much as the MA. I want to sell the XT and buy another MA but then I would miss the XT. Switching seats is not an option, DH is in love with the MA and refuses to part with it. With the XT, my DS could possibly RF till a booster. He's tiny and has a ton of room in the XT.

But I want a MA. Really bad. Why can't I just deal with the perfectly good seat I have? ARRRGGGHHHH!!!!!!!
    Mama to DS1 7-98 in a seatbelt, DS2 11-07 in an Affix and Turbobooster, DD1 12-10 RF in a Headwise, DD2 4-12 RF in a Headwise
    Loving wife to DH

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Car-Seat.org Ambassador Patriot201's Avatar

Re: Anyone else never completely happy with a seat?

I have lost count regarding the number of seats that I have owned. I will try to remember all of them, but I will probably miss a few.

Until I bought my RNXT, I had complaints about every seat. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my RNXT, though. I really don't have any complaints about it. It makes me a very happy lady.

“Nearly all the best things that came to me in life have been unexpected, unplanned by me.” ~Carl Sandburg
    Learning to cope with the unexpected...

CPS Technician

I will fly to and kiss the person who creates the perfect seat that doesn't have something that bugs me.
    DS - 11 Riding in an Incognito
    DD - Two Riding in a Graco Extend2Fit and Peg Perego Primo Viaggio Convertible

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

Yeah, there's always something...that's how I've owned 68 seats . My Roundabout would have been flawless if the shell were 3 inches taller (or, my Marathon would have been flawless if it had the Roundabout's adjuster...). I tolerate my Radian because I got it way back when techs could get it for $95 including shipping... 4 years ago
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Yep, there is always something to hate.
    I love the XTSL, but hate how hard it is to tighten.
    Natalie, CRST-I, mum of Greg (15), Megan (10), Benjamin and Samuel (6).

Car-Seat.org Ambassador Patriot201's Avatar

Just for fun, I will try to remember which seats I have owned. Some of these went back or were sold after only a few days to a few weeks. Others were kept for a long time.

Infant Seats
    Graco SnugRide DX
    Graco SnugRide 22
    Century SmartFit Plus
    First Years Via
    Britax Handle with Care
    Evenflo On My Way
    Cosco Opus 35

Convertibles:
    Britax Roundabout
    Britax Boulevard
    Evenflo Medallion
    Evenflo Secure Advantage I
    Evenflo Ultara V
    Evenflo Triumph Advance
    Eddie Bauer OHS Convertible (Touriva?)
    Eddie Bauer AO
    Century Bravo
    Century SmartMove
    Safety First Avenue
    Sunshine Kids Radian XT

Combination Seats:
    Graco Quest
    Graco Nautilus
    Century Breverra
    Century NextStep
    Evenflo Express
    Fisher-Price Grow with Me

Boosters
    Graco Turbo
    Recaro Vivo
    Britax StarRiser Comfy
    Evenflo Right Fit

“Nearly all the best things that came to me in life have been unexpected, unplanned by me.” ~Carl Sandburg
    Learning to cope with the unexpected...

If you come to st. Louis I'll trade you a MA for a radian XTSL!

There is always something. I'm pretty happy with my seats right now. I just wish my radian went to 45 lbs rear-facing instead of 40 and wish the monterey was easier to get in and out.

Emily tech and mom to Jacob 16, Daniel 13, Benjamin 9, Elizabeth 6. Child care provider to 4 other kiddos.

I think my DH needs to read this thread!!

He thinks I'M bad with owning seats... we've only been through a few unlike some of you.

Evenflo PortAbout 5 (GAH! I hate that seat, everything about it!)
    Alpha Omega (fell for the "last seat you'll ever need" ploy before I knew better)
    Graco SS1 (just wish it were lighter)
    Triumph Advance (replaced the AO, knobs destroyed the vehicle seat)
    True Fit (replaced EFTA, don't like the continuous harness but love the shell height)
    Signo (just wish it had a little more leg room and didn't sit up so high)
    Frontier (love the seat, but hate the mesh fabric... and now that I know the FR85 is coming, of course I'm not happy with what I have)

So to answer the question, I've never been completely happy either. I wish I could buy/sell more seats, but I just can't.
    Jenny
    CPST and mommy to
    Jessica 6.18.06 and Tyler 8.5.08
    Both riding in Frontier 85s

CPS Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Mommy0608 View Post
    Evenflo PortAbout 5 (GAH! I hate that seat, everything about it!)
    Alpha Omega (fell for the "last seat you'll ever need" ploy before I knew better)
    Graco SS1 (just wish it were lighter)
    Triumph Advance (replaced the AO, knobs destroyed the vehicle seat)
    True Fit (replaced EFTA, don't like the continuous harness but love the shell height)
    Signo (just wish it had a little more leg room and didn't sit up so high)
    Frontier (love the seat, but hate the mesh fabric... and now that I know the FR85 is coming, of course I'm not happy with what I have)

So to answer the question, I've never been completely happy either. I wish I could buy/sell more seats, but I just can't.
    Didn't you have a Complete Air at one point too?

Melanie

CPS Fanatic

i happen to like alot of seats but there is ALWAYS something that i don't like. i can tolerate them but always wanting to try yet ANOTHER seat. but of course when you are broke & your DH would flip. nope not happening.
    still waiting for that perfect seat.....even when they are out of seats/boosters alltogether i'm not even happy with my van's seatbelts. its never-ending....oy
    Ginny
    Mom to 4!
    DS1 16yo, DS2 15yo, DD 11yo & DS3 9yo

I used to be unhappy with every seat until I bought a MA six years ago. I'm in love with the MA. I currently have three, one is soon to expire. I'm contemplating replacing the expired one with an XT, but haven't been able to pull the trigger yet because I'm afraid it won't live up to the MA.

I do, however, seem to have that 'never satisfied' problem with strollers. I've had waaayyyy more strollers, probably 25+ over the years.
    Joy~
    Soccer Mom to half a dozen GIRLS

If I didn't have to flip my van seats, I'd be completely happy with the MR I loved the Titan until Sofi outgrew it RF (at 3yrs).
    Mama to Sofi: 7.1 yrs, 46Lbs (47"), Boostered in a Turbo, Vivo, Monterey, Cybex; harnessed in Nautilus
    Nanny to BabyD, 21 months in a RXT, Classic Marathon, Boulevard 70

Quote Originally Posted by Jan06twinmom View Post
    Didn't you have a Complete Air at one point too?

Melanie
    Oh yeah, forgot about that! Yes, I had one for each kid, but only for a few days because I returned them for a variety of reasons.
    Jenny
    CPST and mommy to
    Jessica 6.18.06 and Tyler 8.5.08
    Both riding in Frontier 85s

Carseat Crazy

Nothing ever lives up to the roundabout for me. I have at least one complaint for every other seat, but not the roundabout. Well I guess the roundabout is pretty small, but so is my kid so I guess that isn't really a complaint.

when I had it, I do believe the MA was the perfect seat for what I needed it for... I loved it so much and cried when I had to sell it.

The regents were the same way back then.

The Nautilus was, when it came out...

but there are also so many seats where I've felt as you do now... the Radian, while I'd buy one in a heartbeat because they fit well in my van if I had a child who needed a convertible seat (after starting out in a coccoro, of course), is not a seat I ever really felt as much love for... it was quirky and challenging... I loved things about it, like the tall top slots, the narrow shell, things like that, but it was kind of like a teenager... just hard to love 24/7.

the original Evenflo triumph was like that for me too... I loved how padded and comfy that seat was... I loved the tall top slots... but I couldn't stand the short shell and couldn't bear to keep it as a spare when I knew I could get a scenera if I needed a spare after I bought the Marathon.

And when Ruthie did move from the Marathon to the Regent, I felt that way about the Regent... because she wasn't comfortable when she slept and it was worse because it had been the answer.... the cure... for harnessing the boys after 40lbs... it just wasn't for Ruthie... and she was already too close to outgrowing the Marathon to have kept it over keeping the Regent... which led to Radians.

I don't know if there is always that one RIGHT seat... so much depends on the child and the vehicle... Now if the Nautilus had been out already, it would have been easier to skip the Radians... but then I wouldn't have had a seat for her all the sooner with dh's 2-door... though I could have done what I ended up doing anyway... and getting one of the last made britax laptops online.

Heck, I keep thinking that I should have gotten one of those way sooner... not for a main seat, as it's just not as convenient for that with shoulderbelts... but it definitely would have made traveling when I had to put all 3 kids in the back row easy.

And it would have allowed me to keep Damian from a booster longer... I would have just put Ruthie outboard in her infant seat.

I kind of also feel that with the Monterey... I love everything about it except that it doesn't fit Ruthie as well as the Vivo (but at least it does fit her fine... if I had to use it for her)... and the short latch connectors bug me.

I loved the Olli so much... I just really had no valid reason to keep it for Ruthie... not when I'll have a highback option instead.

I oggle the Oobr and dream of finding one or winning one that shows up at my door... because of how simple and easy it is, how well it would fit Ruthie, and that wonderful rigid latch... but I just don't have the money for it.

I do love the Vivo... I just keep thinking... I wish it had latch.

Check out my new hair blog - Ruthie-dos

With higher shell and rf limits, the EFTA would be my perfect seat.

The harness adjuster really spoiled me for other seats.
    Rachel - CPST-I and Mommy to:
    Tripp - 12/22/07 48" and 45# FF FR85
    Aubrey - 11/20/09 38" and 33# ERF in an XTSL
    Bella- 7/13/11 33.5" 24#- XTSL and MySize70

Yep, I get that. Some seats I don't care for the way they install in my crappy cars. I have locking latchplates, but slanted seats. Like my RN65 was too upright for FF and my TF is too reclined for FF. The Scenera is just crappy in general IMO. Had the ETA when he was 6 months old and then ended up getting the safeseat for the next winter and ended up buying it again about a few months ago when I thought I wanted another ERF seat. I don't like how it sits so stinking high on the base.
    I didn't like that my Radian was easy to install in my car, but stunk in every other car I tried. RF or FF, didn't matter. The TF is not as comparable in shell height for Landen due to the total recline in my van seats, he's on the top slots FF with a 14" torso. Bad, ain't it? So, off to get him a Nauti and see how long that lasts him.

Landen has had 11 seats in 3 years.

1 combi centre -- sold
    2 graco snugride 22-- gaveaway
    3 graco safeseat-- sold
    4 cosco scenera x2-- sold 1 returned 1
    5 evenflo triumph advance x2-- sold 1 returned 1
    6 britax marathon-- sold
    7 sunshine radian 65-- sold
    8 true fit-- still have
    9 graco nautilus-- be here tuesday

So, if you include doubles, that's 11. YIKES. I don't really want to purchase any more, but I still go down the carseat aisle at Target and search for the deals online.

** and possibly trading or selling the true fit shortly**

LOL- welcome to my world But I think I finally found the seat I !!! I absolutely my TF, I love it so much that I have another one on the way I think I am the only one that actually likes the continuing harness
    Last edited by macmomma; 02-05-2010 at 06:49 PM. Reason: forgot a word
    Momma to three munchkins! Own a Recaro ProSport, FR85, TF, Blvd70, Scenera, Radian, Britax Chaperone, Evenflo HBB, Evenflo NBB ... cruising around in a 2011 Ford Explorer and 2011 F-150

I miss my MA. I don't know why. Maybe it is because I lusted after it for so long, even before I had DD1 I wanted one to use as a nanny. I finally got and while I liked it I never loved it. I have gotten so many other seats since then and while I have liked things about them I have never loved them. I am content now but there is still this little part of me that wants another MA. It is right next to the part that wants a cocorro despite the fact that my children wouldn't get much use out of it
    If I'm here tell me to get back to writing
    Writing, dreaming, homeschooling mom to Beth, 10-03, and Ciara, 6-06
    http://dreamingatthesouthdam.wordpress.com/

CPS Fanatic

I think most of us have felt that way but I'm pretty in love with my new XTSL. There isn't much I don't like about the seat. It installed nicely upright for me in my vehicle and my son fits like a dream. It will keep him RF close to 4 yrs old probably and installs nicely FF as well. I love the leg room he has in it and it isn't terribly hard to adjust his harness. It is on the heavy side but I don't expect a seat that RF to 45lbs and FF to 80lbs to be very light. The MyRide was a pretty perfect seat as well but the shell is a bit short for my long torsoed son and I'm not crazy about it in FF mode. If the True Fit Premier didn't have the continuous harness and RF to 40lbs, that would probably be my perfect seat. We loved our True Fit when we used it RF. I really like it FF as well and I the lock offs
    Caleb Joshua: 8/17/2007; 45.5 inches, 46-47lbs, 17 inch torso; FF in a FN85 and Complete Air Sarah Rose: 05/15/2011; 22lbs, 31 inches; RF in a Britax Roundabout 50 and Combi Coccoro