Where are the enablers???

Raegansmom4

So my uncle graciously gave me $1,000 today (no kids of his own, so every couple years he and my aunt gift their 3 neices). I know I should use every penny of it to pay down debt...BUT...I really want a Radian 80SL, which I can get at babycatalog right now for $216. I have my 22.5 mo rfing in a MyRide right now, and I know it should get her to at least 3 yo rfing (she's a shortie but chubby - 32ish lbs right now). WWYD??

ADS

firemomof3

I think it would OK to buy the 80SL but then just pay down your dept with the rest ;)
What a nice uncle you have!

Pixels

Pay down the debt. By the time she is close to outgrowing the MyRide, either there will be newer better seats out, or the price will have dropped on the Radians. Or both.

all together ooky

Another "pay down the debt" vote here. The MyRide will last for a while. Delayed gratification is good and there's the fun of anticipation of what will be out in a couple years!

mommy-medic

I say get it now, BUT ONLY if you can sell something else to balance out the cost. (I.e. sell the MR or other baby gear, or even try to do a swap).

With the recent price matching and discount codes at diapers.com I got a radian XTSL for 203 with free shipping. (I sold a MA with two extra covers for $200, so I broke even).

emandbri

I'd get it but I like the radian better than the my ride. ;) More leg room, easier to get in and out, and rear-facing tether.

Raegansmom4

I would definitely sell the MR if I did get the Radian. We are getting about $4,000 back for taxes, which 100% will go towards debt, so that's why I'm so tempted to take the $200ish from my uncle for the car seat, kwim? We are not doing too bad - other than house and student loan, we have about $10,000 in debt. Which I hate, but it's better than the $23,000 we had a year ago!

Kat_Momof3

don't get me wrong, I'd put half of it to debt... but the other half should totally go to the kids... I view it more as.. half for adults.. half for kids...

I'd get the Radian (price check and get the best deal)... I'd maybe even keep the Myride as a spare (since I don't see one listed for her)

and then I'd take what's left out of the half that you didn't put toward the debt and do something special for the kids... a movie and a meal out... a fun "no reason" trip to the toy store, something like that.

remember, along with being sensible, you also have to have an occasional fun thing...

and especially when all your tax return money is going toward the debt (as it should be... that's REAL income)

Raegansmom4

don't get me wrong, I'd put half of it to debt... but the other half should totally go to the kids... I view it more as.. half for adults.. half for kids...

I'd get the Radian (price check and get the best deal)... I'd maybe even keep the Myride as a spare (since I don't see one listed for her)

and then I'd take what's left out of the half that you didn't put toward the debt and do something special for the kids... a movie and a meal out... a fun "no reason" trip to the toy store, something like that.

remember, along with being sensible, you also have to have an occasional fun thing...

and especially when all your tax return money is going toward the debt (as it should be... that's REAL income)

Thanks! I just didn't want to feel overly guilty using some of it for a car seat. Brin does have a Scenera for backup (just forgot to list it), so I would sell the MR.

Raegansmom4

Good grief. My dh is the worst enabler of all! I asked him, telling him to tell me I didn't need the 80SL, but he said, "sure, go ahead. Sell the old one. You do pretty well selling car seats." Ahhg. What to do...what to do...

armywife12

So this money is intended for the kids? If so, I would SO get a Radian with it and then use the rest for debt payments. I think you can get it cheaper than $200 though. If you price match at diapers.com (assuming you are a new customer) from babyviva (with their 20% off coupon code, SUN2010?) you can get an extra 10% off that price to bring it to about $195 I think. Either way, I would definitely get it but I love my XTSL. My 2 yr old fit fine in the MyRide but probably would have outgrown it RF in height in about 6 months so I used that as an excuse to get the XTSL. I am so glad I did...lol. I would also try to sell the MyRide if you don't need it to help get some of your money back.

Kat_Momof3

see, when your hubby agrees, then you know it's the right move.

But I still vote for getting rid of the scenera and using the myride as a spare so she can rearface even longer in BOTH cars.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC