Can I get some advice for someone who just moved to the UK from the US?

::er!ca::

I have someone who just moved to the UK from the US. She has a 12 month old who weighs 10kg. She didn't take her car seat with her over to the UK, and needs to buy a seat for her child. Because they don't own a car, and won't be driving a lot (only when they ride with someone else, say to the mall or to the park), and because of the currency exchange, she doesn't want to pay more than $250. She'd like to keep him rear facing, if possible.

Thanks!

ADS

LittlePeanut

I was reading info at rearfacing.co.uk and it seems most seats available in the UK only RF to 13kg/29lbs :( Other higher weight RF seats are hard to access and cost a lot. I'm not sure if this link would be helpful to her?

http://www.rearfacing.co.uk/buyersguide.php

I would check into whether ECE approved seats are legal where she is and if they are, look at importing them for use there.

Adventuredad

All ECE approved seats are legal to use all over Europe and also in some other countries. Many rear facing seats in UK have a 13 kg limit (29 lbs) and noe go above 18 kg (40 lbs).

She has the option of choosing Swedish rear facing seats which are approve to 25 kg, have high seat shells and don't need lots of room. If she uses various cars and needs a light portable seat Britax Hi-Way would be her best choice IMHO. It will keep her little one RF to age 4+.

InternationalMama

For $250 she's not going to have a lot of choices. How long is she going to be living in the UK? I think both the Concord Ultimax and Britax First Class fit into that price range. They are convertible seats that rear face to 13 kg, which could be a long time or a short time for her kid depending on their growth curve. They are both nice seats readily available in the UK although at least the First Class is quite heavy.

If she wants something that will last longer than that I think she will need to spend more. In addition to rearfacing.co.uk another good UK resource is incarsafetycentre.co.uk. And she may also want to take a look at Adventure Dad's website carseat.se. (She can legally use Swedish seats as Adventure Dad said.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC