Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    CPS Fanatic

Extra/travel seat questions

We fly 3-5 times a year, and I am looking for an extra seat for DD to use when we travel and also for the very limited times that she is in DH's truck. The thing that concerns me about both instances is the lack of RF tether on seats other than the Radians and Britax. She is almost 2 and still RF, is about 25 lbs., so she will be RF for a while yet. With DH's truck, she would be riding in the rear seat of his quad cab Dodge, so if the seat were to rebound, it would go right in to the back glass. That scares the crap out of me. For that reason, I would almost feel better using her Britax Marathon in his truck, that is what she is in in my car. I guess the same holds true when we travel, although she wouldn't be in a truck, but in a rental vehicle, probably an SUV or minivan, since we will have 4 children and can no longer all fit in my mom's car. So I don't worry AS much about rebound but I still worry. I might just be looking for something for her to use when were travel/DH's truck once she is FF, lol. Anyway, I was at BRU last night and looked at the Evenflo tribute. It seemed like a step up from the Cosco Scenera, with a bit more padding for comfort, and the My Ride 65, which I really liked. While not a cheap seat, it is cheaper than the Britax seats, AND would get passed down to #4 at some point too.
    Any other suggestions are welcome!
    Oh and 1 more thing. We do have her in a carseat always, when we fly, on the plane, so it would need to be a fairly easy install on the plane too.
    Lori (I drive Cadillac Escalade ESV) SAHM to Brooks 9/13/01 seatbelt only, Brady 7/4/03 seatbelt only, Kinsadie 2/23/08 Pink Britax Frontier, and Brakin David 6/7/10 FF in a cowmooflage Britax Frontier Clicktight

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

Re: Extra/travel seat questions

The Tribute only rear-faces to 30 lbs., and has a short shell.

The Evenflo Triumph Advance is more commonly recommended. The MyRide is well-liked. The Safety 1st Avenue is also highly recommended for travel. I really can't think of much else for $150 or less. Of the 3, the MyRide is probably the easiest to install in many cars, while the Avenue is the easiest to carry and fit on planes.

With the trade-in event at BRU right now the MyRide is just a bit over $100, and that's an excellent price for that seat.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

Titan 5 sport is nicely priced. Goes to 35 lbs RFing, 50lbs FFing.

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

I'd look at the Safety 1st Avenue. That's our travel seat. It installs pretty upright on the plane rear facing, but it'd be fine for a two year old.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

We have the Uptown for our travel seat. works great for our 2.5 year old.

(FYI, the Uptown is the previous version of the Avenue, they are very similar. )
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

Senior Community Member aeormsby's Avatar

We also have an Uptown (like PP said, older version of the Avenue) and have it installed in our Dodge Dakota quadcab where it isn't used much and use it for flying. My DS just turned 2 and has lots of room to grow RF (he's about 25lb and has 4-5" over his head still) and my just turned 4yo would still fit in it FF at 35lb, 38"(?).

We take a few pool noodles with when we travel for RF installations but it hasn't ever been a problem. And it fits great on the plane and is much lighter to travel with than our MA's.
    Ann

DD - 1/06 - 5-stepping
    DS - 12/07 - Incognito, Recaro Performance Booster & Harmony Literiders
    And a Bubble Bum for backup/travel

CPS Fanatic

BRU didn't have the Avenue in the store today. I will look at the larger BRU in Phoenix, when we are there in a couple weeks.
    I did take another look at the My Ride and I honestly don't see how it could even fit on a plane, unless the armrests were up, and in some seats, they don't go up. WOW, it is wide.
    I think I would like to stay under $100 for a travel seat.
    Lori (I drive Cadillac Escalade ESV) SAHM to Brooks 9/13/01 seatbelt only, Brady 7/4/03 seatbelt only, Kinsadie 2/23/08 Pink Britax Frontier, and Brakin David 6/7/10 FF in a cowmooflage Britax Frontier Clicktight

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

The Avenue isn't at BRU. Try Kmart or Sears.

The only seats that don't have movable armrests in coach are the bulkhead rows. So you're pretty much guaranteed to get movable ones. Not a big deal. And if you find yourself on board and they don't move, ask to be reseated.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

CPS Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by wendytthomas View Post
    The Avenue isn't at BRU. Try Kmart or Sears.

The only seats that don't have movable armrests in coach are the bulkhead rows. So you're pretty much guaranteed to get movable ones. Not a big deal. And if you find yourself on board and they don't move, ask to be reseated.

Wendy
    We fly standby, my husband is an airline pilot, so we are at the mercy of the airline, and can't be picky about what seats we are in. We typically only get on last and just take what we can get. So I want to be sure that I have a carseat that will work in any seating position on the plane.
    I am a former flight attendant, although I haven't flown while working in 12 years, wow that long. hehehe Anyway, I know there are some aircraft that don't have movable armrests on the aisle seats. But typically I wouldn't be doing a carseat install in an aisle seat.

I will have to look at Sears next time I am at the mall.

With the sale on the Radian 65SL

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=115149

That might be worth getting if you really want a seat that can tether RF and travel with. It's heavy, but with it folding up and the carry strap, it seems like it would be easy enough to travel with.
    DD1 12 years old--seatbelt, DS 9 years old--Monterey
    DD2 3 years old RFing in XTSL

The Radian won't fit RF on many airlines at all, and on some only in the bulkhead seats. FYI.

Also, most people say that Sears has stopped carrying the Avenue in-store. KMart mostly still has it though.

I have an Avenue - for the sitters car and for travel - it works quite well, my daughter seems comfy in it, and for under $100 - you can't go wrong.

DD - 12/07 - Backless Turbo
    DS - 9/13 - Boulevard