Extra/travel seat questions

lovemyfamily

We fly 3-5 times a year, and I am looking for an extra seat for DD to use when we travel and also for the very limited times that she is in DH's truck. The thing that concerns me about both instances is the lack of RF tether on seats other than the Radians and Britax. She is almost 2 and still RF, is about 25 lbs., so she will be RF for a while yet. With DH's truck, she would be riding in the rear seat of his quad cab Dodge, so if the seat were to rebound, it would go right in to the back glass. That scares the crap out of me. For that reason, I would almost feel better using her Britax Marathon in his truck, that is what she is in in my car. I guess the same holds true when we travel, although she wouldn't be in a truck, but in a rental vehicle, probably an SUV or minivan, since we will have 4 children and can no longer all fit in my mom's car. So I don't worry AS much about rebound but I still worry. I might just be looking for something for her to use when were travel/DH's truck once she is FF, lol. Anyway, I was at BRU last night and looked at the Evenflo tribute. It seemed like a step up from the Cosco Scenera, with a bit more padding for comfort, and the My Ride 65, which I really liked. While not a cheap seat, it is cheaper than the Britax seats, AND would get passed down to #4 at some point too.
Any other suggestions are welcome!
Oh and 1 more thing. We do have her in a carseat always, when we fly, on the plane, so it would need to be a fairly easy install on the plane too.

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The Tribute only rear-faces to 30 lbs., and has a short shell.

The Evenflo Triumph Advance is more commonly recommended. The MyRide is well-liked. The Safety 1st Avenue is also highly recommended for travel. I really can't think of much else for $150 or less. Of the 3, the MyRide is probably the easiest to install in many cars, while the Avenue is the easiest to carry and fit on planes.

With the trade-in event at BRU right now the MyRide is just a bit over $100, and that's an excellent price for that seat.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I'd look at the Safety 1st Avenue. That's our travel seat. It installs pretty upright on the plane rear facing, but it'd be fine for a two year old.

Wendy

aeormsby

We also have an Uptown (like PP said, older version of the Avenue) and have it installed in our Dodge Dakota quadcab where it isn't used much and use it for flying. My DS just turned 2 and has lots of room to grow RF (he's about 25lb and has 4-5" over his head still) and my just turned 4yo would still fit in it FF at 35lb, 38"(?).

We take a few pool noodles with when we travel for RF installations but it hasn't ever been a problem. And it fits great on the plane and is much lighter to travel with than our MA's.

lovemyfamily

BRU didn't have the Avenue in the store today. I will look at the larger BRU in Phoenix, when we are there in a couple weeks.
I did take another look at the My Ride and I honestly don't see how it could even fit on a plane, unless the armrests were up, and in some seats, they don't go up. WOW, it is wide.
I think I would like to stay under $100 for a travel seat.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The Avenue isn't at BRU. Try Kmart or Sears.

The only seats that don't have movable armrests in coach are the bulkhead rows. So you're pretty much guaranteed to get movable ones. Not a big deal. And if you find yourself on board and they don't move, ask to be reseated.

Wendy

lovemyfamily

The Avenue isn't at BRU. Try Kmart or Sears.

The only seats that don't have movable armrests in coach are the bulkhead rows. So you're pretty much guaranteed to get movable ones. Not a big deal. And if you find yourself on board and they don't move, ask to be reseated.

Wendy

We fly standby, my husband is an airline pilot, so we are at the mercy of the airline, and can't be picky about what seats we are in. We typically only get on last and just take what we can get. So I want to be sure that I have a carseat that will work in any seating position on the plane.
I am a former flight attendant, although I haven't flown while working in 12 years, wow that long. hehehe Anyway, I know there are some aircraft that don't have movable armrests on the aisle seats. But typically I wouldn't be doing a carseat install in an aisle seat.

I will have to look at Sears next time I am at the mall.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The Radian won't fit RF on many airlines at all, and on some only in the bulkhead seats. FYI.

Also, most people say that Sears has stopped carrying the Avenue in-store. KMart mostly still has it though.

SavsMom

I have an Avenue - for the sitters car and for travel - it works quite well, my daughter seems comfy in it, and for under $100 - you can't go wrong.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC