One of my DC kids was in a wreck...

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
And he has a broken leg. He is 2.5 yo and weighs about the same as ds. He was ff and slid out of the harness. :confused: His leg was broken when he went under the drivers seat. :eek:

My ONLY guess is that the chest clip was done and the buckle wasn't?

I'm not completely sure how it happened, but that is what I was told.

Anyone else got ideas of how it happened?

ADS

MoreLatte

My first thought was that he wasn't buckled. Thank goodness he only has a broken leg, could've been so much worse!

Simplysomething

My first thought was the harness routed incorrectly and/or too loose.

Poor kiddo, broken leg can't be any fun, still could have been worse. Here's for as easy a recovery as possible.

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
Poor kiddo, broken leg can't be any fun, still could have been worse. Here's for as easy a recovery as possible.

This kid is one of the rambunctious kids I've ever met. Maybe he'll slow down a little. My understanding is that it was a femur break and he is in a cast up his leg. I could not imagine ds w/ a broken leg. :(

I do know it was a MA... It has been left w/ him before for gma to pick him up.

ntrenary

OH poor little guy! Did he unbuckle his own seatbelt? Or did his parents not buckle him in. My sister only buckles the leg portion not the chest clip on her twins carseats. It drives me crazy, but she never listens.

capeKO71

My guess... only the chest clip was done. I see it all the time.

When the impact happened, he slid right down and out.

Kat_Momof3

I can understand what the pp's sister does... doing the buckle but not chest clip (though why not just remove the chest clip if you do that?)... even though I wouldn't recommend it except in rare special needs cases... and usually then only with manufacturer okay to remove the chest clip...

but I think it's pretty obvious that this poor kid wasn't buckled in... and only had his chest clip done...

I hope his parents replace the seat and don't reuse it... and I hope they learned their lesson and will properly restrain him from now on.

I'm amazed he wasn't hurt a lot worse.... thank god all he has is a broken leg.

henrietta

That's terrible! Poor kid!

It *is* possible he unbuckled it himself and the driver was unaware...it happened to me w/my dnephew. He could unbuckle the FPSVD if he tried hard enough. I turned him forward facing in my car when I couldn't lift him in the seat anymore rearfacing (he was huge!!!), but it was a relief to me to be able to notice when he was fiddling w/the buckle. He couldn't get it easily or every time he tried, but it only takes one time!

It's also possible the driver thought she had it buckled. My dad is almost deaf and cannot hear the click, even w/his hearing aid. He's buckled ds before and I've discovered him actually unbuckled after I got home (and I watched Dad buckle him in). Now, I always check behind him! :thumbsup:

Hope the little guys heals soon!

henrietta

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
I've also buckled it...and by the time I got home one side had come out. It clearly hasn't 'snapped' in all the way (so now I always give it a tug)...but I did buckle it. It's probably the only thing on Britax's seat that I do not like. I love my Radian and my KF buckles SO much better.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC