Would you use the Frontier as an "unlatched" booster and other wwyd's?

melniemi

I don't have latch in my van at all right now and I don't know when I'll be able to fit everyone with my captain's chairs back in - I have the modular seating right now (8 pass) - 02 Chevy Venture.

Anyway, I sold my 2nd marathon the other day (18 mon old came over in an untethered(super old car, no ta's) ffing scenera and left in my ma, rfing and tethered :)). So I'm trying to decide what to do next. I have only the seats listed in my siggie, no spares.

Dd1 is almost even with the 2nd to top slot on the Frontier in harness mode. I was kinda hoping she'd make it to 7 in it, but that is 17 months away, so not sure we'll make it. I'm not sure I want her using the Frontier as a booster w/o latch. It seems so heavy. Can you tether it in booster mode? Would you use it unlatched?

So I'm considering selling/trading the frontier for an xtsl. Dd1 could use it until summer, when she turns 6, she's about 46" 45#s now. Then dd2 could rf in it and baby could have her ma. Or I could just keep my frontier and buy an xtsl.

My other thought is that dd1 will make it to 6 in her frontier, harnessed. Then I could pass it to dd2 who will be 3y 5m or so. But she'll still be tiny - she's 36" and 28#s now at 3.

So I don't know. I do know that I'm not fond of using my ma's ffing anymore. I know dd2 could make it to 4+ rfing in her ma, but now that I sold my other one, I will need another seat when baby outgrows his kf.

I could just eek out every ounce out of the current seats I have and reevaluate then, but well, I like to have things figured out. So, if you read my jumbled mess, wwyd?

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I would, if it would fit in the third row of my van in the highest setting, that's where I'd prefer to have it for DS. I do wish they'd ever get back to us if it's ok to leave it top tethered but not lower LATCHed in booster mode, though...

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
My opinion is just that, opinion, but I'd never use the frontier in booster mode untethered. It's way too heavy, and the basic physics of it creep me out. In a collision with forward motion, which is nealry all, the "thing" that is stopping the booster is your child being smooshed into the seat belt. 24 pounds of hard plastic is crushing your child into a seat belt. I don't see how that could be safe, not at all. And i understand the seat "passes" testing, but I don't believe, from what I understand testing to be, that testing at all even remotely adequately takes the smooshing issue into account. There are no sensors on teh backs of the dummies, right? SO who knows what that heavy seat slamming into the back of the child might do to their spine? back, neck? And the extra force of 24 extra pounds pushing them into the harness in front? How much extra stress is that? I don't care if there is no evidence to support my feelings, I think sometimes you have to go with your mommy gut, and my mommy gut is SCREAMING at me that it can't possibly be safe.
If i had to use a vehicle without tether anchors for a boostered child, I'd get a light booster, like a TB.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I would use it. Just make sure the seat belt it in when it isn't being used too!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Europe has had big, humongous, heavy boosters for at least 10 years now (Recaro Start, I know for sure, before that I have no idea, OEAMTC doesn't seem to go back much farther with crash testing), and kids in the countries that require boosters up to age 12 don't seem to have boosters getting lighter and lighter....while in the US the old standard of boosters not weighing more than 9 pounds has been ignored and abandoned (thank you, Dorel Summit! you paved the way for the rest of the heavy boosters that aren't attached to the car somewhow, at least the Start and Bodyguard had belt locks or a top tether to get around their obesity...).

Intuitively, yeah, I guess a heavy booster seems like it could be bad, but in reality, I don't think it has any bearing on injuries sustained in real life crashes.

littleangelfire

I would, and I do whenever my son isn't in his Regent. I, too, would like to know if I can use it tethered but not anchored.

I was a little freaked out at bobandjess's post - so good to hear a little on the other side. I have a '99, so no LATCH. Hoping to get another vehicle in the next year or so, but wil use it without until then. i have to trust that its safe without.

OP - I don't blame your daughter for not liking the Monterey - my son doesn't either. I will likely sell it at some point to help fund a remodeled Frontier.

all together ooky

I'm another that would not use it in booster mode without it being LATCHed. Maybe the added weight wouldn't do much damage. But I just don't like it. That weight will add to the pressure being exerted on the child. I choose light boosters that can't be LATCHed or heavy boosters that can. :twocents:

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
(thank you, Dorel Summit! you paved the way for the rest of the heavy boosters that aren't attached to the car somewhow, at least the Start and Bodyguard had belt locks or a top tether to get around their obesity...).

Intuitively, yeah, I guess a heavy booster seems like it could be bad, but in reality, I don't think it has any bearing on injuries sustained in real life crashes.

Crap..does this mean I can't call the summit "useless" anymore? ;):p

Evolily

I would use it. I am not aware of any real world injuries associated with booster weight. Latched booster, especially tightly latched boosters, somewhat worry me after the TC tests showing increase abdominal loading (this may be negated by increased SIP). And I imagine a loosely latched booster wouldn't reduce the pressure on a child's back. Plus the booster is riding down with the child, rather than slamming into the child- it doesn't have time to gather any momentum.

Of course, as with anything, my views could be changed if evidence shows that they are dangerous. Hopefully with the next generation of crash test dummies they can add some more sensors!

melniemi

I *think* I've decided to use it harnessed as long as she fits. Get an XTSL for dd2 when baby needs her marathon or soonish if I find a good deal - wishing I hadn't missed out on the deal this past weekend.

When dd1 outgrows the frontier in harness mode, I'll likely get her a Vivo or something unless we have a new vehicle with Latch - or dd2 is big/old enough to ff and I can put my captain's chairs back in my van, put the big boys and dd2(ff cuz I can't fit a rf seat back there with 2 boosters) in the third row and baby and frontier in the 2 latch spots in the middle.

Thanks for the input. Gives me stuff to think about (obsess about) while I decide what to do for sure. lol

lovemyfamily

I am using it only with a seatbelt, but I made the parental decision to also tether it, since Britax has yet to give an answer on it, I just feel better with it tethered too.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC