5 yr old/37lb. Down Syndrome in a HHB

skitle1802

Ok, so my neice (yes my neice is a month older than me) has a 5 yr old with Down Syndrome. He's 37lb and I'm not 100% on his height but I believe he is under 41". She moved him to a Graco Turbo HHB right after Christmas, like a week before his 5th bday.
I feel really bad that he is not in a 5pt still. There really isn't anything stopping her. She says he sits very well in the booster. When I asked her about why he wasn't using his convertible anymore, she said its just easier.
She has him, a very pettite 30 month old who is FF (smaller than my 30mo old) and a baby due in June. They drive a Jetta and an ext. cab Ranger, so I'm thinking she is just worried about 3 across and leg room in the front seat. But I don't feel he is safe.
Does anyone have any information about Down Syndrome kids in car seats? I've tried to tell her about ERF but I think she doesn't care because I wasn't this conservative in my car seat usage with my 7 and 8 yr olds (who are going back into HHB and are super psyched!) Thanks!

ADS

Laurette

He's very little even if he is 5 years old. I would not be comfortable with it. My 4 year old is 43 lbs and he does "fit" in boosters but he would never ride in one.

I would ask this question in the special needs forum, you may get more specialized guidance there.

Evolily

5 and 37 lbs is an acceptable time to booster, and honestly- I wouldn't try to convince a friend who had a child with those stats into a harness seat unless the child was moving out of position. Yes, *I* would have a 5 yo, 37 lb special needs kid in the harness- but it doesn't mean that a high back booster isn't acceptable. I'm not aware of any reason a down syndrome child would be safer in a 5 point harness.

What I would do, if she needs help, is refer her to a tech to double check how she is using the booster AND remind her that the screws need to be in the armrests if they aren't there.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Children with Down Syndrome sometimes have, uh, what's the thing with the neck? Antio-something something instability? Anyway, cervical spinal problem...

If he has that, he should be rear-facing as long as possible.

If not, if he fits a booster and uses it appropriately it's fine.

That said some kids with Downs are prone to behavioral issues that may necessitate longer harnessing. It all depends on the kid (and even what's going on that day.) Kids with Downs are also more prone to ASDs than the general population. BUT if he sits well that's probably not the case (does she know what "sitting well" really entails? Some parents don't.) But that's something you have to take on a case by case basis, obviously, each kid is different. (My kid has neither DS nor an ASD, and was not ready behaviorally for a booster until almost 6...)

So if he has not got the spinal problem (I think they aren't usually able to do anything about it until 5 or 6? from what I've read) and sits properly I'd let it go.

mamamonkmee

It's hard to say but I know my 2 yo with ds will be harnessed as long as possible.

most drs do the neck xrays at 3 so at 5 he should have had those. my biggest question is how is his muscle tone. my 2 yo has pretty good muscle tone but thats a big deal with most kids with DS.

My "Typical" almost 5 yo is in a high back booster using the seat belt. he's 40lbs and very tall.

capeKO71

Is he sitting properly the entire time? Is he unbuckling the seat or putting his arm over the belt? does the belt fit him properly?

If there are no behavior issues from his DS impacting his booster sitting, then I'd just leave it at that.

skitle1802

Thank you everyone for your replies.

She said that the first week he moved his shoulder belt once but other than that he sits upright, no slouching, leaves the belt alone, etc. They only drive short trips around town so falling asleep in the car isn't an issue.
His muscle tone is good, and she is very good about getting him every checkup possible to make sure he is developing without complications.

So from what I have read, I feel that I can accept her decision and worry less. I probably will try to get her to ERF the 30 month old and the new baby though! :D

ETA: Yes the screws are in the armrests.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
She has him, a very pettite 30 month old who is FF (smaller than my 30mo old) and a baby due in June. They drive a Jetta and an ext. cab Ranger, so I'm thinking she is just worried about 3 across

Does your sister realize that it's going to be much harder to buckle a booster than a harnessed seat when she has 3-across? In fact, that's the main reason that my DS is still in a harnessed seat for now - I drive a Ford Focus(similar in size to a Jetta, I think) and there's just not enough room for a child to easily reach down and buckle when there's a booster, a harnessed seat and an infant seat.

You might go at it from that angle in terms of getting her to consider putting him back in a harnessed seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC