Anybody sew kids clothes?

LuvBug

Im learning how to sew and need some recs on patterns for kids clothes... mostly boy, but some girl too. And affordable! and easy to read!!! And if you have any tips lol!

Also if you know anywhere online to get good fabric for cheap.

ADS

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
I don't sew kids clothes, but I sew a little. I hate patterns so I make my own by ripping apart something I like and using the pieces to make a pattern for a "new" one :) I also have a friend who is doing cool things to spruce up her kids clothes (I'm not sure where she finds time for this while homeschooling three children and pregnant with a 4th...), but she takes the sleeves of something and puts it on something else, etc. Very cute!!! Scroll down about halfway and you'll see some of the things she's done recently: http://thesolleyfive.blogspot.com/

LuvBug

cute!
I havent sewn anything yet on my machine... well not recently, just got it serviced after sitting in the garage forever. I made a toga for latin class in high school lol! and then I made an asian baby carrier for DS... that was it. Ive since made 2 totes and 1 art supply holder on a machine at work. The seamstress there is teaching me to sew when we dont have anything better to do lol! She was having FUN with my machine. It is a kenmore from the 80s but has some weird stitch options that made cool patterns!

Im getting carried away!!!!

scatterbunny

Mark JUST dug out my old sewing machine today, what a cooincidence that you posted this! :p I haven't sewn in 14 years, so I'm pretty rusty. But I want to start embellishing Hayley's clothes and possibly even making some simple stuff. Also was thinking about trying to make my own pocket dipes/trainers. :D

LuvBug

oooo! We can start an online sewing support group for beginners lol! Lets have a bi-weekly chat scheduled! :p lol!

Seriously though, we can give tips and share patterns. I dont have any right now...

scatterbunny

I don't either! :p Mark said I should start out with something simple, like a pillow. I bought a couple patterns a year or so ago for some simple summer dresses, shorts and tank tops, but haven't done anything with them. I think the sizing is now too small for Hayley, but I can make them anyway and give them away, or for the dresses, just make them longer.

I'll share whatever I find/learn!

Michi

I am a 'beginner' too!
Do you know what is REALLY easy...(for those of you with girls)...I found dresses where the 'pattern' is already printed right onto the fabric! You just cut it to whatever size your child needs, and sew it. It is SO easy! They usually have them in holiday fabrics or with characters, and our Wal-Mart carries a ton of these in the fabric/craft department.
I am not good at button holes yet, either, so I usually use velco where they say to put a button, and then sew a 'decorative' button the outside.

Alicia-N-2SafeBugs

Senior Community Member
My hubby bought me a sewing machine almost 3 years ago and the first thing I sewed was a crib bedding set for my dd that I was pg with at the time. After she was born, my best friend got pg with her first and I made a crib bedding set for her. I decided to try clothes, so I decided to sew a dress for my dd to wear on Halloween (as Minnie Mouse!). I figured if it was too terrible, it was only for Halloween so it would be okay! It turned out pretty well, I think! I even had her wear it for her 2nd birthday party..
sDSC03249.jpg

DSC03132.jpg

After Halloween, I made pajama pants for my kids.

I want to try another dress...maybe an Easter dress or something.

I don't have any advice on how to pick patterns...I just find something that I like the looks of and that says it's easy, lol!

I like to buy fabric off Walmart's clearance stacks. I can find fabric for $1-$2 a yard. That pink polka dot fabric was $2/yard.

nisi

Senior Community Member
Oh, I love sewing! I wish I had more time for it.

Let's see...
For boys or girls, about the easiest thing in the world to make is elastic waist shorts or pants. Very simple. The patterns are all pretty much the same - the only difference is how wide the leg is and if it's tapered, straight, or flared, so pick one that's the right size and cheap. But, if the pattern calls for any notions besides fabric, thread, and elastic, it's unnecessarily complicated so pick a different one. Little tip - trust the pattern, because at one point, it looks like you're putting it together totally wrong, but it'll make sense when you're done. Promise. :p

For girls, plain sundresses or jumpers are easy. You can use the same pattern over and over - a light cotton for summer or a corduroy or denim for winter. Another tip - I hate hemming the arm holes so I sometimes buy coordinating bias tape and sew it around the arms and neck instead of hemming.

For fabrics - if you have a stretch stitch on your machine, you can start with fleece. It is a very forgiving fabric ;) Otherwise, plain ol' cotton or ploy-cotton blends are easy to work with. I buy a lot for fabrics at JoAnns. If you sign up for their mailing list they'll send you a 40% off coupon every few weeks. Walmart is ok too. The dollar bin is great when you aren't too picky about color or content. I've never bought fabric on-line, but I've heard http://www.fashionfabricsclub.com/ is pretty good.

Lilsid

I have been sewing for 17 years and I love it. I like to get my fabric at Wal-Mart since it’s pretty cheap. Then I watch Jo-ann craft stores flyer for sales. They will run $1.99 and $.99 pattern sales every few months. For a beginner try the simplicity patterns first. The it’s sew easy simplicity patterns are very easy to read and make. They are always like $1.89 each so its very affordable. Stay with cottons and fabrics that dont have any stretch to them until you get the hang of clothing making.

The community colleges and even some sewing machine stores give great lessons and they are very affordable. Once you get the basics down its allot for fun but sewing is like any foreign language it take practice and you need to follow right along until you get the hang of it then you will cut down on your errors.

Sorry for the run on babbling I just got home from the ER and I am full of pain meds.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I am definitely a beginner when it comes to sewing. My mother, on the other hand, is practically a professional. Her volunteer job is as a costumer. She sews about 2-4 hours per day, every day. She makes UNBELIEVABLY beautifal and creative garments. I wish I had inherited the "sewing gene." :)

LuvBug

For fabrics - if you have a stretch stitch on your machine, you can start with fleece.

what is that? sadly I do not have my manual anymore, so I dont know what I have lol! I know how to use it, just dont know what everything is. It has some nice stitch options though.

LuvBug

unfortunately the only craft store we have is Hooby Lobby, and their fabric section is about as big as my trunk lol!
Our walmart is no longer doing fabric and has gotten rid of the crafts all together at the moment because they are remodeling. I was told by the crafts manager that all walmarts were getting rid of fabric... but I doubt it.
We had a sewing store that I got a bunch of fabric for 2-3$ a yard from before they closed. So I have about 11 different prints, about a yard or so of each... and some good thread.
We have a sewing machine repair store that is also a brother dealer, he carries good thread too... but thats it.
There is a hancock across town but I hate it lol! They hardly have anything I like and are so pricey.

I did run across a boutique that sells their ends, so Im going to keep an eye out for something good there.

I think Ill start with some cheap random fabric or even old bedsheets to practice. Then Ill get my sis to pick up fabrics when she picks out her DD's stuff. Her MIL sews all DN's clothing, so sis buys all the fabric for that. Or we can make a day out of it after the baby is born.

JaRylan

Back in the day when Cabbage Patch Kids were all the rage (the first time, back in the 80's) my mom would help me and all my friend's sew outfits for them. My Grandma helped me make a puff square quilt. I bought myself a new machine about 7 years ago and have made a few things and I have a stack of mending to do. I've had a friend show me how to hem a pair of pants and I even hemmed 3 pairs under her supevision...but I seem to re-develop a fear of hemming no matter what...not a good thing for a short person to be afraid of. I would really like to take a class so that I would actually be doing things the proper way and not just winging it, lol.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC