Question What to do with kiddos in a 71 Impala

mlohry

So DH brought up an issue we are going to run into this summer. He has a 71 Impala that him and our 2 boys, ages 7 and 5 love, in the past we have installed the Nati's with the 5 pt harnesses in with the lap belts, our issue this year... 7 year old is just too tall for the 5pt harness and now is in booster mode. What to do now? Put him in the 5 pt. harness even though he is too tall, use a lap belt, or don't let him ride at all, and basically break his heart. I guess what I am wondering is is there any conversions you can buy that would work, my DH has suggested putting seats in that have shoulder belts built in, but that would basically wreck the authenticity of the car. This car is only used in the Summer, we live in MN, but they boys do love to go cruising with dad on the weekends. Thanks for help!
P.S. how do I get my signature and picture to show up, I did it last night and it did not work, I can see the pic on the sig page, but it does not show up on here.

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Lap belt only (with or without booster), or outgrown seat, are not safe options. A shoulder belt would be the best choice, or you could have a top tether anchor installed and use a vest or harness. But basically, you'll have to choose between authenticity (lap belts only) and not allowing the child in the car.

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
I am subbing. I want to know too. Dad just informed me that my 67 Mustang is in the works. The rebuild starts this summer so my kids will be in it sometime and I want it in its original state.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Both your kids are small enough to be in rearfacing harnessed seats, so they should be okay as long as you can fit seats in the back.

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
Both your kids are small enough to be in rearfacing harnessed seats, so they should be okay as long as you can fit seats in the back.

Yes, now. But like her, I will one day face the problem. I plan to keep the car as long as I possibly can... My dad has owned it since I was a baby. He took it apart for a complete show-worthy paint job (he was pres of the HOD Mustang Club) and then got hurt at work, until recently he hasn't had the $$$ to have someone else rebuild it for me.

Of course, back in the day carseats were here and there.

Isca

Try this http://www.hipmonkey.com/Ez-On-86Y-Universal-Harness_p_135.html

I am thinking that this vehicle does not have a tether anchor, you could have one installed (check with car man on that). You can use this harness with a booster seat, or you can use it with lap only belt and top tether.

What happens when my child outgrows the Britax Regent? Well, if you are not comfortable at that point to move them into a booster seat using an adult seat belt, there is another option - the 86-Y Harness.

It can be used from 40-168 lbs.

The E-Z-ON 86-Y harness is certified for use with an attached tether and lap belt for passengers from 40 to 168 lbs. Smaller children 40 to 50 lbs are encouraged to a booster seat with the harness. You can use ANY booster with this harness, the booster MUST be used from 40-65 pounds, but the booster MAY be used as long as a child properly fits in the booster.

It's also important to note tether weight limits: this harness can't be used in a Honda for example without the special tether kit that comes with the harness installed. Honda tether limit is 40 pounds.

Millions of family vehicles are equipped with unsafe lap-only rear seat belts ... yet retrofit shoulder restraints are unavailable or extremely expensive.

With E-Z-ON's UNIVERSAL HARNESS, your back seat passengers will enjoy the same level of protection as airline pilots and race car drivers.

* FMVSS Tested
* Costs hundreds of dollars less than dealer retrofits
* Easy to install and use
* Made in the USA
* Tilt-lock adjusters make the harness easy to adjust to any height
* Use 66-168 lbs. in passengers cars and trucks.
* Factory installed tether anchors can be used 66-80 lbs (unless other wise directed by the owner’s manual). For 80-168 lbs. the E-Z-ON tether kit must be installed.

Hope this helps!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC