Can your SO install a seat as well as you can?

rodentranger

I had the CA uninstalled in the Altima to make room for a dog and then drove the PIlot to work, leaving the Altima home with Dh and the kids.
DH needed to go somewhere and ODS wanted to go. DH knew enough about the seats to know that ODS rides in the orange seat and that it wasn't installed, so he "installed" it.
He did it rf'ing (yay!), but he tethered it :eek:and I haven't been brave enough to see how tight it is. The manual is on the front passenger seat....:rolleyes:
He had to pick ODS up today in the truck so I left hte GN for him....I'm scared to see what he's done with the locking clip. He was supposed to call and hasn't yet.
I think it's time for a lesson in installing each seat in each car!
ETA: He can install the MAs in the Pilot and the Altima. The CA is new ad having a seat in the truck is new.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
He could probably do an acceptable job. As well as I can, no. But then again I've installed about a million more seats than he has and have a lot more practice.

Wendy

NannyMom

DH has never installed a seat. He has both back problems and arm problems. So I'm not going to torture him with it. I leave a carseat installed in his vehicle. It would only come out in an emergency. When I did my leg room photos, I didn't take out his EFTA, I got another at BRU (test install).

tl01

Not even close... And it drives me crazy! He just doesn't process seats
the way I do. I think our problem is that he wants step by step instructions on how to do it and there are nuiances for each seat and car. Seriously... I worry about what would happen if something happened to me.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
My DH could install a seat correctly if he wanted to. Some specific seat in some specific car, I'm sure he can do just as well if I teach him.

General "a car seat" in "a car" ? No.

Blondie87

Nooo way. I don't even want to think about how he would install a seat. I need to train him, but he doesn't want to learn.. lol. :rolleyes:

aja

neither of us are techs or anything but he could do as good a job as i could. maybe better (he is stronger and more technically minded).

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
Dh doesn't "do" those hook thingies (LATCH), but he does a good seatbelt install in his vehicle. He bypassed the TFP's lockoffs once, but knows better now. I trust him enough to leave ds w/a seat for dh to pick him up w/o me there. I only will do this as long as his sister isn't around. it annoys the you know what out of her that ds is rfing. She tries to turn him and I fear dh doesn't have the balls to stand up to her when it is her vehicle/her ground. I do... I have...

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
It depends on the seat. He can put a rear-facing Radian in with LATCH or seatbelt just fine. It helps if I set up the harness, etc. before hand. He can put in the SafeGuard Go or the SafeGuard Child Seats (with LATCH or belt on the SGCS.) He can follow the directions if needed on a seat he's unfamiliar with, it will just take him a looong time. He does get acceptable installs but I can usually get them in better. And I wouldn't trust him with a 3 across. He does fine with a booster or the RSTV.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
My DH could install a seat correctly if he wanted to. Some specific seat in some specific car, I'm sure he can do just as well if I teach him.

General "a car seat" in "a car" ? No.

Just read this, and that's it exactly. If I teach him to put a specific seat in a specific car, he'll do it right.

He's not so great with the troubleshooting other peoples' installations though. :)

Kaede's_Mom

My DH rocks at installing seats. I show him once and he is good to go :thumbsup: In fact there are some seats he now installs better then me since I am scrawny and can't get some seat belts tight enough with out him.

libranbutterfly

DH does a pretty good job. He did RF tether a scenera once, but only because he had been installing marathons RF. He gets them very tight and secure. *ALMOST* better than me in our 2 cars with our seats. he doesn't do tethers though.

aclayton74

I know he can install them forward facing. Rear facing is another story. The one time he did it he put the seat belt through the forward facing belt path :thumbsdown:

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Better than I can because he has more strength. I always have to get him to tighten up my installs. And he's mechanically minded, excellent at following instructions and interpreting them if they are unclear. :thumbsup:

P1ally

He thinks he can, but he leaves them looser than I would like. He also hates/doesn't get lock offs:rolleyes:

I'm sure he could do better than me if he knew how to do it.. He's pretty strong..
Drool2.gif

rodentranger

Rock solid GN installation with properly used LC....:D
No manual because it fell out somewhere and we don't speak or read Spanish...that's the only manual I still have with the seat.

Genevieve

CPST Instructor
Depends on the seat. He does fine with the Nautilus, but no way could he do the Radian without some serious schooling.

babygirlsmom1005

He can get them tight (within less than a 1/4 inch movement).....but not as tight as I can, and when we work together - we rock installs!!! :D

TheNimpsGirl

Depends on if I've already shown him how, which seat it is and if I'm around to help.

He can install the SS1 base in either of our cars without a problem. He could install either the TF or the MR if I was standing around so he could ask questions. But overall, he does a great job with installing the seats.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC