Ride Safer Travel Vest

tl01

Okay.. I've asked about it before... but I'm really considering it now. Is this really a reasonable choice for a 4.25 year old who is 42 lbs (right now before he has turned 4)? I want a safe alternative for him for when traveling but don't want to compromise his safety. He will be in a seat that has a tether and shoulder belt always. I will try to sit him away from the doors whenever possible. What are we sacrificing by using this instead of a traditional seat?

ADS

Evolily

The only thing you are sacrificing is a shell (which is why many people don't like to use them outboard without side curtain airbags). It essentially functions as a forward facing 5 point harness.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
You're also sacrificing a wee bit of convenience. Some people find it onerous to put in and out. Safety wise you're not losing much, and in some types of crashes may gain something.

tl01

Is it hard each time it is used? Can you leave it partially installed when the child gets out? Can't imagine it would be too much for a week long trip and then trips to my parents home when I take the train... 5 days at a time. My parent's cars have side curtains but he'd be in the middle there. My rental for my possible summer trip I'm not sure about but I'd try to have him in the middle there too. We will rent either a minivan or premium level car so it will be a big car. So please reassure me that in the middle position this is better than a booster. I am willing to bring a seat if that is the better choice. Convenience is nice
but never my priority.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
If you're using a lap belt you can leave it threaded through part way and hanging by the tether. If you're using lap/shoulder with tether same thing but it's more to do and undo each time.

It's absolutely safer in the middle than a booster for a kid who is not ready to sit still all the time in a booster. It's equal for a kid who is fully ready for a booster, except maybe in some kinds of crashes the lower profile makes it even safer as they don't travel as far.

tl01

Thanks for the info. It's a hard choice
bc a booster wouldn't be the choice if he wasn't in the vest. He'd likely
be in a Radian instead.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC